An Interesting Opportunity to Compare

:
'18 Mazda 6 Signature
Took my DD Mazda 3 in for it's 24k service and it needs a replacement caliper. Due to the part being on backorder the dealer put me into a rental. Thankfully that rental is a 16 CX-5 and as a result I have the opportunity to compare it to my typical daily a '17 Mazda3 as well as our '17 CX-5.

My driveway has looked like this for the past week, and likely will continue to look like for for likely another week or two.

1qhf6v.jpg

I have 1,000 kms on the '16 already. Not sure the exact trim level but I think it is GX w/convenience (Canada).

So far the differences between the two models aren't earth shattering for me (as someone who likes feeling the road and a stiffer ride) but they are a bigger deal for my wife. The '17 is noticeably quieter, that said I think the '16 is still quieter than my 3, though that still isn't an issue for me.

- The 16 rides like a higher, heavier 3. It's very playful and tossable in the twisties - My Mazda3 still comes out on top in this regard but the CX-5 is impressive for what it is.
- The 17 has been softened a bit. A little lighter steering and more compliant ride. A more pleasant daily drive for sure and still willing to play in the turns but not as sharp and jarring.
Power level obviously feels the same, but the improved responsiveness in the '17 is evident to me. The 17 works nearly instantly after a throttle input, where the 16 (and my 3) seem to have to wait for a fraction of a second to be sure of what's going on. Again not an earth shattering difference, but I do prefer the new one in this regard.
- The infotainment is the exact same. Base (non-bose) stereo in our touring sounds slightly better in the mid-high range but I feel like the 16 has a bit more punch in the lower end.
- Headlight output is definitely different. The halogen projectors in the 16 just aren't in the same league as the LED on either our '17 or my 3.
- Power lift gate on the '17 doesn't matter much to me, but it's a game changer for my wife.
- I do find the seats on the '17 more comfortable. Maybe it's because I haven't been in the 16 long enough to find my "sweet spot". I'm comfortable enough in the 16, just more comfortable in the 17 and my 3. This could be related to there not being a lumbar adjustment in the 16 I have.
- Nothing inherently wrong with the '16's steering wheel. I just prefer the thicker grip of the '17 and my 3. Though I do like how the thumb grip transition at 9 and 3 on the 16 wheel is a bit smoother.
- It's such a trivial thing that has been advertised, but it's amazing how nice the grip on the new door handles are. That revised shape really is a wonderful improvement that you don't appreciate until you feel them back to back. Does it really matter? No, but its a tangible indication of the attention to detail that Mazda's put into the new model.

That's it for now with my major impressions.

If you've got any more specific questions I'll do my best to answer. Sucks that my car is stuck in the shop but it's been pretty neat to compare new vs old in the longer term.

Attention to detail?

IMO, that's what this car lacks the most...
No matter how nice the new door handle grip is on 2017 Mazda CX-5, the fact of matter is the rubber button is still there and we need to push it to unlock the door; whereas competitors such as Honda CR-V has sensor on door handle so that you pull the handle, it unlocks the door automatically without pushing any button. That's the thing you call paying attention to detail!

No matter how nice the new door handle grip is on 2017 Mazda CX-5, the fact of matter is the rubber button is still there and we need to push it to unlock the door; whereas competitors such as Honda CR-V has sensor on door handle so that you pull the handle, it unlocks the door automatically without pushing any button. That's the thing you call paying attention to detail!
Yep!

And we all know there's way more than that. This car has zero attention to detail imo. Cutting corners seems to be the name of the game 'round chere...

Yup that's one thing I wish Mazda would incorporate into their keyless system. I feel it's more convenient to just put hand on handle and door unlocks, instead of having to push the button. I mentioned this on another mazda3 forum before and some people say the button is better for when you're wearing gloves in the winter. Regardless, I would prefer the buttonless way :D Other than that, love the new cx-5. Interesting note about the door handle, I noticed it felt beefier or something compared to my 2014 mazda 3. I didn't think much of it until this was brought up haha Nice comparison OP :)

Each time I see this B-pillar seatbelt trim cover, it reminds me Mazda doesn't pay attention to detail. This piece of trim cover seems not belonging to here with totally unmatched lines and curves to front door panel. I was amazed to see that the 2017 CX-5 inherited the same B-pillar trim cover which is still totally unmatched to the front door panel! This picture doesn't do the justice about how bad the trim cover is as it isn't a 3-D. Just sitting in the back seat looking at the trim cover and door panel by yourself!

attachment.php

Mazda CX-5 B-Pillar Trim and Door Panel.jpg

I had the door handle unlock sensor on my 2011 335i, so not sure why they can't include it here? Isn't this a 'premium' car that supposed to be competing with Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus? At least that's what Dave Coleman told us.

Just don't lock the door to begin with and the problem is solved. I know i have locked the doors just don't remember when the last time was.

Just don't lock the door to begin with and the problem is solved. I know i have locked the doors just don't remember when the last time was.

Auto lock should do the work anyway after you are away from the vehicle I believe

Not on mine. I didn't want all that do hickey crap. I know how to look to change lanes, lock, unlock doors, etc...
Fair enough. Each to their own.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pushing a button on the fn door handle that you need to grab anyway is an issue that highlights Mazdas inattention to detail..seriously? Ok so what are the walk away lock feature swiveling hid headlights and adjustable blinker volume settings? Awful lot a whining at this price point, awful....lot.

But I agree with pretty much all of the commentary from op..

