Just received New 2018 CX-9 Info from Dealer

jmonkie

:
17 Mazda6 GT
I have been on the fence between pulling the trigger on a 17 cx9 or waiting for a 18 cx9. This morning my salesperson called me with the reported changes for the 18 model.
Here is the breakdown. Unfortunately no mention of Android Auto or Apple Carplay

New for Sport
SCBS
BSM
RCTA
GVC

Sport Package
Auto On-off H/L
High Beam Control
LKA / LDW
MRCC
Rain Sensing Wipers
Smart Brake Support

New for Touring
Front Driver seat adds tilt function
Power Passenger seats (Lift and lumbar)

Touring Premium Package
Adds Front Parking Sensor

GT
Traffic Sign Recognition
2nd Row Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Windshield De-Icer.

Signature
No Change

I have been on the fence between pulling the trigger on a 17 cx9 or waiting for a 18 cx9. This morning my salesperson called me with the reported changes for the 18 model.
Here is the breakdown. Unfortunately no mention of Android Auto or Apple Carplay

New for Sport
SCBS
BSM
RCTA
GVC

Sport Package
Auto On-off H/L
High Beam Control
LKA / LDW
MRCC
Rain Sensing Wipers
Smart Brake Support

New for Touring
Front Driver seat adds tilt function
Power Passenger seats (Lift and lumbar)

Touring Premium Package
Adds Front Parking Sensor

GT
Traffic Sign Recognition
2nd Row Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Windshield De-Icer.

Signature
No Change

Thanks for the info, I've been anxiously awaiting to hear what the changes would be.

Hopefully this is accurate as it is some good news, particularly the added seat adjustments, heated 2nd row, and heated wheel. I was really hoping for ventilated seats but oh well. One has to wonder if there will be an unadvertised improvement in the AC system. No sense in losing sales over something that wouldn't be that difficult to beef up. It will cost them more not to upgrade it.

Thankfully my kids don't frequent the forums they would be upset we didn't wait for the '18's heated rear seats (mom's TDi Touareg had them). And no ventilated fronts so no loss there.

Signature doesn't get all the good stuff that GT is getting? wished my 2017 signature had those options already lol.

The only thing I wish I had was the front parking sensor, ...but I couldn't wait. C'est la vie. By the time I replace this car, it will be standard on all cars, similar to the ubiquity of backup cameras.

Signature doesn't get all the good stuff that GT is getting? wished my 2017 signature had those options already lol.

They mean nothing new in addition to what the GT gets. Just as they don't relist all the new features Touring gets under GT which also gets those things. So the Signature will get everything new listed for all trims with the only difference between the GT being the current differences (nappa leather, wood, grill lighting, etc..). One thing I expected new with the Sig was added interior leather color options, at least black since not everyone wants auburn. I have a feeling this may still be an unlisted new option.

Looks like the upcoming improvements are minimal. Guess it is not worth the wait or the higher new model pricing. In my area, starting to see great deals on a 2017 GT AWD CX9.

Short of redesigning the body style for more cargo space, the improvements I'd like to see would be:

• A rack system that allows the cross bars to be further apart (just in case I ever want to carry something on the roof that's more than five feet long)
• More intuitive automatic headlight and wiper switches
• Radar Cruise Control that works in stop and go freeway traffic (as Mazda offers in other countries)
• Radar Cruise Control that defaults to the posted speed limit (or a set amount over)
•*Lane Keep Assist that helps keep the car in the center of the lane (as opposed to caroming off the sides of the lane)
• A logical place to put a cell phone or tablet with full-power USB chargers
• Seamless phone integration (including choice to use Waze or Google Maps for navigation)
• Overhead camera view
• Automatic parking (if not too expensive to implement)
• Non-defeatable four wheel drive :)

I saw a CX-7 yesterday that had smoke light covers and some of the trim blacked out. Looked really good and it took me a moment to figure out whether it was a new Audi or a new Porsche.

Really? These a big improvements!

More adjustable seats should be good. But, when I test drove, the seats were absolutely OK to me as is. Traffic Sign recognition is nice, though can live without it. Rest of the 3 features could be helpful to people living places where they have extreme winters.

<strike>As Koert said, they should have increased the cargo space a bit. Just an extra 10 cft could make it more practical and comparable to Santa Fes. </strike>

Some of the other features, I wish for:

Remote start in the key fob(Like Explorers and Pacificas) or altleast make the current phone based remote start more easy to use.
Stop and go radar cruise control (2017 CX 5 already has it)
Brake hold (CX5 has electrnoic parking break, plus another brake hold to us in red lights)
Android Auto (They can even defer carplay, if that is more complex to implement)
<strike>Flat floor in second row.</strike>
Cell phone holder.

Last edited:
Some of these changes you're looking for will have to wait until at least 2022 when Mazda redesigns it. You can't ask for more cargo space unless they deleted the 3rd row seats. Flat floor means the outboard seats will have a higher floor which means having your knees up.

Drove by the Mazda Technical Center today in Irvine. Had a couple of 2018 CX9 Signature with extra chrome valance front and rear. Dont know if it will be an option or standard. 20170723_152655.jpg20170723_152723.jpg

Last edited:
This was at Mazda Corporate tech center, not at a dealer. Cars did not have window stickers. Look at Mazda pickup.

Attachments

• 20170723_152829.jpg
    20170723_152829.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 767
  • 20170723_152801.jpg
    20170723_152801.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 682
Some of these changes you're looking for will have to wait until at least 2022 when Mazda redesigns it. You can't ask for more cargo space unless they deleted the 3rd row seats. Flat floor means the outboard seats will have a higher floor which means having your knees up.
Agreed. Asking too much. In one youtube review, they complained about hump in the middle seat. That is how I got the flat floor idea into my mind:). Will strike out those two from my wish list.

So, JPL, are you going to wait for 2018? One of my area dealers, had given an extreme low quote on a 2017 MG CX-9 GT AWD (2.5k less than already low true car price, including the loyalty bonus). Kind of tempting.

Last edited:
This was at Mazda Corporate tech center, not at a dealer. Cars did not have window stickers. Look at Mazda pickup.

Oh, sorry. After looking at the images I forgot that you mentioned the where you saw it.

So this is interesting. I don't mine the look. They needed something to distinguish the exterior from the '16, '17's without actually redesigning something.

So, JPL, are you going to wait for 2018? One of my area dealers, had given an extreme low quote on a 2017 MG CX-9 GT AWD (2.5k less than already low true car price, including the loyalty bonus). Kind of tempting.

I was waiting for fall anyway, and I do like the changes listed. I also haven't made my final decision vs Highlander. I love both of them and there is no other contender. I don't have a Mazda so no loyalty bonus.

I debated Highlander vs CX-9 for a while, but after driving both, CX-9 was clearly the car I wanted for a daily driver and met my needs/wants.
I've had lots of Toyotas, and they are good cars, but this time around I went Mazda. Resale is not a concern, as I keep cars a long time.
Reliability I think is a wash, although I get a feeling Toyota has gone toward cheaper parts (esp shocks/struts) that are "engineered for short life span"

Time will tell...in the meantime, zoom zoom.

Back