An Interesting Opportunity to Compare

According to Consumer Reports' objective tests, the new CX-5 has better braking, handling, ride quality, and projected reliability than the new CR-V does. You said lets [sic] be real. You can't get much more real than that.

I am not surprised that you disagree, being that you just dropped a bunch of money on one. No surprise there lol But lets be real, compared to the 17 CRV(sorry to bring up the CRV but that is one of its closest competitors), the 17 CX5 is inferior in just about every way except styling interior and out. Objectively speaking, fuel economy, power, braking, cargo space, features, etc. The CX5 trails the CRV. You can't disagree with objective data. Doesn't mean those matter to you and also doesn't make the CRV better either. Cause I would still probably pick the CX5. But I think its important to acknowledge the weaknesses that still exist so the necessary improvements can hopefully be made.

According to Consumer Reports' objective tests, the new CX-5 has better braking, handling, ride quality, and projected reliability than the new CR-V does. You said lets [sic] be real. You can't get much more real than that.

I don't pay for consumer reports but from what I have read here on this site, that site is a joke. So anyway, I'll provide a link to factual, objective data for you. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/cr-v/2017/2017-honda-cr-v-vs-2017-mazda-cx-5-comparison-review/

I am a big fan of the CX5, but the 17 CRV brakes better, accelerates quicker, achieves better fuel economy, better quality ride, and a Honda will always have better resale than a Mazda.

The Mazda still out handles the CRV and makes the CRV look like a turd. Mazda made a lot of improvements over gen 1. Very exciting to see. But what I said in my initial post remains true with regards to them being behind the times. They did what they should of done with the 16 in the 17. Now once again, they trail behind in certain areas it actually once led in. I'm not worried. Mazda does some awesome things and I know they will improve once again. They have to. A small company needs to stay ahead of the times in order to attract potential customers. That's why I got my CX5. Ahead of the pack handling, AWD system, and damn good looks!

According to motor trend the CRV is not that much faster than the CX-5

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As for fuel economy, there is a difference between claimed and tested figures. It will be interesting to see how close the CRV will achieve its claimed fuel economy figures when it arrives in Australia. From all comparisons of the CX5 vs. its competitors here, the new CX5 have trumped all in fuel consumption figures. I won't be surprised when the CRV arrives here, in most real world tests, the turbo will use more fuel than the NA Mazda. Example is the new Tiguan turbo motor where its fuel consumption is way above its claimed use despite lower claims than CX5 resulting in much higher fuel use than the CX5.

According to motor trend the CRV is not that much faster than the CX-5

CRV is about what the gen 1 CX5 is. A second quicker than the 17 CX5. Now, these are CUV numbers we're talking about here so really it doesn't matter too much, but it still doesn't change the fact that the 17 is slower than gen 1. By much, no. But slower nonetheless. I think what's interesting is how much more spacious the CRV is, meanwhile still being lighter, faster, and achieves better fuel economy. My main thing is I just hope Mazda sees this and really improves the upcoming years. Give us that better fuel economy while optimizing power. You like to call it an evolution the 17 CX5, but to be evolutionary, it needs to deliver and improve on the basics. Not adding techy items to cover up the basics of a vehicle that got worse.

As for fuel economy, there is a difference between claimed and tested figures. It will be interesting to see how close the CRV will achieve its claimed fuel economy figures when it arrives in Australia. From all comparisons of the CX5 vs. its competitors here, the new CX5 have trumped all in fuel consumption figures. I won't be surprised when the CRV arrives here, in most real world tests, the turbo will use more fuel than the NA Mazda. Example is the new Tiguan turbo motor where its fuel consumption is way above its claimed use despite lower claims than CX5 resulting in much higher fuel use than the CX5.

MT posted their "real world data" and the CRV does in fact beat out the CX5. So, I think you're wrong and there is no need to wait anymore. It gets better gas mileage. We could argue how accurate their testing is but they still use the same standards for testing each vehicle. Which also to note, the 16 CX5 achieved an average 3mpg better than the 17 in overall mpg.

