P5 Evaporator Replacement

:
Protege5
Last week my A/C was not blowing cold.. The compressor ran though.

I put a can of refrigerant in it and it worked better for a day or so. Today it was back to not working, and the compressor didn't even run.

There was a strong smell of A/C oil and refrigerant through the vents, fearing the worst, I looked at the service manual and was a little upset when I read that you had to remove the whole dash to get to the evaporator.

Today I pulled the glove box and tried to have a look at the evaporator to see if I could confirm the leak. I was very pleased when I removed two 10mm nuts on the evaporator housing, took the lines loose, and the housing practically fell on the floor board. :D

I don't know if there may have been a revision in the HVAC assembly at some point, but on an 02, you most definitely don't have to take the dash apart to remove the evaporator housing. Remove the glove box, the panel behind it, two 10mm nuts on the top and bottom of the housing, unplug one harness, undo the lines on the firewall, and it will come right out.

The very nasty and leaking evaporator:
zGaRDPq.jpg

I'm also pretty happy with the fact there are only a couple quick connects on the whole system, unlike Dodge and some others that use them on every single f!cking connection.

Last edited:
Last week my A/C was not blowing cold.. The compressor ran though.

I put a can of refrigerant in it and it worked better for a day or so. Today it was back to not working, and the compressor didn't even run.

There a strong smell of A/C oil and refrigerant through the vents, fearing the worst, I looked at the service manual and was a little upset when I read that you had to remove the whole dash to get to the evaporator.

Today I pulled the glove box and tried to have a look at the evaporator to see if I could confirm the leak. I was very pleased when I removed two 10mm nuts on the evaporator housing, took the lines loose, and the housing practically fell on the floor board. :D

I don't know if there may have been a revision in the HVAC assembly at some point, but on an 02, you most definitely don't have to take the dash apart to remove the evaporator housing. Remove the glove box, the panel behind it, two 10mm on the top and bottom of the housing, unplug one harness, undo lines on the firewall, and it will come right out.

The very nasty and leaking evaporator:
zGaRDPq.jpg

I'm also pretty happy with the fact there are only a couple quick connects on the whole system, unlike Dodge and some others that use them on every single f!cking connection.
Thanks man this is extremely good to know!!!!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Back