Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 P5 A/C Compressor noise looking for an easy fix!

Registered Member

'02 Mazda Protege5

2002 P5 A/C Compressor noise looking for an easy fix!

My AC system works , blows ice cold air but the compressor makes a freakin' racket. I can hear a fast knocking sound coming from it. It's mostly when its turned on but sometimes I can hear the same noise faintly when it's off. sometimes the belt squeals as well like when i first start it up and drive off. The clutch disengages when I turn off the AC but it seems to "Drag" a bit you can see it spinning slowly with the pully.

I saw on another Mazda site, for Mazda 3/6 I believe, that there was a cheap fix for this as it may not require the compressor to be replaced, they just took the center clutch plate and pully out and replaced the bearing inside the pulley/clutch assembly, without even having to evacuate the refrigerant. IS this possible on the Protege5?

83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i

Quote Originally Posted by wrathofpaul View Post
    My AC system works , blows ice cold air but the compressor makes a freakin' racket. I can hear a fast knocking sound coming from it. It's mostly when its turned on but sometimes I can hear the same noise faintly when it's off. sometimes the belt squeals as well like when i first start it up and drive off. The clutch disengages when I turn off the AC but it seems to "Drag" a bit you can see it spinning slowly with the pully.

I saw on another Mazda site, for Mazda 3/6 I believe, that there was a cheap fix for this as it may not require the compressor to be replaced, they just took the center clutch plate and pully out and replaced the bearing inside the pulley/clutch assembly, without even having to evacuate the refrigerant. IS this possible on the Protege5?
    Imho for the time it takes to do so I'd just replace the whole compressor. I have the same issue but as long as the ac still blows cold I'm not changing anything!

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Corphish View Post
    Imho for the time it takes to do so I'd just replace the whole compressor....
    You're supposed to evacuate then recharge the system to replace the compressor... And you're supposed to evacuate at a shop. A new compressor goes for $300- $450 CDN as well.

There's a huge advantage to just replacing the bearing.

I've never heard of anyone doing it on the P5 but it may be possible ???

They do rebuild them so they must come apart somehow..

I say go ahead and try to take it apart... You'll run the risk of breaking something then you'll Have to replace it, but you should be able to take the old bearing to a bearing place and match something up and it should be numbered.

I'm assuming that your clutch might be damaged from a sloppy bearing and compressor parts don't seem to be available.
    Maybe something off a junker...
    The Diagram Dude

2002 P5 A/C Compressor noise looking for an easy fix!

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    You're supposed to evacuate then recharge the system to replace the compressor... And you're supposed to evacuate at a shop. A new compressor goes for $300- $450 CDN as well.
    Idk about you but if I asked a shop to evac my ac lines they would do so for free. I also know that ac tends to be more expensive that rolling the windows down so spending 300-450 would be about right. Rock auto has one for $230 or you can just find one from a junk yard.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ompressor,6628

Overall I would much rather spend the money on my ac then shred some belts due to a "drag" on the pulley and potentially strand myself.

2002 mazda protege 5

I didn't think a shop would evacuate the AC for free.

But I still think he should try to replace the bearing.. It could be a ten dollar fix.

If something goes wrong he could just leave the belt off till he gets a replacement compressor.... He'll loose power steering and AC but the car will be driveable.

If he shreds the belt, he may very well take out the other one at the same time, then he is pretty much stranded.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Protege5

You can take them apart, but it takes a special tool set to do so.

Even then, you can't do it on the car, it still requires evacuation of the system.

It's not the bearing anyway, these compressors just rattle, my P5 has been doing it for two years, my Ranger just started doing it too. And my brother's Miata does it. Run it until it quits, if it ever does.
    2002 Protege5 5 Speed, Pure White, FSZE Swap, Konig Incident 17's
    1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 5 speed
    1987 Mazda RX7, SBC swap in progress
    1998 Honda CBR900RR
    2013 Honda CB500F

Quote Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post

Even then, you can't do it on the car, it still requires evacuation of the system.

It's not the bearing anyway, these compressors just rattle, my P5 has been doing it for two years, my Ranger just started doing it too. And my brother's Miata does it. Run it until it quits, if it ever does.
    ^^

2002 mazda protege 5

^^^ Good Answer !!!
    You'd swear MrGiggles knows a few things about cars !!!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

'02 Mazda Protege5

Update: Problem solved! I was able to remove the clutch plate and pulley with bearing from the compressor without having to drain the freon. I replaced it with a new bearing/pulley/clutch from a rebuilt unit. noise is gone. A/c runs great now.

2002 mazda protege 5

Awesome !!!

Any special tools required ???

Registered Member

'02 Mazda Protege5

Just a socket wrench and a pair of snap ring pliers. literally all I needed. undo the belt, unscrew the little bolt in the middle of the pulley, pull out the clutch plate (without losing any washers), take the snap ring out which holds the pulley on, slide it off and replace with new part. voila. saved over $500.

Just a socket wrench and a pair of snap ring pliers. literally all I needed. undo the belt, unscrew the little bolt in the middle of the pulley, pull out the clutch plate (without losing any washers), take the snap ring out which holds the pulley on, slide it off and replace with new part. voila. saved over $500.
    Great now do a write up with pictures!

(-_-) ...zZzzZzZZ

ive always had that rattling noise when the a/c engages. i've never thought anything about it. pics would be great! and part number for new part
    03 MSP, 03 P5

2002 mazda protege 5

So you did a great job of not removing your dash to fix your AC, proving the FSM wrong, but I'm kinda disappointed with your advice on the AC compressor...

I think in an effort to redeem yourself, you should fix yours and your brothers clattering AC pump Without draining any freon... And post some pics so we can all do it...

PS... I have the SST required (snap ring pliers)
    Last edited by pcb; 08-03-2017 at 03:12 AM.

2002 mazda protege 5

..I replaced it with a new bearing/pulley/clutch from a rebuilt unit.
    How much was your rebuilt unit ??
    Aren't they expensive ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast