Tire Pressure: Bigger Tires

apple9117

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hi all, quick question. For those that got bigger tires for their 19's (245/50/19 as an example), are you still using 36 PSI for the tire pressure? Or have you increased? Thanks!

For a tire with more volume and bigger footprint you lower the pressure unless you have a special need like rock climbing or?

Gotcha, did not know that. So before I had the stock tires, 225/55/19, and now they are 245/50/19. The recommended PSI for stock tires were 36. Do you think lowering it to 35 would be fine?

Gotcha, did not know that. So before I had the stock tires, 225/55/19, and now they are 245/50/19. The recommended PSI for stock tires were 36. Do you think lowering it to 35 would be fine?
Reducing tire pressure for bigger tires is correct in general. But there're other factors you may need to consider such as the maximum inflation pressure and load index on your bigger tires comparing to OE Toyo A23's 51 psi and 99 as both will affect the tire footprint. In other words you have to try different tire pressures to find out which one is the best for your needs. I use 39 psi cold on OE 225/55R19 99V tires for better even-wear. I suggest you to start with 36 psi cold and monitoring the tire wear and the performance you prefer then gradually add or reduce the tire pressure as desired.

Reducing tire pressure for bigger tires is correct in general. But there're other factors you may need to consider such as the maximum inflation pressure and load index on your bigger tires comparing to OE Toyo A23's 51 psi and 99 as both will affect the tire footprint. In other words you have to try different tire pressures to find out which one is the best for your needs. I use 39 psi cold on OE 225/55R19 99V tires for better even-wear. I suggest you to start with 36 psi cold and monitoring the tire wear and the performance you prefer then gradually add or reduce the tire pressure as desired.

Wow great advice, appreciate it much. I'll do just that!

When the shop installed mine, it was 40 PSI. Most of the time, I'm lazy and I'm not checking on the tire pressure. Now, I have almost worn inner and outer edges, which means that I was running them, at a to low pressure. Even now, it is at 36. It is to low pressure, in my opinion.

Back