Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dome lights wont come on when doors open?

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by i12drivemyMP5 View Post
    I have the JDM footwell light kit hooked into my dome circuit with a red halogen bulb in dome and when the doors open, footwells light up with dome and dim out when door closes like dome does. When I turn on the dome with the switch on roof, the footwell lighting does not come on and dimming the gauges does nothing to dome or footwell lighting. When the roof switch is in off position, only the footwell lights come on when doors open. This all works independent of parking/headlights.
    OK,.. That makes sense... Your foot well lighting is connected to just the one positive wire coming from the timer circuit to the dome light.
    That wire would always be doing it's thing regardless of what position the dome switch is at.

He could tap into that wire too (instead of the bulb socket) and get his foot well lights to work like yours but he still couldn't have the foot well lit up while driving unless he combines his circuits with a new circuit.

(and yea,... you could probably just hook both circuits to it but if you open your door with the headlight on, you could blow something up as mentioned)

You can also tap into that wire in the harness somewhere else instead of the dome light itself.
    The Diagram Dude

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

I don't care about having my footwells lit while driving or any other time than getting in/out of car but if I did I would just do footwells separately with it's own switch................

2002 mazda protege 5

I wouldn't want my feet all lit up when I'm driving... I would find it distracting...

My dome light is always turned off...
    I get in and out of my car in the dark.. I find the ignition and start it without looking.

My only problem is finding the keyhole in the door in the dark....
    I don't use my remote.. I don't like the fancy toys.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

When my car finally rots away, I'm gonna gets me a car that's not all complefied...

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

Bumping this up instead of creating a new thread.
    I found the two wires in driver a pillar that go from the the dome switch, one is positive one is ground I suppose.
    Wired them to the leds, all working good except the on and off switch are not working. It does not matter what position the switch is set to - it still lights up on door open.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneex View Post
    I found the two wires in driver a pillar that go from the the dome switch, one is positive one is ground I suppose...
    I'm pretty sure that's not right.

The two wires are both positive.
    One is live all the time so you can turn on the dome light without the key in the ignition.
    The other is positive for when the door is open.
    Ground is through the screws of the dome light into the metal roof.

What you probably have happening is some sort of short circuit/cross talk between the two positives but luckily the LEDs are so low current that you didn't fry your timer/door circuit.

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's not right.

The two wires are both positive.
    One is live all the time so you can turn on the dome light without the key in the ignition.
    The other is positive for when the door is open.
    Ground is through the screws of the dome light into the metal roof.

What you probably have happening is some sort of short circuit/cross talk between the two positives but luckily the LEDs are so low current that you didn't fry your timer/door circuit.
    Wow damn, did not expect that. So I just ground it to whatever and the switch will work?
    Or is it not possible to use the switch if I don't wire to the metal tabs?

2002 mazda protege 5

Wow damn, did not expect that. So I just ground it to whatever and the switch will work?
    I'm not 100% sure but yes I think so... Treat those two wires as positives and use any ground.

The wiring diagrams are missing a lot of pages so there's a lot of guess work... Anything tied to security was deleted.

Just be careful not to short the timer/door circuit or you could fry it... Then you'll have no door activated lighting. (one guy did do that and the circuit was dead... And I'm pretty sure the circuit and it's little microprocessor is located in the cluster.)

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

I'm not 100% sure but yes I think so... Treat those two wires as positives and use any ground.

The wiring diagrams are missing a lot of pages so there's a lot of guess work... Anything tied to security was deleted.

Just be careful not to short the timer/door circuit or you could fry it... Then you'll have no door activated lighting. (one guy did do that and the circuit was dead... And I'm pretty sure the circuit and it's little microprocessor is located in the cluster.)
    Where can I get a copy of said wiring diagram?

2002 mazda protege 5

Where can I get a copy of said wiring diagram?
    At the dealer...

You may have to buy the Factory Service Manual first (FSM) for about $200 .. Then you will qualify to purchase the Wiring diagrams for $100-$200...
    Even in American dollars.

I would greatly appreciate if you purchased the Wiring Diagrams and posted them to this forum...
    I can help a lot more people with the full wiring diagrams..

I hope you have the $300-$400 to buy them... Good luck...
    Last edited by pcb; 10-05-2017 at 07:22 PM.

2002 mazda protege 5

I remember going to the Mazda dealership in the late 80's to buy a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for my 1983 Mazda GLC...

It was just after they were "Allowed" to sell the FSM to customers... I spent $200,.. Not including the wiring diagrams.

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

2002 mazda protege 5

Same ones I've got... There's a whole bunch missing...

Registered Member

BJII Astina SP20

At the dealer...

You may have to buy the Factory Service Manual first (FSM) for about $200 .. Then you will qualify to purchase the Wiring diagrams for $100-$200...
    Even in American dollars.

I would greatly appreciate if you purchased the Wiring Diagrams and posted them to this forum...
    I can help a lot more people with the full wiring diagrams..

I hope you have the $300-$400 to buy them... Good luck...

Wiring diagram manuals on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2002-Maz...YAAOSwTJxZ1lVT

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by JazzySP20 View Post
    Yea,.. That's them... $220 in Canadian dollars with the shipping.

Too rich for me... My car's not worth much more than that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast