In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dome lights wont come on when doors open?

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

Thats good to know, trying to figure out how to connect it to the circuit and keeping the option of on/off aswell.
    I currebtly have ambient led lights that come on with headlights, wired to the radios illumination. Would love them to come on when a door opens too. Any suggestions on how I can keep them connected to illumination and controlled by dome lights? I understand that simply wiring it to the circuit while not disconnecting them from illumination will fry the circuit, correct?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

Can I not pass a wire from the circuit and a wire from illumination to a XOR gate? If illumination is off doors do light up the leds but if illumination is on doors dont try to light up the leds.
    Im not sure how to wire it all up though to be honest.
    If this proves to be too much of a pain then ill just keep it the way it is.

2002 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneex View Post
    Can I not pass a wire from the circuit and a wire from illumination to a XOR gate? If illumination is off doors do light up the leds but if illumination is on doors dont try to light up the leds.
    Im not sure how to wire it all up though to be honest.
    If this proves to be too much of a pain then ill just keep it the way it is.

Whatever u do just make sure ur conscious of load as well, everything wired extra in a circuit can cause fuses to blow, then people usually up the amperage of a fuse (i.e. 25 amp to 30amp) then cause wires to overheat and then comes the fun part. U let the magic smoke out the module and that magic smoke can not be put back in.

SC:derty_rabbit IG: derty_rabbit add me up

2002 mazda protege 5

Thats good to know, trying to figure out how to connect it to the circuit and keeping the option of on/off aswell.
    I currebtly have ambient led lights that come on with headlights, wired to the radios illumination. Would love them to come on when a door opens too. Any suggestions on how I can keep them connected to illumination and controlled by dome lights? I understand that simply wiring it to the circuit while not disconnecting them from illumination will fry the circuit, correct?

All of that is possible but kinda tricky to design.
    You'd basically be using the different power feeds as signals for a powered control circuit.

To keep things simple, and to not overload anything, you could just wire into the bulb socket of the middle light and not put a bulb in. (or try to find an LED for it) then run it to the front LED's.
    You could switch them from always off, to always on, to on only when the door is open.

It's not quite what you want but it's simple and the hardest part would be feeding a wire from the middle to the front.
    The Diagram Dude

2002 mazda protege 5

I went out to my car and checked the bulb for the middle light and it is a 10 Watt bulb.
    So if you were to use a bunch of LED's totaling 10 Watts or less, you will be fine.
    You could string up a second set of ambient LED's all on the same circuit.

I'm pretty sure the bright LED's are about 1 Watt and the ambient ones about a tenth of a Watt.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

If I wire a strip of leds to the bulb socket while keeping the illumination wire still wired will it fry it?
    Say I wire it that way and then turn on headlights with a door open?

2002 mazda protege 5

There is two positive wires running to the middle light.
    One I from the timer circuit using the door switch and the second is 12 Volts all the time.
    I don't remember if there is a negative wire or if it uses body ground.

The switch feeds one positive wire to the bulb, then the other, then none for off.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

If you run wires from the timer circuit in dome down to the front? footwell? lights then why wouldn't the dome and footwells do the same thing depending on what position the dome switch is in?

2002 mazda protege 5

If I wire a strip of leds to the bulb socket while keeping the illumination wire still wired will it fry it?
    Say I wire it that way and then turn on headlights with a door open?
    As long as you don't put in a 10 watt original bulb, you will be fine.

You can just leave the bulb out or get a LED for it and run the strip as well.

Keep an eye on your total Watts, you don't want to go over ten Watts.

Don't combine circuits... The LED strip should be powered Only by the middle light.

Your ambient lights right now are controlled and dimmed by the dimmer dial on the dash... You can't combine the circuits without some fancy circuitry added.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by i12drivemyMP5 View Post
    If you run wires from the timer circuit in dome down to the front? footwell? lights then why wouldn't the dome and footwells do the same thing depending on what position the dome switch is in?
    They will but he can't run the foot well lights off both the dimmer dial on the dash AND the dome light at the same time.

The guy that blew his dome circuit had too much power going through it.
    He didn't blow a simple fuse, he blew a non fixable circuit. (he could probably replace his cluster though)

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

Quote Originally Posted by i12drivemyMP5 View Post
    Because I want them on when I open the door, off when it is closed and on when im driving.
    Switching it to on when driving and then off when I am exiting will get annoying quickly.

2002 mazda protege 5

Because I want them on when I open the door, off when it is closed and on when im driving.
    Switching it to on when driving and then off when I am exiting will get annoying quickly.

But you don't want your front lights (the ones near the rearview mirror) on when your driving do you?

What about leaving your ambient lighting the way it is,.. controlled by the headlights and dimmer dial then adding separate foot lighting and front lights hooked up to the dome circuit.

Registered Member

Mazda protege5 99

Sorry if I got everyone mixed up.
    I have footwell lightning, not ambient light.
    4 led strips wired to a led controller.
    The controller is wired to illumination (headlights on/off) from the radio harness.
    I wanted to make it so that when I open any door the footwell lights up, so say the car is off and I am getting into the drivers seat the footwell lights come on.
    However I want to retain the ability to turn the footwell lighting on/off with the headlight switch.

The lights near the rearview mirror are not related to this, I just used them as an example.

2002 mazda protege 5

Well,... I suppose you could get some kind of circuit that would use the dome light as an input signal fed to your LED controller,... I don't know how to do that.

Or,... You could get one of these...

It's a dome light bulb and it's only 1.44 Watts then tap into the bulb holder, feed wires to the front LED's then down to the foot well to a few more bulbs.
    You would have two separate lighting systems for the foot well but that could be good because you could have brighter lighting to see your way in and out of the car.
    Last edited by pcb; 07-28-2017 at 12:12 PM.

......................... i12drivemyMP5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

323F

I have the JDM footwell light kit hooked into my dome circuit with a red halogen bulb in dome and when the doors open, footwells light up with dome and dim out when door closes like dome does. When I turn on the dome with the switch on roof, the footwell lighting does not come on and dimming the gauges does nothing to dome or footwell lighting. When the roof switch is in off position, only the footwell lights come on when doors open. This all works independent of parking/headlights.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast