2016 CX-9 Azami on Vossen 22"

No worries!

So regarding offset, the lower the number, the more the wheel will "stick out". With the OEM 20x8.5 wheels which have a +45 offset, if you were to switch to a 20x8.5 wheel with a +30 offset, the new wheel would stick out 15 mm more than the original wheel. If you were to add a 10mm wheel spacer to the mix, it would push the wheel out more, as if you had used a wheel with a +20 offset.

In my case, with my 2018, I swapped the OEM 20x8.5 +45 wheels with 22x10.5 +30 wheels. Disregarding offset for a second, the change in width means that I would have 1 extra inch of width on both the front half of the rim and the rear half of the rim, meaning the front face would be 1 inch closer to the fender liner, and the rear face 1 inch closer to the suspension. When you factor in the difference in offset, because the new wheels have a lower offset (by 15mm), the entire wheel is shifted 15mm outwards, making it 15mm closer to the fender liner, but 15mm further from the suspension.

Let's use my wheels and fitment as an example (sorry not the best pic to illustrate).. this is 10.5 wide with +30mm offset, with a 5mm spacer on the rear. With regard to how the wheel looks on the car, its like having wheels that are now 10.5 wide with +25mm offset.

View attachment 317691

If the Curva wheels you're considering are the same width at 10.5, but have an offset of +40mm, that means that they will sit 15mm further in compared to what's shown above (40 - 25 = 15).

For a better visual representation, you can use wheel and tire calculators like wheel-size.com or willtheyfit.com. You can plug in your current wheel and tire size and a wheel and tire size you want to try, and it'll give you a visual representation of how the setup will change in relation to your current setup.
@sm1ke you are the best! This is the best description of how offsets work that i have seen yet! Your CX-9 is exactly the look Im going for, so thanks for sharing the photos as well. You reall yhave saved me so much time and research, thank you so much!!

Back