New General Tires, Car Sways

DpavlikCX5

:
Mazda CX5 2016
Hey Guys,

First post here. I have a 2016 Mazda CX5. I just put new General Altimax RT43 tires (H rating) on the CX5. Now, my car swerves back and forth pretty severely, but only when driving on sections of the road/highway with the grooves cut into the pavement. On all other surfaces, everything seems to be fine.

What is going on here? Please help, because it is very scary when driving on those sections of the road. So much so that I've had to pull over to check the tires to make sure everything is ok.

Thanks,
Dave

Go back to the tire installer and have them figure out what's wrong. This is dangerous, and something is not right.

I have a 2016 Mazda CX5. I just put new General Altimax RT43 tires (H rating) on the CX5. Now, my car swerves back and forth pretty severely, but only when driving on sections of the road/highway with the grooves cut into the pavement. On all other surfaces, everything seems to be fine.
Do you have CX-5 Touring / Sport or GT? Or do you have 17" or 19" tires? Have you experienced the same with your previous OE tires while driving on the exact same road surface? Have you checked tire pressure and they're 34 psi on 17" or 36" psi on 19" when cold?

Where did you get your General AltiMax RT43 tires? Tire stores like Discount Tire they offer 30-day satisfactory guarantee in worst scenario you can get different tires and try again.

I had that happen once when I accidentally bought some toyo "plus" or something. I ended up changing them out and going back to the higher performance tire (proxess stII v rated). Also if you have a GT the oem tire is a v rated so a H rated tire should to be less stiff than the oem. But then again an h rating from toyo may not be the same ride as an h rating from dunflop..Need more information about your trim

Last edited:
Did you get a wheel alignment done when the new tyres were fitted? Always a good idea.

I agree with others - take it back to whoever you got the tyres from, get them to check everything in the front suspension including the wheel alignment, and if it still does it, get different tyres.

Some tread types do not work well on the grooved roads. The tread pattern will make the car pull from side to side.

Likely a slight alignment problem. Some tread types have a tendency to track/follow the lines more than others. Did your old tires wear evenly? If you got it aligned with the new tires they might have not done a good job...

Thanks paris1. I surveyed owners of Altimax R43 users and found no complaints until today. Ed

Thanks paris1. I surveyed owners of Altimax R43 users and found no complaints until today. Ed

Like all replacement tires, they need a few hundred miles to "bed in", after which they'll feel better. One thing I did notice (and can't really explain) is that my computer display mpg dropped about 1.5 mpg since installing them. Doesn't really concern me as the mileage from my 2.0 was always exemplary at 30 mpg and now it's "only" 28.5 (city average). But it is curious. See if yours does something similar. Makes me wonder if the Yokohamas were truly low rolling resistance tires and these aren't.

Some mpg reduction is due to the thicker tread on new tires vs. little tread on old tires. A lot of people talk about new car getting better mpg after wear in but I think some of it comes from tire tread wearing thinner...

Some mpg reduction is due to the thicker tread on new tires vs. little tread on old tires. A lot of people talk about new car getting better mpg after wear in but I think some of it comes from tire tread wearing thinner...

Maybe, but my car got a consistent 30 mpg average from day one for 30k+ miles on the Yokohamas and immediately dropped to 28.5 on the Generals and hasn't moved from that since.

Are you sure you're running the correct tire size from the OEM tires that came from the car?

Back