Struggling w Premium decision

Disagree Unobtanium. That's an extra $30/month on your payment with a 5 year loan. IF these are features you don't want....

I do agree with Lowin and that mentality. I went from Touring to GT for just a couple of features. Get what you want. Do not scrimp and NOT get something you want. There was honestly not ONE feature in iActivesense I wanted. So I didn't get it. Don't regret it.
But I DID go GT for Dual Zone Auto Climate Control. I did go Tech Package for Adaptive Headlights. I did pay for the Sunroof package...for a sunroof and Bose Stereo. Anytime I buy brand new (which, ok this was the first time ever) I am going to get everything I want.
Of course, my wife helped, too. She's awesome. "Pay more to get what you want. Don't pinch pennies here."
#NoRegrets (Really wanted cloth seats which is why I wanted Touring. The leather is damn nice though. No pennies pinched there).

Last edited:
Obviously, Denny. No one said, (I don't think) "no one needs that. What a waste!" Different strokes and we all know that.

How do you find it when people don't go fully loaded and don't regret it? :D

As long as people are happy with what they get all is good! Different strokes and all that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I couldn't wait to try this feature out on the Volvo (that was included, not part of a package). Not only memory, but they work with the fob. So if I unlock, it moves to my position...as long as I use 'my' fob. So one day I get the seat perfectly configured for me. Save it, and lock the car with my remote. That sets it. Wife does the same. Sweet! Fast forward to today. Yea, I think at this point both fobs are programmed to her. FOb's aren't marked. I get in the car and move the seat back. That's about all the adjustment I need. It even has memory buttons... don't use 'em. Just move the seat back. Yea, I'm going to disagree: no way on god's green is this worth $1800.... even if you're 2 feet taller then your wife. TEHO
It all depends on the person. Some like you say it's not worth it. Others say it is. FYI the seat moves when you actually open the door after pressing the fob [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On the Volvo, you merely have to have the fob on you. Open door and it adjusts.
Of course it might be worth $1,800 to some. Just counter pointing: not worth a dollar to me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Disagree Unobtanium. That's an extra $30/month on your payment with a 5 year loan. IF these are features you don't want....

I do agree with Lowin and that mentality. I went from Touring to GT for just a couple of features. Get what you want. Do not scrimp and NOT get something you want. There was honestly not ONE feature in iActivesense I wanted. So I didn't get it. Don't regret it.
But I DID go GT for Dual Zone Auto Climate Control. I did go Tech Package for Adaptive Headlights. I did pay for the Sunroof package...for a sunroof and Bose Stereo. Anytime I buy brand new (which, ok this was the first time ever) I am going to get everything I want.
Of course, my wife helped, too. She's awesome. "Pay more to get what you want. Don't pinch pennies here."
#NoRegrets (Really wanted cloth seats which is why I wanted Touring. The leather is damn nice though. No pennies pinched there).

Well obviously I meant if you didn't want it, why add it, but I figured that would be common sense?

Like I tell my 6 year old "say what you mean". He wants to know if the features are worth $1850. Your comment is out of place.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm really close to moving on a 17 GT, but cannot decide on the Premium package.

I'll be the only driver 99.9% of the time, so seat memory not that appealing to me.
No young kids - I doubt anyone will ever sit in the back seat so rear seat heaters not appealing to me.
Power passenger seat - not really my problem - I'll never sit there :)
Heated steering wheel - meh, I'd probably pay $20 if it were a la carte.
Heated wipers - meh, I'd probably pay $25 if it were a la carte.
HUD - this is the crux of the issue. It's super cool, a little distracting at first, but ultimately will increase safety for sure. $1850 is a lot of money, though.
Resale - I feel the package will definitely help resale, but not a huge issue here.

Any feedback one way or the other?

Thanks!
Are you really dead set on getting a CX-5? If you're not, then you should consider the Mazda 6 GT, which is basically the sedan version of the CX-5. You already get HUD and the traffic sign reader as part of the GT trim. No need to pay for extra packages.

I'll say this - it's completely worth it for me, and just for the HUD. I'm sure when winter comes the heated wipers will come into play and maybe even the heated steering wheel. Memory seat not a biggie for me since it's only me driving and no rug rats to put in the back seat, although my friends may appreciate me at some point.

I don't find the HUD information redundant. To my knowledge nowhere else in the car tells me the speed limit, so having the speed limit and my speed in the same location without having to look away from the road is fantastic. When using the NAV, being told which two or three of the upcoming five lanes to be in graphically on the windshield is a very nice feature. How many times have I forgotten, or not even been told anything other than turn right at the upcoming intersection. But one of the biggest advantages of the HUD to me is the blind spot information on the HUD - so I don't have to look at the outside of either of my mirrors.

