No Boost! Need help tracking down the issue(s)

Spooie

:
2003 MSP
I'm having issues trying to figure out if my turbo is bad. Sorry, but this is going to be long...

Background:
2003 MSP, it was pretty neglected when I purchased so it has been a process getting it back up to normalcy.
- just broke 90K miles.
- I noticed the car wasn't boosting right after purchase and honestly probably wasn't boosting at all when I bought it. The car had a lot of suspension problems from the crap roads here in Hawaii. I've been focusing on those issues to get it road worthy again. But now my attention is on the engine problems.
- added a boost gauge to check on things, noticed the car wasn't boosting at all.

Naturally with no boost showing and researching on here, I decided on replacing the wastegate since they are known to take a dump. So i ordered a new replacement wastegate from ATP. Even after the install (what a freaking PITA by the way), still no boost.
- I also replaced the exhaust manifold and the J-pipe gasket at the same time.

I have replaced a few vacuum lines, such as the wastegate & bypass valve. Still no boost.

I then decided I needed to pull off the hotside intercooler pipe to check for oil and noticed a crack down on the turbo side as well as the BPV flange.
- found a fellow member that sold me a nice aluminum replacement hotside pipe. Replaced that today and re-checked for leaks everywhere. It pulls a solid 20+hg in vacuum.

I'm stumped... there are no oil leaks or presence of oil in the intake or intercooler piping. The car does not produce any smoke out of the exhaust.

What do you guys think?

A few of my ideas:
1. Could a clogged cat converter prevent boost? I would think it could, but I also think it wouldn't prevent it completely. With only 90k miles, I wouldn't think the car would have a clogged cat already.
2. Has the MSP ever had issues with a boost solenoid? Do we even have those? Noob question, I know...
3. Does the BPV have any control over boost? Im still on the stocker and it probably needs to be replaced.
4. Can the internal flapper that is controlled by the wastegate arm (inside the exhaust side of the turbo), be stuck open/closed? I noticed it would catch a bit and I would have to finagle it to go back into position so I could attach the wastegate arm.
5. Would a cracked exhaust manifold be the issue? I didn't notice anything when I pulled it away from the head while installing the wastegate but then again I wasn't looking really looking for cracks either.

I appreciate your ideas and help in advance!

Awesome, that sounds like the issue. Thank you very much for the info! I will have to tear into that dang turbo and see whats up.

Do you just use a simple hammer and tap that piece back in? Yours has slipped out a few times? how often does it do that?

Awesome, that sounds like the issue. Thank you very much for the info! I will have to tear into that dang turbo and see whats up.

Do you just use a simple hammer and tap that piece back in? Yours has slipped out a few times? how often does it do that?

nope, a hammer isn't going to do anything other than waste your time. I've beat on my MSP so much that I've literally broke everything more than once other than the Motor... no idea how I haven't either. I generally just replace the exhaust housing with another. I don't recall how often it does that but has a few times already.

Back