An Interesting Opportunity to Compare

I didn't agree to the door handle (couldn't careless about those),I'm agreeing that this car lacks attention to detail, and is put together rather cheaply, even for a $30k car. So now, I should buy a Audi or BMW, lol, sorry, I'd rather have a Mazda than those highly overpriced POS's. So, I should've bought a CRV? Lmao, no thanks, however, it is a better overall car though, so is the entire Honda brand as a whole.

All in all, I'm happy with my CX-5, it just has a lot of smh things I keep catching the more I look. They half-assed a lot of stuff on this car,even at this price point. At least most of it is hidden under plastic,I guess...

Sigh. I can't believe I just went and sat in my backseat because of Yrwies post. There's nothing wrong there, dude. Those pieces don't need to seamlessly meet. You're being hypercritical.
And what else is cutting corners? Oh...the sunroof button doesn't light. Is that really penny punching? Or cutting out some bulls*** you don't need and won't need to repair because the bulb burns out? Smart. Attnetion to detail, IMO. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nit picky good lord. Dollar for dollar this car is hard to beat in 16 or 17. No vehicle is going to have everything you want the way you like it. We all obviously looked at the price and the vehicle and said Yep seems like a good deal to me I'll take it. All of us could have bought something else but I doubt you'd get something as nice for same money.

The missing swoosh sucks to me and I don't care for the chicken wire grill but the inside is super nice imo at this level vehicle.

I'm just here to talk s*** with you guys...

I keep my mouth shut at home because my girl absolutely loves this CX-5,and that's all that really matters to me when it's all said and done...

I'm not really nit picking and I'm not really sure what folks are talking about with the lack of attention to details, I love everything about this car from fit and finish to the look to the drive. Sure I wish it has more power, wish it has better mpg. But the other cars don't look as great as this one :D I didn't even bother looking at the competitors and went straight to the CX-5, I've never been a fan of CUVs like the rav4 or crv until I saw the cx-5. I like to be different, I like the fact that I don't see a CX-5 on the road at every street corner (though I do wish mazda sales go up tho :D). This car has everything I wanted in a car and I love driving it every day :D

If I want to nit pick, I would mention how the window switches don't all light up, not all windows have auto up/down, etc. The button on the door handle isn't really a lack of attention to detail, I just like how some car has the sensor on the handle which makes it pretty easy to just open the door when in a hurry or in the dark. Heck, I hardly even use the button on the handle, I use my fob to unlock the door anyways. Walk away locking, that's attention to detail that I see honda has followed now.

PS, that post about the door pillar, yeah that one cracks me up lol

I'm with you PVQ. My CX5 is outstanding, fun to drive vehicle that rivals vehicles I've owned that cost almost twice as much. Ed

Seconded. I'm thinking some of you should have bought a CRV or something more expensive.

A CRV? No way. It looks wrong in my eyes and Honda's reputation here is not that good as it used to be in say the 1990's when they actually made cars that were good to drive and looked decent!

With regards to the button on the door handle, anything beats having to fumble around in your pocket for the fob during a torrential downpour. Hence looking forward to having push button entry/exit with option of auto door lock.

You could nitpick on any brand's model. You can't have every tech and feature on a 30k car. One could even nitpick on some ergonomics or features of a Bentley Continental if one chooses to do so.

Attention to detail in the new CX-5 came foremost from a driver-centric point of view. ie. driver seat position, pedal placement, ambience with soft touch plastic and premium materials though out the cabin, tactile switches etc. which other competitors lack.

There will always be some variations of features between different makes. Can't say its from lack of attention to detail from Mazda in still retaining push button door handle locks. It's just what they have currently. You could argue a car not having puddle lights or welcome illumination as lacking attention to detail. How far do we want to go? Everything comes at a price point.

Something I've never forgotten from my old business class: for A company to make a profit and pay it's bills & employees a good rule of thumb is to charge 3 times manufacturing costs. So by that rule it costs just over 10 grand for Mazda to build a GT. With everything else in the car, I can forgive no lit switches and not having pull to open.

Something I've never forgotten from my old business class: for A company to make a profit and pay it's bills & employees a good rule of thumb is to charge 3 times manufacturing costs. So by that rule it costs just over 10 grand for Mazda to build a GT. With everything else in the car, I can forgive no lit switches and not having pull to open.

Lit window switches = auto up/down for all windows. Since you guys have only drivers up/down hence only that is lit. This is for those who didn't know not directed at you 7eregrine :D

But I get your point re costs/profit etc.

