2016 CX-9 Azami on Vossen 22"

Hi Edgar C!!

I am from Adelaide also and am considering Vossen wheels, was considering staying with the 20inch so I can retain the tyre side wall for comfort.

Do you think 20 x 10 will fit with the same offset as yours or maybe +35. Was thinking 285/45/20 tyres so same as stock side wall/circumference.

Thinking of the Vossen CVT in either Tinted Gloss Black or Gloss Graphite.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw1gbOvYH0aUmmq5wTU4ECJ8&ust=1531110432414689

Hi Edgar, bumping your thread as I have a question about the width of the wheels you chose (10.5") with that offset (ET+30). How close does the inner wheel/tire sit to the suspension assy and inner fender guard? Have you experienced any rubbing? Still able to make full-lock u-turns without issues?

Hi Edgar C!!

I am from Adelaide also and am considering Vossen wheels, was considering staying with the 20inch so I can retain the tyre side wall for comfort.

Do you think 20 x 10 will fit with the same offset as yours or maybe +35. Was thinking 285/45/20 tyres so same as stock side wall/circumference.

Thinking of the Vossen CVT in either Tinted Gloss Black or Gloss Graphite.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw1gbOvYH0aUmmq5wTU4ECJ8&ust=1531110432414689

Go for it but the lower the offset the better because them guards can swallow!

Hi Edgar, bumping your thread as I have a question about the width of the wheels you chose (10.5") with that offset (ET+30). How close does the inner wheel/tire sit to the suspension assy and inner fender guard? Have you experienced any rubbing? Still able to make full-lock u-turns without issues?

Hey, apologies for the delay, for some reason I didnt get any notification on the new posts.

The lower offset definitely clears the suspension. Ive had no issues with fender/guards and full-lock u-turns.

But this is because Im running on stock suspension, if youre thinking of going for a lowered suspension setup, then it will definitely rub against the plastic trim on the fenders/guard

All I can honestly say is, this car loves wide and low offset wheels, the wheel well is so huge anything less looks kinda soft, if you look at the stock wheels, its probably the one thing that really let the look of the car down.

So the wider the wheels and the lower the offset it makes the car look a lot more proportioned (like its meant to be) and made it looks more Euro

Hope this helps with regards to the perspective on where the wheels sit relative to the guards/fenders

Front Wheels

d08c75dead45d3e5476238854adf8999.jpg

b73da66c0aac9e9aa4d898a6df7ff4c3.jpg

4fbf3fcac44a31858619b136c48a474a.jpg

Rear

2696292a2460e04b16fa12d7f896d2b8.jpg

Offset question

Really love the look here. Although out of production, online it looks like there's Vossen CV4s in 22x10.5 with offset of 42. Do you think I'm pushing my luck with my 2016 CX9 and the 42 offset since you used 30?

The other option is to go the safe route of 22x9, offset 32.

Any advice? Thank you.

Zack

I went with the same sizing as Edgar on my wheels (22x10.5 +30). Like you ZackAttack, I wanted to be sure that they would fit with no issue, so I took a photo of the space between the OEM inner rim/tire and the suspension and brake components behind the wheel. Here's the photo.

attachment.php

Based on this, I estimated 20 mm of clearance. The 10.5 +30 setup puts me 10.4 mm closer to the strut, which is fine. With a 10.5 +42 setup, you'll be sitting 22.4 mm closer to the strut. I think the brakes on this car are small enough to clear a +42 offset no problem, but the strut is too close to call just by eyeballing it. I would try and measure the space somehow before committing to a 10.5 +42. A 9" width with a +32 offset should work without issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20180902_115753.jpg
    IMG_20180902_115753.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 1,379
Thanks sm1ke! This is very helpful. Would you mind sharing what the clearance on the other side looks like? Guessing it's pretty similar to Edgar_C, but figured I'd confirm. Also, have you seen anyone post pictures of 22x9 with 32 offset on the 2nd gen CX9? I'm wondering if the outer wheel edge comes out a bit further than OEM.