Is it worth $1800 for you? Only you can answer that, but I'll agree with many of the others who've said it's better not to regret it down the line than to potentially regret it.

The whole issue of the redundancy of the HUD information is, to me, a laugh. It misses the whole point. The only issue about what information is displayed is that it be important and information that's referred to often. The whole point of the HUD is where this information is displayed.

When I don't have to look down at my instrument cluster to see how fast I'm going vs the speed limit, or check my mirrors to see there's someone on my right that means I don't have to take my eyes off the road nearly as often. When I don't have to worry about checking speed limit signs constantly because the camera is looking for me, I spend more time watching the cars in front of me. It reduces cockpit workload and makes my drive more relaxing and safer.

Awareness is the most important safety factor and as such I think the HUD is the most effective of the new iActivesense safety features on the car.

Are you really dead set on getting a CX-5? If you're not, then you should consider the Mazda 6 GT, which is basically the sedan version of the CX-5. You already get HUD and the traffic sign reader as part of the GT trim. No need to pay for extra packages.

You do miss out on MRCC with stop go on the 6 GT

Based on the trim comparsion data for a 2017 Mazda 6 from Edmunds, that is already included in the GT trim.

MRCC with stop and go is only available on CX-5 and not on the 6 let alone 3 & CX-9.

This is per Mazda USA brochures.

I believe the CX-5 is the first to receive this and later will be added to other models.

MRCC with stop and go is only available on CX-5 and not on the 6 let alone 3 & CX-9.

This is per Mazda USA brochures.

I believe the CX-5 is the first to receive this and later will be added to other models.
Maybe it is not called MRCC for the 2017 Mazda 6, but I have seen and posted in some other thread here a video of a journalist testing the adaptive cruise control on a 2017 Mazda 6, and it looked like it did exactly that. I'll try to find that video.

The previous incarnation of MRCC that's currently offered in the other models cuts out at 15 mph, so it won't handle stop and go traffic for you. My wife's van has radar cruise control with stop and go and it's not a feature I like to use. Traffic around here is pretty aggressive, especially during commuting hours, and using radar cruise control in heavy traffic is just an invitation for people to cut in front of you and push you backwards, over and over and over again.

If you have a lead foot and find yourself exceeding the speed limit frequently, then by all means get the Premium Package with HUD. It might save you from getting speeding tickets. Otherwise you don’t need it because as you said, the other features in the package aren’t essential for you.

The HUD display was originally developed for fighter pilots. Now it’s been adapted for car drivers. HUD could have a better implementation than it does on the CX-5. For example, the speed is projected onto a fixed position on your windshield. It would be better if you could adjust the position up/down/left/right where you want it but you can’t. I found HUD to be distracting with the speed displayed right in front of your face all the time. You do have the option though to turn it off. Because you don’t care about the other features in the Premium Package, it’s probably not worth it. Save the $1850 for something else. I can think of countless other things to spend or save $1850 on.

I don’t think the Premium Package will help on resale value either. When it comes time for you to sell your car, most people will only care about the car’s condition, the number of miles, and whether it’s been in any accidents. They’re not going to care if it has the Premium Package with HUD or not. I doubt that you’ll get more for it than a GT without the Premium Package.

The whole issue of the redundancy of the HUD information is, to me, a laugh. It misses the whole point. The only issue about what information is displayed is that it be important and information that's referred to often. The whole point of the HUD is where this information is displayed.

When I don't have to look down at my instrument cluster to see how fast I'm going vs the speed limit, or check my mirrors to see there's someone on my right that means I don't have to take my eyes off the road nearly as often. When I don't have to worry about checking speed limit signs constantly because the camera is looking for me, I spend more time watching the cars in front of me. It reduces cockpit workload and makes my drive more relaxing and safer.

Awareness is the most important safety factor and as such I think the HUD is the most effective of the new iActivesense safety features on the car.

Bingo! HUD is a huge safety feature for sure. When I look down at a speedometer now, I'm alarmed at how long I'm taking my focus away from the road. Lots of things can happen in that split second. I'll never have a vehicle without HUD from now on.

Maybe it is not called MRCC for the 2017 Mazda 6, but I have seen and posted in some other thread here a video of a journalist testing the adaptive cruise control on a 2017 Mazda 6, and it looked like it did exactly that. I'll try to find that video.

No worries (thumb)

FYI - MRCC is adaptive cruise control. The difference is the stop/go add on.

From CX-5 brochure:

CX-5.jpg

From 6 USA brochure:

image.jpg

Notice the difference in wording

Last edited:
Back