I think having just the one lit is like a reference point. If you can find that one, you know where the rest are. Don't think it's because of auto down, though I'm just guessing here.

Lit window switches = auto up/down for all windows. Since you guys have only drivers up/down hence only that is lit. This is for those who didn't know not directed at you 7eregrine :D

But I get your point re costs/profit etc.

Since Australian models have all doors with one-touch up/down windows, are they all lit I wonder?

Since Australian models have all doors with one-touch up/down windows, are they all lit I wonder?

Not all have auto up/down (CX-9 only has it on GT & Azami)

But upon thinking further, maybe it isn't tied in with this. I just thought it was

Hmmm (uhm)

A few things. First off, Studum: Really? You couldn't open the screen door to take a proper pic? That's a fail. :D

I was waiting for that (rofl), but for the record it was out the window so the screen is always there. Didn't really care to take any other photos of my base rental LOL.

I'll get excited when the can deliver better fuel economy and better power. As of now, the 17 just falls behind the competition in many ways. Mazda needs to make better strides. Gen 1 was ahead of the curve for its time and the competition. Gen 2 falls behind the curve relative to its time and competition. Mazda is doing the right things, but they still have work to do. I suspect in the next couple years Mazda will get back in the action.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I will happily disagree (drinks)

Nit picky good lord. Dollar for dollar this car is hard to beat in 16 or 17. No vehicle is going to have everything you want the way you like it. We all obviously looked at the price and the vehicle and said Yep seems like a good deal to me I'll take it. All of us could have bought something else but I doubt you'd get something as nice for same money.

The missing swoosh sucks to me and I don't care for the chicken wire grill but the inside is super nice imo at this level vehicle.

Boom: Drop the Mic. No car is ever perfect for everyone (or there'd be no competition!) but the CX-5 still has some serious driver-oriented value. It just has a little more mainstream appeal now with the refined ride and cabin. I for one hope it proves to be a success for Mazda.

You could nitpick on any brand's model. You can't have every tech and feature on a 30k car. One could even nitpick on some ergonomics or features of a Bentley Continental if one chooses to do so.

Attention to detail in the new CX-5 came foremost from a driver-centric point of view. ie. driver seat position, pedal placement, ambience with soft touch plastic and premium materials though out the cabin, tactile switches etc. which other competitors lack.

There will always be some variations of features between different makes. Can't say its from lack of attention to detail from Mazda in still retaining push button door handle locks. It's just what they have currently. You could argue a car not having puddle lights or welcome illumination as lacking attention to detail. How far do we want to go? Everything comes at a price point.

Lots of good posts in here. Completely agree here as well - and that's the underlain intent behind my attention to detail statement. How they've taken so many little things and tweaked them so well that you don't even notice them unless you have the chance to flip back and forth between something else.

(General statement) For the record our previous vehicle was in the same price range. It had all the bells and whistles which wowed us into buying. I mean all of them (including all auto-down windows, all lit power window buttons, cooled driver's seat, etc, etc) but once the honeymoon period was over the only thing we could think about was how it drove like a sloppy turd.

After 3.5 years of ownership we traded up for the CX-5 and absolutely have not looked back since. Did we miss some of those niceties? Sure... for about the first 60 seconds, until we were jumping for joy at how much better the CX-5 is to be in on the road. The point is that for being at the same price point with all that car had in tech and content it clearly lacked in overall mechanical engineering. It lacked the fundamentals that made a car "good". With our trade-up to the CX-5 we have happily traded some of those frivolous niceties for a much better overall driving (and ownership) experience and don't regret it one bit.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I will happily disagree (drinks)

I am not surprised that you disagree, being that you just dropped a bunch of money on one. No surprise there lol But lets be real, compared to the 17 CRV(sorry to bring up the CRV but that is one of its closest competitors), the 17 CX5 is inferior in just about every way except styling interior and out. Objectively speaking, fuel economy, power, braking, cargo space, features, etc. The CX5 trails the CRV. You can't disagree with objective data. Doesn't mean those matter to you and also doesn't make the CRV better either. Cause I would still probably pick the CX5. But I think its important to acknowledge the weaknesses that still exist so the necessary improvements can hopefully be made.

I missed jhu8's post saying the CX-5 falls behind the competition, and that's fine. Entitled to his opinion. But nearly every car review site says the CX-5, CR-V and Escape are the top 3. So there's that.

From what I have read here, the reviews say it's actually keeping ahead of the competition.

Back