Last edited:
CRV is about what the gen 1 CX5 is. A second quicker than the 17 CX5. Now, these are CUV numbers we're talking about here so really it doesn't matter too much, but it still doesn't change the fact that the 17 is slower than gen 1. By much, no. But slower nonetheless. I think what's interesting is how much more spacious the CRV is, meanwhile still being lighter, faster, and achieves better fuel economy. My main thing is I just hope Mazda sees this and really improves the upcoming years. Give us that better fuel economy while optimizing power. You like to call it an evolution the 17 CX5, but to be evolutionary, it needs to deliver and improve on the basics. Not adding techy items to cover up the basics of a vehicle that got worse.

They have improved on the basics. Main gripes were NVH and cabin quality which they have now largely addressed on both counts. Over here they haven't added tech to cover the basics of a vehicle that got worse. Far from it. Most reviews here have said that the basics of the Gen 1 are still there but they have made it a far better package overall.

In relation to performance, yes it is slower than Gen 1 but they are not always going to make the next generation faster than the first. Sometimes yes but other times not. For what ever reason they didn't decide to drop the 2.5L Turbo into here. They believe that the current engine is fine and for most people it is. My guess is they didn't want to do that much this time around on account of the HCCI engines that are on the horizon. Pretty silly to spend $$$ on upgrading engines when a new range is just around the corner. Fuel economy here has only taken a slight hit this time around. Yes it would be nice to get better economy but in the real world, the CX-5 SkyActiv engine(s) actually get pretty close to the claimed figures more so than other manufacturers (read about this numerous times over the years in reviews). So far, the new CX-5 is getting close to it again.

CRV's may appeal to some but their reputation here in Oz land is of a bland vehicle that doesn't give that much excitement. If this new version changes this then all well and good but the CRV has to content with other far more popular SUV's such as the Tucson (which was the number 1 SUV in June) and the sales revitalised X-Trail let alone the 4 time reigning sales champion (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) CX-5.

At any rate, for those who like the CRV then great. For those who like the CX-5 then great.

Each to their own as always :)

Last edited:
With regards to the button on the door handle, anything beats having to fumble around in your pocket for the fob during a torrential downpour. Hence looking forward to having push button entry/exit with option of auto door lock.
Appanertly you've never used button-less door handle! This's the best scenario to have button-less auto-unlock door handle. You don't need to take your key fob out of your pocket, just pull the door handle and it'll unlock automatically and open the door. You don't need to make sure to use your left hand (in US) so that you can use your thumb to push the rubber button either!

There's a TSB for premature failure on CX-5's rubber button switch, so that's hope this mechenical rubber button switch can last as long as we own the CX-5.

Walk-away auto door lock is not unique to CX-5. I found one out of ten times on our CX-5 it doesn't lock the doors. As the function is not 100% reliable, we've to be either making sure to see or hear the lock has really happened, or pulling out the key fob and manually lock the doors making sure the doors have been locked.

Last edited:
Appanertly you've never used button-less door handle! This's the best scenario to have button-less auto-unlock door handle. You don't need to take your key fob out of your pocket, just pull the door handle and it'll unlock automatically and open the door. You don't need to make sure to use your left hand (in US) so that you can use your thumb to punch the rubber button either!

There's a TSB for premature failure on CX-5's rubber button switch, so that's hope this mechenical rubber button switch can last as long as we own the CX-5.

Walk-away auto door lock is not unique to CX-5. I found one out of ten times on our CX-5 it doesn't lock the doors. As the function is not 100% reliable, we've to either making sure to see or hear the lock has really happened, or we've to pull out the key fob and manually lock the doors making sure the doors have been locked.

No I haven't used them.

For me, I'll be pressing the button as I leave close the door.

Since Australian models have all doors with one-touch up/down windows, are they all lit I wonder?
Not all have auto up/down (CX-9 only has it on GT6 & Azami)

But upon thinking further, maybe it isn't tied in with this. I just thought it was

Hmmm (uhm)
If a power window switch has a light, that window has one-touch auto open/close feature.

