Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2016 CX-9 Azami on Vossen 22"

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-9 Azami (AUS)

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Hi Edgar, bumping your thread as I have a question about the width of the wheels you chose (10.5") with that offset (ET+30). How close does the inner wheel/tire sit to the suspension assy and inner fender guard? Have you experienced any rubbing? Still able to make full-lock u-turns without issues?
    Hey, apologies for the delay, for some reason I didnít get any notification on the new posts.

The lower offset definitely clears the suspension. Iíve had no issues with fender/guards and full-lock u-turns.

But this is because Iím running on stock suspension, if youíre thinking of going for a lowered suspension setup, then it will definitely rub against the plastic trim on the fenders/guard

All I can honestly say is, this car loves wide and low offset wheels, the wheel well is so huge anything less looks kinda soft, if you look at the stock wheels, itís probably the one thing that really let the look of the car down.

So the wider the wheels and the lower the offset it makes the car look a lot more proportioned (like itís meant to be) and made it looks more Euro

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-9 Azami (AUS)

Hope this helps with regards to the perspective on where the wheels sit relative to the guards/fenders

Front Wheels

Rear

Registered Member

2016 CX9 Signature

Offset question

Really love the look here. Although out of production, online it looks like there's Vossen CV4s in 22x10.5 with offset of 42. Do you think I'm pushing my luck with my 2016 CX9 and the 42 offset since you used 30?

The other option is to go the safe route of 22x9, offset 32.

Any advice? Thank you.

Zack

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I went with the same sizing as Edgar on my wheels (22x10.5 +30). Like you ZackAttack, I wanted to be sure that they would fit with no issue, so I took a photo of the space between the OEM inner rim/tire and the suspension and brake components behind the wheel. Here's the photo.

Based on this, I estimated 20 mm of clearance. The 10.5 +30 setup puts me 10.4 mm closer to the strut, which is fine. With a 10.5 +42 setup, you'll be sitting 22.4 mm closer to the strut. I think the brakes on this car are small enough to clear a +42 offset no problem, but the strut is too close to call just by eyeballing it. I would try and measure the space somehow before committing to a 10.5 +42. A 9" width with a +32 offset should work without issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

2016 CX9 Signature

Thanks sm1ke! This is very helpful. Would you mind sharing what the clearance on the other side looks like? Guessing it's pretty similar to Edgar_C, but figured I'd confirm. Also, have you seen anyone post pictures of 22x9 with 32 offset on the 2nd gen CX9? I'm wondering if the outer wheel edge comes out a bit further than OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackAttack View Post
    Thanks sm1ke! This is very helpful. Would you mind sharing what the clearance on the other side looks like? Guessing it's pretty similar to Edgar_C, but figured I'd confirm. Also, have you seen anyone post pictures of 22x9 with 32 offset on the 2nd gen CX9? I'm wondering if the outer wheel edge comes out a bit further than OEM.
    The clearance on the other side of the wheel for my set would be exactly the same as Edgar_C's setup (I haven't installed my set yet, waiting for summer). Comparing 22x9 +32 and 22x10.5 +30, the only real difference is the 1.5" difference in width. So, the 22x9 would sit about 0.75" more inboard than Edgar's setup. It's a nice, conservative setup that should work just fine. Comparing with the 8.5" +45 of the OEM wheel, the 9" +32 will sit 0.25" plus 13mm (or 19.35mm total) further out than the OEM setup.
    Last edited by sm1ke; 02-12-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Edgar, your Vossen rims are awesome. I actually wanted those precise rims but had to settle for Cavallos, 20" ◊ 8.5! Not quite as recessed as the vossen line but they work!

Mazda Speed Protege #987

Did you put hub rings on with the vssens, op? Reason being is that I have the same exact rim as you on my cx9 but am getting vibration at highway speed. I did not install hub rings when I put the rims on.

Thank you!

1st Thumper'd Protege.

300whp 4 doors. Yeah for grocery getting

Quote Originally Posted by azian6er View Post
    Did you put hub rings on with the vssens, op? Reason being is that I have the same exact rim as you on my cx9 but am getting vibration at highway speed. I did not install hub rings when I put the rims on.

Thank you!
    I'm not the OP but I also have Vossens in the same size. I didn't install hub rings because I made sure that I got the right centre bore size for the wheels (67.1mm). Hub rings are only necessary if you buy wheels with a centre bore larger than your car's centre bore (like putting wheels with a 73mm centre bore on a car with a 67.1mm hub). What is the centre bore of the rims you have?

If it isn't the centre bore, I'd start with retorquing the wheels (make sure they're retorqued in the correct sequence). Following that, I'd try to get the wheels rebalanced. If the issue still occurs after rebalancing, it could be due to a tire defect. Some new vehicle owners who were reporting vibration issues on their OEM wheels traced it back to the tires, which were flatspotting overnight. It's possible that this could also be happening with your tires.

I currently have a bit of vibration, but it's because the shop that mounted and balanced my set of wheels used wheel weights with defective adhesive, which led to some of the weights falling off while driving. I'm getting the wheels rebalanced in the next couple of weeks and it should solve the vibration issue for me.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda Speed Protege #987

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I'm not the OP but I also have Vossens in the same size. I didn't install hub rings because I made sure that I got the right centre bore size for the wheels (67.1mm). Hub rings are only necessary if you buy wheels with a centre bore larger than your car's centre bore (like putting wheels with a 73mm centre bore on a car with a 67.1mm hub). What is the centre bore of the rims you have?

If it isn't the centre bore, I'd start with retorquing the wheels (make sure they're retorqued in the correct sequence). Following that, I'd try to get the wheels rebalanced. If the issue still occurs after rebalancing, it could be due to a tire defect. Some new vehicle owners who were reporting vibration issues on their OEM wheels traced it back to the tires, which were flatspotting overnight. It's possible that this could also be happening with your tires.

I currently have a bit of vibration, but it's because the shop that mounted and balanced my set of wheels used wheel weights with defective adhesive, which led to some of the weights falling off while driving. I'm getting the wheels rebalanced in the next couple of weeks and it should solve the vibration issue for me.
    Thanks for the response! I believe the set i have - The vossen cv4 22x10.5 5x4.5 (5x114.3) +30 has a bore size of 73.1. I have ordered hub rings 67.1 to 73mm (7 bux on amazon) so i will try those first. The rims were used off of a ford explorer (got them for 1850 shipped with newer continental extreme contact sports!).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234