Dealer wheel swap

SndChsr

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Hello everyone, soon to be new 2017 CX-5 GT owner. Going to get her end of next month. My dilemma is such. I absolutely hate the rims offered on the 2017 models. They look like a 5 sided shamrock or something. Would a dealer be willing to swap wheels for me for the 2016 type if they have one on the lot? I believe there are still plenty of 2016.5's floating around.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

The offset is a little different and you would lose your TPMS sensors if that matters to you, but maybe they would or you could surely find some '16 take-offs that someone has for sale and sell yours to a local used wheel shop.

You can ask... but dealer will most likely say no thanks.

It changes his 2016, and will make it harder for him to sell, unless there is that special buyer that likes those 2017 wheels and wants a 2016 with them...

Recommend finding a set of wheels you like, and buy them and have them installed to your 2017, using the 2017's tires. Figure this will be from $600-1000 in order to buy the wheels, swap the tires, and do the balancing, etc. You will then be able to get some of your money back by selling off your unwanted 2017 wheels... $200-400

No harm asking but I doubt it greatly. Whatever about their looks on the 2017 but they definitely do not suit a 2016.5 - why would a dealer who is trying to shift the last of his 2016.5 stock want an odd-ball on his hands? FWIW, have seen a post somewhere with the 2016.5 wheels on a 2017 and they just don't suit the lines of the car at all! Personally, I have come around to the 2017 wheels ... they look much better in reality than in photos.

Like bigtex has mentioned earlier, there's pressure sensor build-in to the valve stems for 2017 CX-5 TPMS system but there's not for 2016's. There's almost zero chance a Mazda dealer would be willing to swap wheels/tires between two model years. It's more likely to find a Mazda dealer swaps wheels/tires from the same 2017 model year as it won't hurt the TPMS system and may only need initialization process to recognize new pressure sensors.

The best way is to find aftermarket wheels you like which is cheaper, or find different OE wheels you like from any possible sources. But you have to add the additional cost of pressure sensors needed for 2017 CX-5.

Then it's going to be difficult to sell your 2017 19" GT wheels as most people are not impressed just like you. I already saw one member who are trying to sell a set here. :)

2017 Cx5 19" wheels and tires for sale

This is becoming more common as OEMs equip cars with "aftermarket" style wheels but they are ugly lol.

I have been toying with getting some of that wheel pin stripe tape in black and taping off the back side of the "triangle" created by the silver part of the wheels.

A quick photoshop - it looks like it would look nice:

psedwheels.jpg

jetydosa,

That looks a lot better. Show us the real pictures when you are done.

Thanks for the answers guys. I didn't know that there was an offset difference. I've had dealers swap wheels when I bought some of my previous cars so I thought I may get lucky again. I just love the last gen wheels, more so than most aftermarket ones. Ughhh...I guess it's time to start wheel shopping. Thanks again for your answers.

Yep more like the CX3s GT wheels although I believe those are 18s ie not swapable but even if they were I think it would be found in the #notgonnahappen file..agreed 17 GT wheels are a fail!

Last edited:
Yep more like the CX3s GT wheels although I believe those are 18s ie not swapable..agreed 17 GT wheels are a fail!

It's almost as if they put all this sweat and effort into designing the body and interior on the 17 and totally ran out of energy and ideas by the time they got to the wheels. With such a beautiful design of the car, they could've done a lot better with the rims. I guess I'm off to shop for aftermarket ones.....sigh.

I have been toying with getting some of that wheel pin stripe tape in black and taping off the back side of the "triangle" created by the silver part of the wheels.

psedwheels.jpg

I was actually going to black out the silver parts with gloss black vinyl but have been putting off doing it because of how tedious it'll be to cut each slice of pizza. I might just give your idea a try this weekend, seems much easier :D

Compliments "gauden 44" for photoshop:

3Xpj16O.jpg

TSa1Xlf.jpg

Comlpiments "Ashe2"

20170426_181733623_i_OS.jpg

Compliments "clads01" for photoshop

CX-5_black_wheels.jpg

It's almost as if they put all this sweat and effort into designing the body and interior on the 17 and totally ran out of energy and ideas by the time they got to the wheels. With such a beautiful design of the car, they could've done a lot better with the rims. I guess I'm off to shop for aftermarket ones.....sigh.

They are an odd choice. Would love to see some of the alternatives they considered.

I also wonder if the car wouldn't look better without the black plastic trim around the wheel wells and sills. The wheel design they chose, when combined with the black wheel well trim, makes the wheels appear awkwardly small to me.

The bottom machine gun grey with all black wheels looks good except they will show the kerb scratches easily

I also wonder if the car wouldn't look better without the black plastic trim around the wheel wells and sills.

That's part of the reason I went with Black.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A great idea. Looks good. They've been some advertised on the used markets already with tires which I might go with to put on my first-gen CX-5. I think it suits the first-gen more so than the 2016.5 mags would on new-gen CX-5.

It's quite popular here of cars with previous gen models upgraded with new-gen wheels.

Back