Rust Proofing your new Mazda?

andre6_

:
Mazda CX-9 GS-L 2017 AWD
I maybe wrong but older Mazda tend to rust very badly inside out. I bought my new Mazda but did not get the added Rust Proofing for it. Not sure if I should get it sprayed with oil from a local shop. Any recommendation or good place to go to? I'm located in Markham Ontario Canada.

Cheers!

Look into a product made by AMMO. You can coat the car yourself with just a microfiber towel these days.

I maybe wrong but older Mazda tend to rust very badly inside out. I bought my new Mazda but did not get the added Rust Proofing for it. Not sure if I should get it sprayed with oil from a local shop. Any recommendation or good place to go to? I'm located in Markham Ontario Canada.

Cheers!

Hey Andre,
I'm in Ontario, too, and have thought about this...I suggest you poke your head under your CX-9 and take a look at how accessible the undercarriage is for spraying a Krown coat (or similar). There are a series of panels and covers, made up of a sound deadening material...probably also helps with aerodynamics. Unless your installer (or you) are willing to carefully disassemble these covers, I'd guess you will not be getting a proper treatment.
I did vehicle spraying as a side job in college, and it's about turning the cars quickly. Taking the time to remove panels is not what they want. I'd guess the installers would get their skinny wand, jam it strategically under panels and give a squirt...knowing you will not disassemble things to inspect the job.

As for the doors and rockers...It's a toss up: The protectant can help in these areas, but they usually need to drill holes in your shiny new truck.

For what it's worth I believe that modern cars are properly treated at the factory via the 'dip' they get in the manufacturing process. Additional materials sprayed by most of the aftermarket shops just serve to trap moisture and ensure that you'll get rust in odd places eventually. A very complete wash and a good rinse of the undercarriage on a regular schedule would serve you better I'd say. Of course, take care of chips and nicks in the surfact paint to prevent rust from the outside in.

Don't bother with rust proofing your CX-9

After 9 winters driving in Chi-town with copious amounts of salt on the roads (whether needed or not), my 2008 is not showing any signs of body rust.

FWIW, I am not a car wash fanatic and frequently mistreat the paint on this vehicle by letting it stay dirty and salty in the winter. Since I have recently spent a whole lot of time underneath the car on fluid changes and changing out the water pump, I can tell you that the undercarriage only has the normal rust to be expected on steel components.

Hey Andre,
I'm in Ontario, too, and have thought about this...I suggest you poke your head under your CX-9 and take a look at how accessible the undercarriage is for spraying a Krown coat (or similar). There are a series of panels and covers, made up of a sound deadening material...probably also helps with aerodynamics. Unless your installer (or you) are willing to carefully disassemble these covers, I'd guess you will not be getting a proper treatment.
I did vehicle spraying as a side job in college, and it's about turning the cars quickly. Taking the time to remove panels is not what they want. I'd guess the installers would get their skinny wand, jam it strategically under panels and give a squirt...knowing you will not disassemble things to inspect the job.

As for the doors and rockers...It's a toss up: The protectant can help in these areas, but they usually need to drill holes in your shiny new truck.

Believe it or not there is three holes on each door not being covered with anything. On the side their appears to be another hold that is plugged with something. I wonder if Mazda created it for us to spray oil on it? As for the bottom of the vehicle. I did take a look and it is covered mostly with lots of plastic panel. With all the comments here it is like a 50/50 of do it and don't bother lol.

Look into a product made by AMMO. You can coat the car yourself with just a microfiber towel these days.

This AMMO product appears to be for paint protection and not for rust protection. It seems like a wax and it is not cheap as well. Thanks for the info thought.

For what it's worth I believe that modern cars are properly treated at the factory via the 'dip' they get in the manufacturing process. Additional materials sprayed by most of the aftermarket shops just serve to trap moisture and ensure that you'll get rust in odd places eventually. A very complete wash and a good rinse of the undercarriage on a regular schedule would serve you better I'd say. Of course, take care of chips and nicks in the surfact paint to prevent rust from the outside in.

I do tent to keep it clean from time to time especially when it is white in colour. I find the front is already starting to show signs of stone chips and lots of dead flies or what not on the grill. The CX-9 kinda have a 90 degrees front grill so it is basically hitting whatever object that come at it on full impact.

The usual rust trouble areas from the past are totally covered with plastic body molding front to back on the CX-9. And much of the bottom of the car is covered in plastic panels. I wouldn't worry about rust.

The usual rust trouble areas from the past are totally covered with plastic body molding front to back on the CX-9. And much of the bottom of the car is covered in plastic panels. I wouldn't worry about rust.

I will not do any rust proofing on it then. I will keep an eye on the underside and wash it when I have time. Shouldn't have pick white as it gets dirty very very easy.

Back