Just received New 2018 CX-9 Info from Dealer

I debated Highlander vs CX-9 for a while, but after driving both, CX-9 was clearly the car I wanted for a daily driver and met my needs/wants.
I've had lots of Toyotas, and they are good cars, but this time around I went Mazda. Resale is not a concern, as I keep cars a long time.
Reliability I think is a wash, although I get a feeling Toyota has gone toward cheaper parts (esp shocks/struts) that are "engineered for short life span"

Time will tell...in the meantime, zoom zoom.

Totally agree with you! same situation with me back in late fall last year before I pulled trigger...nothing was wrong with the HL as it showed a bit more practicality than the CX9 but when I drove both and did the comparison, the drive was the main diff where the CX9 clearly was the choice. Also, the interior of the HL was showing its age (getting dated) and in my area there are a lot of HLs around so I wanted something less common like the CX9. Even until now I rarely see any 9s around...

I have been on the fence between pulling the trigger on a 17 cx9 or waiting for a 18 cx9. This morning my salesperson called me with the reported changes for the 18 model.
Here is the breakdown. Unfortunately no mention of Android Auto or Apple Carplay

New for Sport
SCBS
BSM
RCTA
GVC

Sport Package
Auto On-off H/L
High Beam Control
LKA / LDW
MRCC
Rain Sensing Wipers
Smart Brake Support

New for Touring
Front Driver seat adds tilt function
Power Passenger seats (Lift and lumbar)

Touring Premium Package
Adds Front Parking Sensor

GT
Traffic Sign Recognition
2nd Row Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Windshield De-Icer.

Signature
No Change
The Signature cannot be getting "No Change" if this list is accurate. If this is correct, at a minimum, the Signature has to be getting all the upgrades that each of the lower trim levels got that the Signature doesn't already have. Like power seat tilt, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, etc. Same for each trim level below that.

Last edited:
Based from pics vs my 2017 it looked like chrome accents were added to the front and rear bumpers to appear as "skid plates"

Those chrome accents don't mean it's a 2018. It could have been accessories added or perhaps something aftermarket.

A snap of the VIN would be the tell all.

I'm sorry, but that's not proof of an 18 model. The car has been on sale for 14 months and the 3rd model year is already on the street? Doubtful.

Those chrome accents don't mean it's a 2018. It could have been accessories added

A snap of the VIN would be the tell all.

I'm sorry, but that's not proof of an 18 model.
Agreed, There were just two there with distributor plates. Could have been added accessories, but not aftermarket.

Can someone explain what all the acronyms in the first post mean?

New for Sport
SCBS (Smart City Brake Support) this is the low speed frontal collision emergency braking system
BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) alerts visually and audibly when vehicle is in your blind spot
RCTA (Rear Cross Traffic Alert) alerts audibly when an obstacle is moving/entering behind the vehicle while in Reverse
GVC (G-vectoring Control) some adjustments Mazda made to the steering in turns that supposedly make it handle better (but most reviewers say you won't notice it)

Sport Package
Auto On-off H/L (Headlights)
High Beam Control
LKA / LDW (Lane Keeping Assist/ Lane Departure Warning)
MRCC (Mazda Radar Cruise Control) adaptive cruise control
Rain Sensing Wipers
Smart Brake Support

New for Touring

Touring Premium Package

GT (Grand Touring)
Traffic Sign Recognition
2nd Row Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Windshield De-Icer.

Don't see that many around in MA either.. most I see are Gray Metallic. My local dealership says they can't keep enough in stock - and they are a high volume dealer.. so where are the CX9s???

I really want the front parking sensors and the heated windshield.

Don't see that many around in MA either.. most I see are Gray Metallic. My local dealership says they can't keep enough in stock - and they are a high volume dealer.. so where are the CX9s???

I really want the front parking sensors and the heated windshield.

I see at least a couple a day now in MA but I also drive 100 miles a day. For some reason I never see a silver one. Looks great in silver, silver along with white is the most common color among cars, yet none to be found. My local dealer doesn't stock silvers, yet they always have blue ones, a much less popular color. What's the deal?

