Splash Guards

dc1387

:
Mazda CX-9
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had splash guards installed on their CX-9? It did not come with mine when i bought the car and was wondering if i should have them installed. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had splash guards installed on their CX-9? It did not come with mine when i bought the car and was wondering if i should have them installed. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Yup...got mine installed actually prior to delivery and I negotiated with dealer at the time to give it to me at cost (which they did). In my area we get a lot of snow/slush/sand and salt during winter so I really wanted splash guards on my vehicles. From what I can remember these weren't expensive...only around $150 CAD installed (entire set front and back) vs. on my previous Volvo that cost $450!

Hi,

Thanks!

Define "should"? What makes you think you "should" have them v not? I had them on my '04 Pilot, and do not have them on my '12 CX-9. They really don't make much difference at all, IMO.

They help keep some of the road slop off the sides of the car. Not perfect.

I installed them myself on my wife's CX-9. Not too difficult to put on (only one skinned knuckle), no need to remove wheels. They do require cutting a couple of 1 inch squares out of the inner plastic wheel well (I used a pair of nippers).

When I should I meant is it necessary? I know they protect against sand, snow and salt. But how much protection do they actually offer? And if you don't install it does it do any major damage to certain areas in the long term?

When I should I meant is it necessary? I know they protect against sand, snow and salt. But how much protection do they actually offer? And if you don't install it does it do any major damage to certain areas in the long term?

Hardly any.

The guards might keep some winter road sand (more like pebbles here) from dinging the sides.

Hardly any.

I used to drive a Volvo XC60 that didn't come with mud/splash guards and since it has a lot of plastic cladding same as the new CX9 later on I installed splash guards in the Volvo due to the minor scratches the sand/salt/sleet/rocks/etc that was causing on the rear side bumpers and front side fenders/bottom doors. Long story short I installed them despite costing $450...since it was way cheaper on the CX9 and to offer some type of protection I had it installed as well.

All I can say is it depends on where you live and what type of driving you do (if cleaner area and purely city then no need but if you live in an area with lots of snow/sand/slush/sleet etc and do a bit of off roading then spending $150 for a set of splash guards would be worth it.

This decision and whether it is worth it is purely subjective.

I installed a set on mine. Bought them from a Mazda dealer online for $80 shipped. Took about an hour to install. That do a good job of deflecting some of the crap thrown up from the wheels.

They fit and look good and offer some protection for your rocker panel and rear valence.

Back