Thanks sm1ke! This is very helpful. Would you mind sharing what the clearance on the other side looks like? Guessing it's pretty similar to Edgar_C, but figured I'd confirm. Also, have you seen anyone post pictures of 22x9 with 32 offset on the 2nd gen CX9? I'm wondering if the outer wheel edge comes out a bit further than OEM.

The clearance on the other side of the wheel for my set would be exactly the same as Edgar_C's setup (I haven't installed my set yet, waiting for summer). Comparing 22x9 +32 and 22x10.5 +30, the only real difference is the 1.5" difference in width. So, the 22x9 would sit about 0.75" more inboard than Edgar's setup. It's a nice, conservative setup that should work just fine. Comparing with the 8.5" +45 of the OEM wheel, the 9" +32 will sit 0.25" plus 13mm (or 19.35mm total) further out than the OEM setup.

Last edited:
Edgar, your Vossen rims are awesome. I actually wanted those precise rims but had to settle for Cavallos, 20" 8.5! Not quite as recessed as the vossen line but they work!

Did you put hub rings on with the vssens, op? Reason being is that I have the same exact rim as you on my cx9 but am getting vibration at highway speed. I did not install hub rings when I put the rims on.

Thank you!

Did you put hub rings on with the vssens, op? Reason being is that I have the same exact rim as you on my cx9 but am getting vibration at highway speed. I did not install hub rings when I put the rims on.

Thank you!

I'm not the OP but I also have Vossens in the same size. I didn't install hub rings because I made sure that I got the right centre bore size for the wheels (67.1mm). Hub rings are only necessary if you buy wheels with a centre bore larger than your car's centre bore (like putting wheels with a 73mm centre bore on a car with a 67.1mm hub). What is the centre bore of the rims you have?

If it isn't the centre bore, I'd start with retorquing the wheels (make sure they're retorqued in the correct sequence). Following that, I'd try to get the wheels rebalanced. If the issue still occurs after rebalancing, it could be due to a tire defect. Some new vehicle owners who were reporting vibration issues on their OEM wheels traced it back to the tires, which were flatspotting overnight. It's possible that this could also be happening with your tires.

I currently have a bit of vibration, but it's because the shop that mounted and balanced my set of wheels used wheel weights with defective adhesive, which led to some of the weights falling off while driving. I'm getting the wheels rebalanced in the next couple of weeks and it should solve the vibration issue for me.

I'm not the OP but I also have Vossens in the same size. I didn't install hub rings because I made sure that I got the right centre bore size for the wheels (67.1mm). Hub rings are only necessary if you buy wheels with a centre bore larger than your car's centre bore (like putting wheels with a 73mm centre bore on a car with a 67.1mm hub). What is the centre bore of the rims you have?

If it isn't the centre bore, I'd start with retorquing the wheels (make sure they're retorqued in the correct sequence). Following that, I'd try to get the wheels rebalanced. If the issue still occurs after rebalancing, it could be due to a tire defect. Some new vehicle owners who were reporting vibration issues on their OEM wheels traced it back to the tires, which were flatspotting overnight. It's possible that this could also be happening with your tires.

I currently have a bit of vibration, but it's because the shop that mounted and balanced my set of wheels used wheel weights with defective adhesive, which led to some of the weights falling off while driving. I'm getting the wheels rebalanced in the next couple of weeks and it should solve the vibration issue for me.

Thanks for the response! I believe the set i have - The vossen cv4 22x10.5 5x4.5 (5x114.3) +30 has a bore size of 73.1. I have ordered hub rings 67.1 to 73mm (7 bux on amazon) so i will try those first. The rims were used off of a ford explorer (got them for 1850 shipped with newer continental extreme contact sports!).

This is my 2016 Australian Mazda CX-9 Azami (Signature equivalent for the US) on Vossen 22". It was a pretty daunting decision making process as there was no guidelines available when it comes to fitment and I had to order the wheels and get it shipped from Miami all the way to Australia. Had it not fit, I would pretty much be screwed because there's no way I could have sold this to anyone else locally due to the aggressive specs (most 22" are for European SUVs but with different PCD).