If a power window switch has a light, that window has one-touch auto open/close feature.

Then the areas where the red arrows are pointing below are lit at night since we have auto up/down on all windows:

image.jpg

something i've never forgotten from my old business class: For a company to make a profit and pay it's bills & employees a good rule of thumb is to charge 3 times manufacturing costs. So by that rule it costs just over 10 grand for mazda to build a gt. With everything else in the car, i can forgive no lit switches and not having pull to open.
What you've said is correct, but you failed to mention Mazda doesn't need to do any manufacture changes as they have those one-touch open/close power windows at 4 corners available in other regions. It doesn't cost anything more other than material cost. Actually one would argue keeping too many different versions for a feature actually costs more! For some reason Mazda believes keeping different versions for a feature can save more money than keeping a thing simpler with one version! You've created different part numbers for different regions instead of a single line which increases complexity of manufacturing process and parts-supply management.

I've said this numerous times, it's the fault of the relevant country's Mazda boffins be it marketing or management

According to Motortrend's objective test, the new CRV has better braking, handling, ride quality, and is faster 0-60 winning the comparison, so who's right......

Omg Yrwie. You and the (tiniest little things) buttoned handle. My God man. No, best scenario is pull to open AND a button, like my Volvo. So I can lock the doors with it, or unlock all doors with it.
Also, my walk away lock works 10/10 times.
I am starting to wonder why you like this brand with all the things you don't like. 😁

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My 2013 Acura RDX has pull handle and button. Button for manual lock and the pull for the unlock. It is a VERY nice feature. I'm guessing that pushing the button would work if you have gloves.

Appanertly you've never used button-less door handle! This's the best scenario to have button-less auto-unlock door handle. You don't need to take your key fob out of your pocket, just pull the door handle and it'll unlock automatically and open the door. You don't need to make sure to use your left hand (in US) so that you can use your thumb to push the rubber button either!

Walk-away auto door lock is not unique to CX-5. I found one out of ten times on our CX-5 it doesn't lock the doors. As the function is not 100% reliable, we've to be either making sure to see or hear the lock has really happened, or pulling out the key fob and manually lock the doors making sure the doors have been locked.

Few things to add as 2/3 of our cars have the no button sensors..they can be a bit finicky (more so the Toyota than BMW) and while I guess I still prefer them to the physical button on the CX5, the walk away lock more than makes up for it. What other cars offer this? Also, who opens the left side door w/their right hand..surely someone though it just seems awkward, but still its an easy solution..underhand it. I'll concede that my walk away lock is not 10/10 either and is sometimes premature to my intentions but much more so than not its quite helpful and I still dig it.

I don't think there's a touch sensor, dimcorner. You just need the fob nearby.

Definitely touch (and you need the key nearby). You can just put a finger and touch back of handle and the car unlocks (if you have key). If key is not near by it just does nothing, not even beep.
The front button on the outside of handle locks the doors. I haven't tried to unlock with it.

In fact to unlock passenger side I have to just touch the inside of the handle to unlock. Passengers cannot unlock the door themselves from outside since they key is not on their side.
Also depending on the key that unlocks it the memory seat and outside mirrors will set to the key owner so my wife and I have different seat and mirror settings.

Actually what I find annoying is that I think the CX-5 won't let you turn the car on if the key is in the trunk. Sometimes I just toss my bag with the keys in the back of the RDX and can drive off without having to dig the key out of it.

Last edited:

Yes, our Odyssey has it. It works but sometimes takes a second or two to be recognized. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference at all between the two systems.

I also liked the Honda remote that allows for very easy remote start and a method to drop all the windows at once. Very nice for those hot days to start cooling car off. But again, all choices that come at a price.

You can nit-pick lots of things on lots of cars. The 2017 CX-5 feels substantially better than my 2014 GT.

When driving, the new CX-5 does not feel much different than the new CR-V. The two things you will notice is that the CR-V feels much bigger and drives accordingly. The CX-5 feels small and sporty, almost like a GTI (and no, I am not saying it handles like a GTI!).

Back