Auto light sensitivity

:
2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.
Is the auto light sensitivity setting suppose to adjust the time for headlights to turn on when it gets dark? It seems no matter what setting I put it to when I drove into an indoor parking garage that is not well lit, it still takes 9-10 seconds for the lights to turn on. I've set it to high and low and they're all the same it seems, same with my mazda3 too. Any idea?

It adjusts the level of light before the lights come on, not the time. Without sufficient "soak" time, the lights would be flashing as you drive under trees for example.

Under custom settings in the manual they noted it as "timing by which lights turn on". I know it's based on the surrounding light and darkness levels. If I have the car on and cover the sensor completely, the headlights turn on right away. I just wish they come on a bit sooner like my previous cars, I think within 3 seconds of entering a dark garage.

Under custom settings in the manual they noted it as "timing by which lights turn on". I know it's based on the surrounding light and darkness levels. If I have the car on and cover the sensor completely, the headlights turn on right away. I just wish they come on a bit sooner like my previous cars, I think within 3 seconds of entering a dark garage.

Did you turn your DRLS's off? If not, the headlights should already be on, but very slightly dimmed.

Did you turn your DRLS's off? If not, the headlights should already be on, but very slightly dimmed.

Haven't turned them off yet, planning on tho. That's why I was wondering about the delay in turnings on the lights when entering a sudden darkness.

I think if you're going less than 5 mph, all the front lights shut off if the daylight. May explain why it seems dark in the parking garage. I checked mine and it takes about 15 seconds to come on when entering a garage. You could manually switch them on in the garage I guess if you need the light sooner, but I agree there should be a way to bring that time down to like 5 seconds.

Anything covering the light sensor (uhm)

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Anything covering the light sensor (uhm)
Light sensor for auto headlights is on center top of the windshield utilitizing the rain sensor. It's highly unlikely the sensor got covered by any objects.

Light sensor for auto headlights is on center top of the windshield utilitizing the rain sensor. It's highly unlikely the sensor got covered by any objects.
Then make sure the windscreen around it is clean perhaps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No adjustment to the delay from when light sensor triggers the lights. Adjustment only modifies the trigger point. My assumption is that the manual is implying "time" as actual time which they turn on by earlier or later due to ambient light levels at sunset. So lighter setting will turn on at an earlier time than a darker setting due to having to wait for the sun to set for a bit. Just my guess.

The delay is to make sure it's actually dark and that the lights aren't flashing every time you drive under a bridge, etc.

If this a constant issue for you I would suggest you manually turn the lights on as you're pulling into the garage to avoid the delay (if it's an issue for you) and flick it back to auto when turning the car off, leave the auto mode for on the road.

Not really an issue, I just would rather it turn on within a few seconds instead of close to 10 seconds. I just flick it off then back to auto for the most part. On my maxima the light turns on soon after going into a garage, within 3 seconds I believe, and then turns off about 20 seconds after exiting garage into daylight. I like that setting more but no biggie, I was just curious.

Well it is supposed to turn on within a few seconds not 10. However it could also be related to how USA DRLs work. I suggest you contact Mazda USA HQ (not where you bought it from) and see what they say.

Well it is supposed to turn on within a few seconds not 10. However it could also be related to how USA DRLs work. I suggest you contact Mazda USA HQ (not where you bought it from) and see what they say.
Mazda North American Operations.

10 seconds does seem excessive but maybe it just seems that long. In dusky conditions, mine will strike up under a bridge.

Back