Radiator question

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
What is the difference between the radiators with the tow package as opposed to the radiators without the tow package. Does the heavy duty cooling one have an extra hose going into it. This is for the 2007-15 cx9. Can you use a heavy duty towing one on a 9 that doesn't have the tow package?

What is the difference between the radiators with the tow package as opposed to the radiators without the tow package. Does the heavy duty cooling one have an extra hose going into it. This is for the 2007-15 cx9. Can you use a heavy duty towing one on a 9 that doesn't have the tow package?

Are you talking about the ATF cooler?

The radiators themselves are the same but the towing package (or AWD where it's standard) uses a different transmission fluid cooler and adds a second fan control module.

AT coolers are easily added aftermarket for little money if that's your goal.

Last edited:
I have AWD but no tow package. I also have 2 fans. When i check on the dealer parts website the two choices are with tow package or without tow package. Which one would be correct for and AWD without the tow package or can i use either one.

The AWD comes prepped for the tow package in that I believe it already has the better cooler, 2 fan controllers and the wiring prepped in the back. All that's missing is the hitch itself and the final wiring for the trailer lights.

There are several threads here on how to install the hitch and wiring in your AWD.

I would go with an aftermarket hitch (I used Curt) as the OEM one requires trimming the bumper. The class II Curt I installed bolted on easily and wired up with a harness I also bought from Curt.

If you go with aftermarket, the receiver will be below the bumper. A drawbar with a 4" rise (5" drop) will work perfectly to get you to a standard 18" hitch height once installed.

Back