Transfer case concerns

JURBAN

:
mazca cx9 touring
Hello all,
New member here. I just purchased a used 2009 cx9 touring which I am very happy with so far. It has about 102k miles but now I am hearing all of the transfer case horror stories. Should I be concerned? It had a clean Carfax report and there is no hitch on it so I don't imagine it has seen any towing or hard use. Just spent good money on this car and don't need any expensive surprises. Have a few long trips planned soon and just a little concerned. Thanks.

I would be concerned. I have a 2010 grand touring that had 34k when I purchased it. I would call the dealer and make sure you are still covered under the extended Mazda warranty. There are posts on here on how to change the fluid in the transfer case. It isn't that hard. I did it before an 11 hour trip to South Carolina and had no problems. You may want to look at the water pump issue also. Not to worry you but it's good to be informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the extended warranty only went to 90k miles.

i would be worried. it won't leave you stranded but it is a definite weak point and as far as I can tell the new transfer case is not an updated version.

i towed once with ours, a dump trailer probably no more than 2k lbs. ours started to leak around 70k miles i think? so it was replaced under warranty.

we did buy ours used (30k miles) and it had the factory tow hitch but it was pristine and clearly not used much (if at all).

Immediately take it to a good Mazda shop (not dealer, few are willing to do it) and have them suck out the transfer case fluid. I would not drive the car unless it had fresh fluids.

Our 2010 CX9 Sport AWD got its transfer case and transmission replaced at 65K. Luckily all under the powertrain warranty. Not sure how moch longer we will keep it, tempted to get a 2017 CX5 GT FWD in near future.

Here in Ontario Canada, the Mr.Lube franchises will do it for about $90. They open the plug on the top,suck out the old, put in new.

Back