Struggling w Premium decision

Bingo! HUD is a huge safety feature for sure. When I look down at a speedometer now, I'm alarmed at how long I'm taking my focus away from the road. Lots of things can happen in that split second. I'll never have a vehicle without HUD from now on.
Never own another HUDless car. Seems like all the 17 owners feel that way. If I was buying today, the CX-5 with HUD would be my only choice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can adjust the hud up and down in settings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You can also adjust the tilt angle, side to side, in case you normally drive leaning to the middle or the outside, so everything will stay level.

OP here. Thanks everyone for your valuable insight. I really struggled with this decision but have opted to go without Premium. I pick up my new car tonight and am pretty amped about it. Coming out of a Subie XV Crosstrek - the difference in quality is fairly stunning.

I'm getting my CX-5 GT in AWD snowflake white/parchment. Paying $28,500 before TT. I qualified for $500 family military and $1000 end of month factory cash. MSRP was $31,835. I'm pleased with deal.

Thanks again!

The HUD display was originally developed for fighter pilots. Now its been adapted for car drivers. HUD could have a better implementation than it does on the CX-5. For example, the speed is projected onto a fixed position on your windshield. It would be better if you could adjust the position up/down/left/right where you want it but you cant.

Except you can modify the "fixed position" on the windshield as others have mentioned. I've moved mine up significantly.

I sat in a Premium in FL recently and the “tilt” was perfect, i.e. the display was perfectly horizontal. I drove a Platinum (Ire equivalent of Premium) and the display was noticeably tilted … even at the maximum adjustment in the settings. Wondering if this is just a 1-off or if anyone else has experienced this?

I sat in a Premium in FL recently and the “tilt” was perfect, i.e. the display was perfectly horizontal. I drove a Platinum (Ire equivalent of Premium) and the display was noticeably tilted … even at the maximum adjustment in the settings. Wondering if this is just a 1-off or if anyone else has experienced this?
Unless it's a right hand drive issue I'd assume its a one off. My US GT Premium is perfectly level.

OP here. Thanks everyone for your valuable insight. I really struggled with this decision but have opted to go without Premium. I pick up my new car tonight and am pretty amped about it. Coming out of a Subie XV Crosstrek - the difference in quality is fairly stunning.

I'm getting my CX-5 GT in AWD snowflake white/parchment. Paying $28,500 before TT. I qualified for $500 family military and $1000 end of month factory cash. MSRP was $31,835. I'm pleased with deal.

Thanks again!
Congratulations and enjoy [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Except you can modify the "fixed position" on the windshield as others have mentioned. I've moved mine up significantly.

I didn’t know that the HUD display can be adjusted in all four directions. Sorry about the misinformation that I posted. I stand corrected.

Thanks again!

Congratulations and good decision, you can buy a HUD on Amazon for like $50 anyway.

Thanks again!
Looks like you got excellent deal especially with additional $1,000 end-of-month factory cash! (Is that really from factory, not from your dealer?)

I believe you made a right decision if you don't care the memory seat. The only reason I'd get GT Premium Package is the memory seat feature, although for $1,830 the price is too stiff for a memory seat!

LOL, yeah that's comparable... (rolleyes)
It's exactly the same. Just ignore that ungainly wire running down to your odb connector. Definitely put that comment in the Mango hall of fame. Bet Mangos first in line when Honda adds one in 2022.

Actually they work over Bluetooth, no wires needed. You can also get live traffic updates/rerouting with them as well.:)

You'll have to show me that one. This beauty needs a cable.
0addedc3e1e2f434b8dc81f8e17d5fe4.jpg

That is crap, but it is an intriguing point. I didn't realize there were decent bluetooth OBD II aftermarket heads up displays.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

This one for $500 looks pretty good, has some features missing from Mazda's, like Google Maps integration. Aside from not being built in, the only other obvious shortcoming to me is that it lacks the speed limit display, and I guess the safety warnings.

I'll have to see how the diesels are configured.

Actually they work over Bluetooth, no wires needed. You can also get live traffic updates/rerouting with them as well.:)

But still nowhere near comparable. Real HUD looks like it's floating over your hood (increased visual distance reduces the time your eye needs to focus on it).

Also, your dashboard "$50 version" won't have important displays such as blind spot monitoring, traffic sign recognition, radar cruise setting/distance, lane assist indicators, forward obstruction warnings, and built-in navigation (controlled by voice/controller knob, not a phone you can't reach far up on your dashboard haha). But you can tell yourself it's comparable if that helps you sleep ;)

Latest posts

Back