2014 CX-5 GT FWD Fuel Economy and Dealer Services

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Hey all. I purchased my 2014 CX-5 GT FWD in August of 2013. It has 35.5k miles on it. My last 3 fill ups have progressively gotten worse. 250mi, 225mi and today 220mi to the tank. I make a short 2mi highway commute every other day and drive a mile up to the gas station every morning. I don't go out much- having to be by my computer 14 hours a day on call sucks. That being said, do you see this improving by having the dealership do the two fuel system/injector cleaning services? I don't mind spending the $200 one time just to see if it works. If it doesn't, lesson learned. I just won't have it done again. I've been averaging between 19-19.8 mpg. It's hot here in Texas. I do use the AC and I make short trips but I feel I should be getting better results.

Short trips kill mileage and engine cleaning service will not fix it. Spending $200 is like buying an extra 100 gallons of gas or getting a free gallon of gas for your next 100 fill ups.

Run a couple cans of Chevron Techron thru, two separate tanks of gas. That'll clean the injectors of most gunk, if there's any buildup.

Pull the spark plugs, look at them. They should be a uniform brown.

Check your cold tire pressure.

If you are using more A/C, that's where the gas went.

If you are only driving 2 miles, when does the blue light go off? Mileage will be terrible until that goes off. And even worse with the blue light on and AC running. This weekend, I was stuck in 100 degree weather and in traffic. I average 11 MPH for the tank to give you an example and only got 23 MPG. My lowest in years.

Depending on the time of day, the blue light goes off anywhere between 1-3 min. My 2mi highway drive is actually 4mi due to the return trip but it's only the past 3 fillups where I haven't been getting my 21-23 combined mpg. The best this vehicle has ever gotten was 24mpg and that was straight highway for 3-4 hours going 65-70.

All pointers you gave are bad mpg examples. Tire pressure is a start. Verify and put 2 psi more than what door sticker says. For your driving pattern I would not expect more than 22 mpg ever.
Beyond that- maybe the dealer can diagnose.
Sadly for this driving pattern even Camry / Accord won't hit past 25

. The best this vehicle has ever gotten was 24mpg and that was straight highway for 3-4 hours going 65-70.

Have the dealer see if your parking brake is dragging. You should be getting much higher MPG at 65 mph, if no headwind.

Depending on the time of day, the blue light goes off anywhere between 1-3 min. My 2mi highway drive is actually 4mi due to the return trip but it's only the past 3 fillups where I haven't been getting my 21-23 combined mpg. The best this vehicle has ever gotten was 24mpg and that was straight highway for 3-4 hours going 65-70.

But 2 miles in one direction will not give you great mileage. The engine may not ever fully warm up.

Your 24 MPG at 65-70 is concerning. I have a 2014 GT and I can get 30 MPG at those speeds. The fuel system/injector cleaning services are a joke and won't do anything. You might want to check your plugs and alignment as well as the brakes as mentioned above.

Back