MP5 no start condition.

lilnate1191

:
2003 Mazda Proteg5, 2.0 DHOC (non-turbo) Auto w/ sport manual.
Hello, mods please direct me if my question has been answered, haven't found info i need yet after several searches.

Recently bought the car used, and she's in rough shape. Started with a jump and needed new alternator, easy.
The previous owner neglected to change thermostat and instead drilled a hole in the rad fill neck to relieve pressure. I removed thermostat and I've been keeping it filled with water until i can purchase new rad. But she makes a lot of steam and i believe that detail may be a factor.

Very suddently power started to drop until died on the highway, only giving me about 400-500 yards between running and dead. Opened her up and as expected low water but i never let gauge go above 3/4 before i stop and it was below 1/2 when it died, randomly spiked and dropped as the engine died. I also noticed i was low on oil when adding water this day. Tried to start and it cranks but won't fire, i assumed maybe an oil switch shut out the injectors.
Added oil and more water (again) and still same crank no start condition.
After some research i found that MAF, cam and/or crank sensors could cause this issue. Changed them 1 by 1 with parts sourced from a salvage yard so no gaurantee they're any good either. Again after each, crank so start.
Pulled plugs and as expected they've got some carbon build up on the metal, no corrosion though. Laid them all out across valve cover and they all spark, smell fuel coming from plug tubes while cranking too.
Just got car home today so i will be more free to test and repair, next steps i plan to change plugs check fuel pressure and shoot some starting fluid into throttle body.
I would also like to check all my sensors, coils, injectors, thottle body, etc etc. For proper functionality, but cannot find testing procedures to know what volts and ohms i need and where for the cam sensor, MAF, o2 or FPR.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123818102-PR5-cranks-but-won-t-start

This thread has a video which is exactly the sound and behavior of my P5, and i found info on fuel pressure, another link at the end that thread brings to another thread on the forum where i found some info on injectors, compression and crank sensor test. However his problem ended up being aftermarket computer tuning, and i couldn't find more info on other sensors ohm readings.
If i can compile all the needed info i would like to make a thread with a full step by step procedure with pics and videos.

Hello, mods please direct me if my question has been answered, haven't found info i need yet after several searches.

Recently bought the car used, and she's in rough shape. Started with a jump and needed new alternator, easy.
The previous owner neglected to change thermostat and instead drilled a hole in the rad fill neck to relieve pressure. I removed thermostat and I've been keeping it filled with water until i can purchase new rad. But she makes a lot of steam and i believe that detail may be a factor.

Very suddently power started to drop until died on the highway, only giving me about 400-500 yards between running and dead. Opened her up and as expected low water but i never let gauge go above 3/4 before i stop and it was below 1/2 when it died, randomly spiked and dropped as the engine died. I also noticed i was low on oil when adding water this day. Tried to start and it cranks but won't fire, i assumed maybe an oil switch shut out the injectors.
Added oil and more water (again) and still same crank no start condition.
After some research i found that MAF, cam and/or crank sensors could cause this issue. Changed them 1 by 1 with parts sourced from a salvage yard so no gaurantee they're any good either. Again after each, crank so start.
Pulled plugs and as expected they've got some carbon build up on the metal, no corrosion though. Laid them all out across valve cover and they all spark, smell fuel coming from plug tubes while cranking too.
Just got car home today so i will be more free to test and repair, next steps i plan to change plugs check fuel pressure and shoot some starting fluid into throttle body.
I would also like to check all my sensors, coils, injectors, thottle body, etc etc. For proper functionality, but cannot find testing procedures to know what volts and ohms i need and where for the cam sensor, MAF, o2 or FPR.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123818102-PR5-cranks-but-won-t-start

This thread has a video which is exactly the sound and behavior of my P5, and i found info on fuel pressure, another link at the end that thread brings to another thread on the forum where i found some info on injectors, compression and crank sensor test. However his problem ended up being aftermarket computer tuning, and i couldn't find more info on other sensors ohm readings.
If i can compile all the needed info i would like to make a thread with a full step by step procedure with pics and videos.

If your engine sounds like that, you have no compression on one or more cylinders.

Pulled off the valve cover just to take a look and make sure i didn't milk shake the engine and looking closer noticed the pistons in cyl 3&4 are both wet.
Will be doing fuel pressure and compression tests after work. Photos will be included.
Again any info on readings to test for on cam, maf, and o2 please. Tps also juat to cover all bases. Noticed FPR is mechanical.

Latest posts

Back