2017 Sport Mode - Stuck in 1st gear

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Anyone else experiencing an issue where after engaging Sport Mode either at a stop or as you're slowing down, you're stuck in 1st gear when you accelerate? No, the gear shift is not in manual shift mode when this happens.

Never had that happen in my 16. But when you switch out of Sport mode, and drive normal, it does shift normally?

Sport mode holds the gears until like 4-5k rpm at minimum. Are you sure it won't shift on its own? If you're just cruising through town at like 20-25 mph using sport mode, it might not shift out of first gear.

Sport mode holds the gears until like 4-5k rpm at minimum. Are you sure it won't shift on its own? If you're just cruising through town at like 20-25 mph using sport mode, it might not shift out of first gear.

Actually that's a really good point. You really gotta get some speed going for it to shift.

I'm talking slow acceleration, and once I got up to 5500 rpm in 1st, I quickly shut off Sport Mode, and the car finally shifted into 2nd and then 3rd. I can see if I had floored the accelerator that it would have probably gone to red line before shifting into 2nd (I'll have to try it), but on other occasions where it's worked, I've slowly accelerated and the car shifted into 2nd as expected. I have to figure out the pattern/steps to see if I can force the no-shift to happen again.

It's not stuck. You just have to drive faster for it to shift to the next gear.

In normal mode under light throttle the gear shifts are dictated by speed
6 at 45
5:30
4:20

And so on. In sport- not tested this it could be similar behavior. But more aggressive. In a normal 45 mph road. Switch to sport and go up to limit. Should shift up

Sport will definitely hold the gear much longer than normal, especially when accelerating from a stop. It's meant to play with and always keep you in the power while engage, sacrificing some normal drive-ability / economy while doing so. As such the car is taking the revs high enough when accelerating so that when it downshifts it lands back in the power band to keep accelerating vs below 2,000rpm where your car cruises for fuel economy. This also means quicker shifts with the clutch pack while it's in the lock-up rev-range and that the torque converter remains locked up vs wasting power.

In normal mode the torque converter is used for smoother lower speed acceleration and cruising then the clutch pack locks up for efficiency when you're rolling along at speed.

Take it to a back road, you can take it right to redline in sport mode and it won't hurt a thing. It's worth testing it so you're familiar with what it does / doesn't do.

Anyone else experiencing an issue where after engaging Sport Mode either at a stop or as you're slowing down, you're stuck in 1st gear when you accelerate? No, the gear shift is not in manual shift mode when this happens.
Turns the cx5 into race car.
Meant for WOT screaming performance. Don't lift until redline! You has ferrari, now!

I am getting 21 mpg on normal driving mode as it is ...

I won't use "Sport" mode unless I am in the back country roads

Back