Last edited:
In recent times Mazda have indeed provided quite a bit of kit for the price point

This is the first Mazda I've ever owned, though in my 33 years of driving I've had more than my share of cars...nearly all new. I never had a "premium" car (i.e. Mercedes, BMW) so I cannot compare to those either, but frankly my 2017 CX-5 is, without question, among the best fit and finished car, and among the most "bang for your buck" that I've ever gotten. I'm stunned at the criticisms I hear on this board....things that I never would have noticed, or even considered. Ignorance is (or was) bliss. For my part I remain VERY happy with my CX-5 and as long as it continues to be reliable and fun to drive...what more can you ask for at this price point? How much more would you need to spend to get an identically equipped Audi or BMW ? I think those that are so critical really need to take a step back and consider that.....Just my very humble opinion, respectfully sumitted for consideration.

On the other cars mentioned that have the buttonless entry, how does the driver tell the car it wants to unlock all 4 doors or just unlock the driver door?

@Xelerating, @Monterra, @PVQ - your thoughts echo mine.

Bang for the buck and attention to detail, to me, reaches beyond this car's price point.

@The others immediately picking away at it: if a button on the door handle and the shape of a B pillar trim mostly tucked away behind the chair you're sitting is what you decide to get yourselves all worked up over - then have at it. Neither bothers me one bit.

The intent of this thread was not to pick away at the cars, nor was it to start compare it the competition. It was to highlight my experiences between actually living with new vs the old (and my Mazda3) vs simply test driving them.

Overall, as I and others have mentioned in other threads, the bottom line is that the Gen 2 is an evolutionary improvement over the Gen 1 and that IMO is NOT a bad thing. Not a bad thing at all.

The Gen 1 is a joy to drive and I wouldn't mind owning one, one bit. That said the more compliant suspension and quieter ride on the Gen 2 are what absolutely made the difference for my wife when purchasing - and since it was to be her car that was her choice. That and the interior design, love it or hate it, are the most tangible differences in the driving experience.

Would I recommend current Gen 1 owners rush out to the dealer to upgrade if they're happy with their car? Not unless they really want that new styling. However if you're new to the market and are faced with the choice between a Gen 2 and a Gen 1 that's left on the lot with a great incentive your choice is a bit harder. I think it will come down to how much you like the ride and handling in the Gen 1. If you like it - take advantage of the deal. If you find it too stiff, which I believe was the biggest complaint about the Gen 1, the Gen 2 is a nice improvement.

Went for a drive in the wife'y car last night. The more compliant ride doesn't take away from it's tossibility all that much when you're already behind the wheel. The bigger difference is the slightly lighter weight steering in the Gen 2.

I'll get excited when the can deliver better fuel economy and better power. As of now, the 17 just falls behind the competition in many ways. Mazda needs to make better strides. Gen 1 was ahead of the curve for its time and the competition. Gen 2 falls behind the curve relative to its time and competition. Mazda is doing the right things, but they still have work to do. I suspect in the next couple years Mazda will get back in the action.

A few things. First off, Studum: Really? You couldn't open the screen door to take a proper pic? That's a fail. :D
You made up for it in your second post:

giphy.gif

@Xelerating, @Monterra, @PVQ - your thoughts echo mine.
Seconded. I'm thinking some of you should have bought a CRV or something more expensive.
Of course, Mango shows up to bash. How does he find every thread with even the most minuscule nitpick, but fails to see the post where we are full on teasing him? The Amazing Mango. It's like he has 'negative comment radar'.

No matter how nice the new door handle grip is on 2017 Mazda CX-5, the fact of matter is the rubber button is still there and we need to push it to unlock the door; whereas competitors such as Honda CR-V has sensor on door handle so that you pull the handle, it unlocks the door automatically without pushing any button.

Seriously? This must be a joke? And Nelson agreed? and Lowin agreed, too? This is nitpicky to the nth degree. Yes, lowin, the button...is on the handle...of the handle you need to open the car. I have this pull to open on my Volvo AND a button (is that 2X the attention to detail?!? :D) ... it's really not all that much extra work for my thumb to find a button on the Mazda.
Plenty of cars in this class DON'T have 'pull to open'. So, if you don't have auto-lock enabled, how do you lock your car? Well, on my Mazda (and my Volvo) I just push the button on the handle.

You guys are too much....

mazdadude said:
On the other cars mentioned that have the buttonless entry, how does the driver tell the car it wants to unlock all 4 doors or just unlock the driver door?

It doesn't. You would have to open your door and then unlock the others. or use the fob.

Last edited:
A few things. First off, Studum: Really? You couldn't open the screen door to take a proper pic? That's a fail. :D
You made up for it in your second post:

giphy.gif

Seconded. I'm thinking some of you should have bought a CRV or something more expensive.
Of course, Mango shows up to bash. How does he find every thread with even the most minuscule nitpick, but fails to see the post where we are full on teasing him? The Amazing Mango. It's like he has 'negative comment radar'.

Seriously? This must be a joke? And Nelson agreed? and Lowin agreed, too? This is nitpicky to the nth degree. Yes, lowin, the button...is on the handle...of the handle you need to open the car. I have this pull to open on my Volvo AND a button (is that 2X the attention to detail?!? :D) ... it's really not all that much extra work for my thumb to find a button on the Mazda.
Plenty of cars in this class DON'T have 'pull to open'. So, if you don't have auto-lock enabled, how do you lock your car? Well, on my Mazda (and my Volvo) I just push the button on the handle.

You guys are too much....

It doesn't. You would have to open your door and then unlock the others. or use the fob.
(drinks)

+1
Thank you! You just saved me a ton of typing...

Back