Small atf leak on top of transmission, 2012 mazda2

daddycooler3

:
Mazda, Mazda 2/Touring
Hello everyone :p

Just wondering if anyone could give some suggestions or share their opinions on atf leaking for 2012 mazda2 ~

Few days ago, I added ~1/8 quarter of OEM atf to my car due to the slight shift shock.

Before adding atf, the 2nd-3rd shift was very noticeable and 1st-2nd shift was a little smoother. And before adding the fluid, the level was right at the middle of the 65C range (car in working temp with engine running).

After adding the fluid, the shifts (both 1st-2nd, and 2nd-3rd) felt much better (or maybe it just in my mind...). However, the fluid level seems to be over the metal head of the dipstick, as the head of the dipstick was covered with atf (measured 1 day after adding the fluid, same condition).

Yesterday, I went on a trip of ~100 miles with heavy car (4 people in car) and lots up and down of hills, but all highway. And today I checked the atf level again, and found a puddle of pink fluid on top of my transmission(please see the attached pic and the red arrow in the diagram)...

I checked around, and found two likely source of leak: 1. Atf blown out from the dipstick hole, or 2. leaked through the 'return line' that connects the transmission and dipstick tube (part# 93-4405, on the diagram, the diagram may not be for mazda2, but that's the closest I found).

I'm just wondering if anyone has similar experience with atf leak on the top of the transmission? Should I just clean it and see if more fluid would leak out? or bring it to a mechanic and check in case of further major leak?

Also, just wondering what dose that 'return line' on the dipstick tube does? Since there is no clamp on the end of the rubber line (unlike any other line that has metal clamps on both ends), it doesn't seems to be able to hold much fluid pressure, so could it be a 'fluid release' line in case of atf overfill....?

Thanks for you time, and please share anything you would like to say :)

Attachments

• IMG_3161.JPG
    IMG_3161.JPG
    746.4 KB · Views: 281
  • FN01-21-550-w.jpg
    FN01-21-550-w.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 267
My gut tells me that you just overfilled it and some leaked out at the bottom of the dipstick tube.

The bigger thing is, how many miles are on the car, and has it ever had its transmission fluid flushed? If you're over 30-40k miles, get it changed out (a full flush, which takes about 9 quarts). Experience has taught me that Mazda's automatics tends to be hard on fluid and that regularly changing it will go a long way.

My gut tells me that you just overfilled it and some leaked out at the bottom of the dipstick tube.

The bigger thing is, how many miles are on the car, and has it ever had its transmission fluid flushed? If you're over 30-40k miles, get it changed out (a full flush, which takes about 9 quarts). Experience has taught me that Mazda's automatics tends to be hard on fluid and that regularly changing it will go a long way.

Hello DrWebster, thanks for the reply :) The baby has ~20k miles on her, the atf is still reddish. I'll do the drain and fill around 35K or before that and keep an eye on the color. I cleaned the leak and went for another ~100 miles trip (today) and found no leak yet ~ However, the fluid level is still above the head of the dipstick... I'll keep you updated if there is anything else unusual :)

Best,

Back