Fortunately they fit perfectly just fine, so if there is anyone out there who wants to know what you can fit under the Mazda CX-9 TC body, pretty much anything! Those wheel wells are a monster, it can swallow any size/fitment. However I believe if you want to push the limit with an aggressive look without going over-the-top, you can use my choice of fitment spec:

Rims
Vossen
22"x10.5"
PCD 5x114.3
Offset - +30

Tyres
Pirelli Scorpion Zero
285/35/R22

In comparison, the stock spec is as per below:
20"x8"
Offset +45
Tyres were Falken 255/50/R20

NNNmpCJ.jpg

YacXnzi.jpg

EVgzlSl.jpg

ERZ2zyf.jpg

yBUV5Os.jpg
Would you recommend a 285/35/22 tire for a 22x9.5 wheel on the 2017 CX-9?

I plan to go with the 22x10.5 +30 wheels on my 2016 Cx-9, but am wondering if a 285/40/22 will fit? Slightly more cushion than the 35s.

I plan to go with the 22x10.5 +30 wheels on my 2016 Cx-9, but am wondering if a 285/40/22 will fit? Slightly more cushion than the 35s.

They should fit no problem. It's an increase of 14mm in overall wheel diameter compared to 285/35, which is what I run on my 2018.

They should fit no problem. It's an increase of 14mm in overall wheel diameter compared to 285/35, which is what I run on my 2018.
Thanks sm1ke!

Now the problem Im having is finding a +35 wheel that I like in my price range. I found some Curva wheels that I like, but the offset is 40mm. Im not sure if a 40mm offset and a 40 series tire will work? Any thoughts on that?

OR, I have found plenty of wheels that have +25 or +30 offset, would a spacer would a 10mm or 5mm spacer be advised there? Not gonna lie, Im just now learning all about offsets, so please dont mind my lack of knowledge here.

Thanks sm1ke!

Now the problem Im having is finding a +35 wheel that I like in my price range. I found some Curva wheels that I like, but the offset is 40mm. Im not sure if a 40mm offset and a 40 series tire will work? Any thoughts on that?

OR, I have found plenty of wheels that have +25 or +30 offset, would a spacer would a 10mm or 5mm spacer be advised there? Not gonna lie, Im just now learning all about offsets, so please dont mind my lack of knowledge here.

No worries!

So regarding offset, the lower the number, the more the wheel will "stick out". With the OEM 20x8.5 wheels which have a +45 offset, if you were to switch to a 20x8.5 wheel with a +30 offset, the new wheel would stick out 15 mm more than the original wheel. If you were to add a 10mm wheel spacer to the mix, it would push the wheel out more, as if you had used a wheel with a +20 offset.

In my case, with my 2018, I swapped the OEM 20x8.5 +45 wheels with 22x10.5 +30 wheels. Disregarding offset for a second, the change in width means that I would have 1 extra inch of width on both the front half of the rim and the rear half of the rim, meaning the front face would be 1 inch closer to the fender liner, and the rear face 1 inch closer to the suspension. When you factor in the difference in offset, because the new wheels have a lower offset (by 15mm), the entire wheel is shifted 15mm outwards, making it 15mm closer to the fender liner, but 15mm further from the suspension.

Let's use my wheels and fitment as an example (sorry not the best pic to illustrate).. this is 10.5 wide with +30mm offset, with a 5mm spacer on the rear. With regard to how the wheel looks on the car, its like having wheels that are now 10.5 wide with +25mm offset.

20210508_082000.jpg

If the Curva wheels you're considering are the same width at 10.5, but have an offset of +40mm, that means that they will sit 15mm further in compared to what's shown above (40 - 25 = 15).

For a better visual representation, you can use wheel and tire calculators like wheel-size.com or willtheyfit.com. You can plug in your current wheel and tire size and a wheel and tire size you want to try, and it'll give you a visual representation of how the setup will change in relation to your current setup.

Back