Mazda Emblem in Machine Grey?

:
2017 MAZDA CX-5 GT
2017 CX-5 in Machine Grey over here. Not a fan of chrome or plastidip, so I'd like my rear mazda emblem to match my paint. Any ideas or suggestions?

2017 CX-5 in Machine Grey over here. Not a fan of chrome or plastidip, so I'd like my rear mazda emblem to match my paint. Any ideas or suggestions?

Your Mazda dealer can take it of and color it in your car color. Or you do it yourself-take it of bring it to a color shop-that they can color it-then put it back on your car with car glue.

Cheers 101

Last edited:
Have you thought about smoking it? Give it a black chrome look? I think it'll look great on machine grey. I did smoked mine when I had the mazda3, might do it on the cx-5 when I have time. I love the black chrome look, still gives it a stock look without looking too aftermarket.

35906639822_c3517aacc0_b.jpg

35267756283_1ce228589c_b.jpg

I used tamiya polycarbonate spray paint, the ones for rc cars. I got the smoked ones and put 2-3 light to medium coats waiting a few minutes between coats. They dry pretty fast. Then used a few coats of clear coats over it. After few tries, I found that applying clear coat to it before it's completely dried gives it a more natural black chrome look. If I wait for the paint to fully dry it's less reflective and doesn't look like chrome anymore. I want to do the black chrome to the front grill and window trims but will need a few bottles since since they come in small bottles.

Not a fan of the riced out plastidip junk, but I really like the smoked look, and it does look factory and well done.

Here is mine water transfer/contact coloring carbon look
cd22b998f126a647f3d746d327be2ab1.jpg

In the sun looks like carbon hologram

Cheers 101

Have you thought about smoking it? Give it a black chrome look? I think it'll look great on machine grey. I did smoked mine when I had the mazda3, might do it on the cx-5 when I have time. I love the black chrome look, still gives it a stock look without looking too aftermarket.

35906639822_c3517aacc0_b.jpg

35267756283_1ce228589c_b.jpg

I like it.
Question though - how did you remove the Mazda emblem, and how did you put it back? Did you use just the double adhesive.

I like it.
Question though - how did you remove the Mazda emblem, and how did you put it back? Did you use just the double adhesive.

Yeah it's just held on by double sided tape. I parked the car under the hot sun then just used a credit card and slid it under, took about 30 seconds to get the mazda3 emblem out, took longer for the M tho. Then just had to clean the left over adhesive that's on the car. After I finished, I just used 3m double sided tape, cut to size then stuck it back on.

I used tamiya polycarbonate spray paint, the ones for rc cars. I got the smoked ones and put 2-3 light to medium coats waiting a few minutes between coats. They dry pretty fast. Then used a few coats of clear coats over it. After few tries, I found that applying clear coat to it before it's completely dried gives it a more natural black chrome look. If I wait for the paint to fully dry it's less reflective and doesn't look like chrome anymore. I want to do the black chrome to the front grill and window trims but will need a few bottles since since they come in small bottles.
Hi lowincash,I am planing to paint it on my CX-5. I would like to know what spray paint brand for clear coat, It is tamiya PS 58 or another one?

Hi lowincash,I am planing to paint it on my CX-5. I would like to know what spray paint brand for clear coat, It is tamiya PS 58 or another one?

This is the paint I used for the emblem...

49185664041_370270b02c_o.jpg

I used some rust-oleum clear coat I got from auto zone, I think any clear coat works. After spraying the tamiya paint, I only waited about 2-3 minutes before I sprayed on the clear coat. After a layer of clear coat then I waited 10-15 minutes before putting 2nd and 3rd layer. Just gotta gauge how much to use so it won't start dripping. It's trial and error, took me 2-3 tries to get them right.

Back