Struggling w Premium decision

:
Sub xTrek
I'm really close to moving on a 17 GT, but cannot decide on the Premium package.

I'll be the only driver 99.9% of the time, so seat memory not that appealing to me.
No young kids - I doubt anyone will ever sit in the back seat so rear seat heaters not appealing to me.
Power passenger seat - not really my problem - I'll never sit there :)
Heated steering wheel - meh, I'd probably pay $20 if it were a la carte.
Heated wipers - meh, I'd probably pay $25 if it were a la carte.
HUD - this is the crux of the issue. It's super cool, a little distracting at first, but ultimately will increase safety for sure. $1850 is a lot of money, though.
Resale - I feel the package will definitely help resale, but not a huge issue here.

Any feedback one way or the other?

Thanks!

I bought it and would do it again.Hud is awesome

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HUD can be bought after market. So my understanding is 17 base GT comes will hi tech safety like Auto braking / lane assist / radar cruise?
That should be more than enough.

Save 1850 on the package and maybe get parking sensors and aftermarket HUD.

Only you can decide how much you want that HUD. Sounds like nothing else really matters to you at this point, but that's not to say things like heated wheel and windshield won't grow on you if you're in a climate that will use it in the winter.

Only you can decide how much you want that HUD. Sounds like nothing else really matters to you at this point, but that's not to say things like heated wheel and windshield won't grow on you if you're in a climate that will use it in the winter.

$1800 for a feature that give you redundant information? Save your $$$. I'd probably buy some new rims or upgrade the sound system with that money.

I got the premium package mainly for the HUD and memory seats. Memory seats was a must for me even though I'm the driver 99% of the time. I just found it really hard to find my sweet spot after someone moved it, whether it be the valet or dealer, I have a hard time getting comfortable again lol As for the HUD, this one is great and much better than the one I had on the mazda3 with the flip up plastic screen. Everything else in the package isn't important to me since I live I SoCal it hardly gets cold enough to use windshield deicer, but I guess the heated rear seats might come in handy. Overall no regrets getting the premium package and I usually get my vehicles fully loaded so I don't regret it later down the road.

I was in the same predicament, but didn't get the premium package. I mainly wanted the HUD over the other options, but $1800+ couldn't justify it. The other tech gives the same information in different areas - audible beeps, blind spot indicators on side view mirrors, dash info, etc so safety monitoring is still present.

$1800 for a feature that give you redundant information? Save your $$$. I'd probably buy some new rims or upgrade the sound system with that money.

Be sure to get those rims from the stealership!

But seriously, I actually kinda agree with you Mango. Kinda. If HUD is all you care about out of the package, then $1800 is too much in my opinion. What I don't agree with is the "redundant information" point. A HUD is a HUD. Easier to see that info there than elsewhere. But $1800 for just the HUD? Yeah, too much.

Last edited:
HUD is neat but I do actually find it distracting and truly question its worth as an added safety feature so for me (even though I'd enjoy the heated wheel, wipers and to a limited extent memory seats) its pretty easy 'no thanks' for me..

Last edited:
HUD alone isn't worth $1800 but the rest of the package makes it a no brainer.the memory seats are awesome for me as the wife and I have very different seating positions.Once you get used to the HUD it is awesome,Honda owners are of course jealous no matter how they try to hide it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just get it. I regret not getting the Iactive sense package on my CX5. At time of purchase I thought nothing of it, now I regret it. It purely is just a want though and included nothing I needed. But if you're into your cars, get it. Some people don't care. I'd say most of us here care. If you can afford it, get it.

I dont think ill ever own another car w/o HUD....worth it!

If you really want it and 1800 isn't that big a deal then by all means do it but if you think spending 1800 more up front will result in losing less in depreciation upon resale that's a bad assumption imo. Active safety tech on the other hand..likely a much better investment down the road as it will be ubiquitous in the years to come.

I'm really close to moving on a 17 GT, but cannot decide on the Premium package.

I'll be the only driver 99.9% of the time, so seat memory not that appealing to me.
No young kids - I doubt anyone will ever sit in the back seat so rear seat heaters not appealing to me.
Power passenger seat - not really my problem - I'll never sit there :)
Heated steering wheel - meh, I'd probably pay $20 if it were a la carte.
Heated wipers - meh, I'd probably pay $25 if it were a la carte.
HUD - this is the crux of the issue. It's super cool, a little distracting at first, but ultimately will increase safety for sure. $1850 is a lot of money, though.
Resale - I feel the package will definitely help resale, but not a huge issue here.

Any feedback one way or the other?

Thanks!

I've said this before... try and use hindsight now. Pay the extra now instead of down the track you go "Why didn't I select the premium package?!?!"

You will save yourself alot of grief and regret :)

Active safety tech on the other hand..likely a much better investment down the road as it will be ubiquitous in the years to come.

Until the warranty expires and something breaks..yikes that stuff is expensive. Hopefully its reliable though.

Until the warranty expires and something breaks..yikes that stuff is expensive. Hopefully its reliable though.

Some of this tech has been around for several years now so if there are any issues they should be happening around now

Some of this tech has been around for several years now so if there are any issues they should be happening around now

Yeah I am assuming it'll all be fine but I can imagine the frustration if something went wrong. Similarly to the LED headlights going out post warranty.

Latest posts

Back