From this list I want most:
-Tilt adjustment for seats
-Heated Steering Wheel
-Traffic Sign Recognition

I have been on the fence between pulling the trigger on a 17 cx9 or waiting for a 18 cx9. This morning my salesperson called me with the reported changes for the 18 model.
Here is the breakdown. Unfortunately no mention of Android Auto or Apple Carplay

New for Sport
SCBS
BSM
RCTA
GVC

Sport Package
Auto On-off H/L
High Beam Control
LKA / LDW
MRCC
Rain Sensing Wipers
Smart Brake Support

New for Touring

Touring Premium Package

GT
Traffic Sign Recognition
2nd Row Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Windshield De-Icer.

Signature
No Change

For Australian buyers, here's what we get:

2018 Mazda CX-9 upgrades announced

Some extra differences here :-

1) We get more sound deadening:

Mazda has also added more sound deadening to improve noise vibration harshness (NVH) levels, including a reduction in the height difference between the rear end of the roof moulding and the tailgate, along with thicker noise-absorbing material on the underside of the headliner.

Theres new insulation materials on the back of the boot side trim, reducing tyre noise and other noise from the rear of the vehicle. Meanwhile, higher-density fibre in the floor mats better absorbs noise and the insulation layer added to the ceiling headliner reduces the reverberation of sound in the cabin.

2) Changes to rear seats:

Meanwhile, the second row seats have been revised to allow better access into the rearmost bench, with the backrest now leaning 33 degrees when the seat is slid forward, increasing the space between each second row seat and the rear wheel housing from 60mm to around 200mm. The slide rail retainers for the second row have also been changed from metal to plastic, reducing slide resistance by a claimed 30 per cent meaning it will be easier to slide the seats forward.

3) All models now get auto power-folding mirrors

Why can we not get shift paddles? I'm not asking because I want to flog the car like a sports car, but I live in Colorado and head up and down the mountains a lot and am always downshifting for engine braking on long downhills and so I flip up and down the gears far more than flatlanders. A car with sporty pretensions really should have them, and I would like them as a convenience factor.

Any word on whether they might show up?

Every vehicle I've tried shift paddles in sucks. Granted, I'm not doing Formula One racing.

I grew up with stick, so maybe I'm just too old. I'm sure someone does them well.

Why can we not get shift paddles? I'm not asking because I want to flog the car like a sports car, but I live in Colorado and head up and down the mountains a lot and am always downshifting for engine braking on long downhills and so I flip up and down the gears far more than flatlanders. A car with sporty pretensions really should have them, and I would like them as a convenience factor.

Any word on whether they might show up?

Probably not considering the CX-9 is not even offered in Japan. Point being CX-5 is available in Japan and their optional accessories list has paddle shifters.

Short of redesigning the body style for more cargo space, the improvements I'd like to see would be:

• A rack system that allows the cross bars to be further apart (just in case I ever want to carry something on the roof that's more than five feet long)
• More intuitive automatic headlight and wiper switches
• Radar Cruise Control that works in stop and go freeway traffic (as Mazda offers in other countries)
• Radar Cruise Control that defaults to the posted speed limit (or a set amount over)
•*Lane Keep Assist that helps keep the car in the center of the lane (as opposed to caroming off the sides of the lane)
• A logical place to put a cell phone or tablet with full-power USB chargers
• Seamless phone integration (including choice to use Waze or Google Maps for navigation)
• Overhead camera view
• Automatic parking (if not too expensive to implement)
• Non-defeatable four wheel drive :)

I saw a CX-7 yesterday that had smoke light covers and some of the trim blacked out. Looked really good and it took me a moment to figure out whether it was a new Audi or a new Porsche.

The Audi Q7 has all of the features above, standard on most trim levels, heck the 4 cyl Q7 performance is even better. Just sayin.

The Audi Q7 has all of the features above, standard on most trim levels, heck the 4 cyl Q7 performance is even better. Just sayin.

Granting...however thousands and thousands of dollars more than the CX9 too... just saying!

Back