2016 CX-9 Azami on Vossen 22"

Looks Fantastic! These are the exact wheels I am also looking at except in the machined finish. Is there any rubbing issues? Is the speedometer off? Also, why did you go for the 30 offset instead of the safer 42?

No rubbing issues. With the tyres spec I chose 285/35/22 it's 7mm smaller than stock 255/50/20, so there's almost no noticeable difference. Went with +30 offset as that was a safer options for me due to the width of the wheels, as I wasn't sure if it is going to rub on the inside suspension, and never worried about rubbing on the outside as I never intended to lower the car, so it will have enough suspension travel to prevent any rubbing on the guards.

great job on those rims and tires, the cx9 looks amazing, I certainly believe the guy that designed that suv thought it just like it looks on ur pics.
now I see my 20 inch original rims and my cx9 looks dull and certainly soft.

now here comes the question, I live in a country that going to 22s would harshen the ride quite a bit , speacially while travelling on the interionr of the country so I would prefer to stay with 20 inch rims, although going wider would be a good idea, any recommendations on the off set ? and tire size? I was thinking 275/45/20 .

Edgar_C,
I've been meaning to ask if you've noticed any difference in handling performance? For instance, with cornering/turning stability, stopping stability, maneuverability, etc. Either better or worse? I was curious how lowering the offset, effectively, "pushing" the tire out more, might affect the handling.

Thanks for your input.

Man, these look amazing. Awesome choice!

Any changes in suspension or sitting stock?

great job on those rims and tires, the cx9 looks amazing, I certainly believe the guy that designed that suv thought it just like it looks on ur pics.
now I see my 20 inch original rims and my cx9 looks dull and certainly soft.

now here comes the question, I live in a country that going to 22s would harshen the ride quite a bit , speacially while travelling on the interionr of the country so I would prefer to stay with 20 inch rims, although going wider would be a good idea, any recommendations on the off set ? and tire size? I was thinking 275/45/20 .

Hey mate, sorry for the delayed response. No issues with 275/45 in fact it’s as close as you can get to stock height only 4mm smaller in diameter so you get better road surface while not have to worry about speedo variance.

Edgar_C,
I've been meaning to ask if you've noticed any difference in handling performance? For instance, with cornering/turning stability, stopping stability, maneuverability, etc. Either better or worse? I was curious how lowering the offset, effectively, "pushing" the tire out more, might affect the handling.

Thanks for your input.

It definitely handles better than stock as the stock Falken tyres weren’t the best in terms of grip.

I can definitely tell the difference in hard cornering (not that I do that a lot!) where the car definitely feels a lot more planted to the ground.

It is in part because of the lower offset, wider wheels, more road surface and definitely the Pirellis :)

Man, these look amazing. Awesome choice!

Any changes in suspension or sitting stock?

No changes to Suspension as no one really makes aftermarket options for it, but if there’s one I’m definitely up for a trial! :)

This is still daily driven car with my two young boys at the back, so I don’t necessarily want stuff around with the ride quality.

Also don’t want to void any warranty by replacing any mechanical parts.

Got it!

This is my first SUV and I'm used to having to lower the car when you add bigger wheels but it seems like the 22"s here just filled the wheel well perfectly and didn't raise up the ride or anything. Love the look!

Looks great, Edgar!

Question: In your homework, did you note the difference in the unsprung weight added by this package? I would find it difficult to imagine a scenario where this combo reduced unsprung weight. Just curious.

It definitely handles better than stock as the stock Falken tyres werent the best in terms of grip.

That's pretty nice to hear about these tires because I get a lot of grip from the stock Falkens. So, a better handling 22 that does not alter ride quality to the negative side (as you say) is definitely something to look forward to.

I can definitely tell the difference in hard cornering (not that I do that a lot!) where the car definitely feels a lot more planted to the ground.

I do that quite a bit, so thanks for the information.

It is in part because of the lower offset, wider wheels, more road surface and definitely the Pirellis :)

Thanks a bunch. I was sort of hoping to hear from someone who went this large on the wheel diameter and this narrow on the tire profile, to check in and give their opinion. Outstanding!

It definitely handles better than stock as the stock Falken tyres werent the best in terms of grip.

Thank you, kindly, for all of the information you've shared! It has been very useful. I hope all is well with you, and your ride.

By the way, I stumbled across this resource that, among other things, helps you visualize how your new setup might fit in the wheel well. Hopefully it may be useful for you, or anyone else that may be reading this post and contemplating "upgrading" their wheels.

Here it is below:

https://www.willtheyfit.com

Hey Edgar, wanted to ask you, since you have the experience at this point and I think you have the best looking install I've seen, what you thought about my situation. I too want to put a 285/35/22 tire on my car but the specific rim I want to use is a 22" 10.5" with a 20mm offset. I was wondering if you thought this to be possible or what issues I may have or any ideas about that kind of offset. The simulators I've been looking at are showing a very negligible difference but I find it difficult to order these wheels without being certain they will go on with reasonable effort. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Hey Edgar, wanted to ask you, since you have the experience at this point and I think you have the best looking install I've seen, what you thought about my situation. I too want to put a 285/35/22 tire on my car but the specific rim I want to use is a 22" 10.5" with a 20mm offset. I was wondering if you thought this to be possible or what issues I may have or any ideas about that kind of offset. The simulators I've been looking at are showing a very negligible difference but I find it difficult to order these wheels without being certain they will go on with reasonable effort. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Great looking photos by the way!

Just about to buy Vertini Magic Black 22x10.5 for my new Mazda CX9 GT. I recon Edgar got the size and offset just right here. I also plan to take an inch out of the suspension and will hope ill get enough tuck to not get any rubbing issues. Will update as I go.

Looks great, Edgar!

Question: In your homework, did you note the difference in the unsprung weight added by this package? I would find it difficult to imagine a scenario where this combo reduced unsprung weight. Just curious.

Definitely not in it for the weight reduction, so no, didn't feel anything lol

Great looking photos by the way!

Depends on how much you're pushing the suspension. I regularly carry 7 passengers on most weekend (that's why I got this car in the first place!) so for me, I wouldn't want to risk going any more extreme on the offset. The current offset with tyre combo is relatively flush to the guard (it's the rubber you have to worry about), and if you do bottom out your suspension it should still tuck behind the guards.

Other thing to note is, in Australia we have tight parking spaces with lot os parallel parking (street parking next to curbs or pavement) and with the current setup you're looking at just over 2 metres wide wheel to wheel, and my 2016 model didn't come with 360 camera. So if you care for you wheels then it's not going to be an easy park. Going lower in offset also affects your turning circle, making car park parking challenging too.

Back