Thoughts on my recent purchase of a 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring

photo_smith

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Hello all. I just purchased a new to me 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring with 77000 miles. I have some thoughts about the vehicle and would love some input.

The car is back to the dealer after one day with some issues so I'm feeling a little anxious.

First of all, I ejected the Nav DVD and now it will not go back in. The drive keeps ejecting it.

Second, the front driver's side speaker is dead. There are no high or mid tones. Only muffled bass.

Lastly, the door over the cupholder is stuck shut and since that is really the only storage space in the front of the cabin, that's a bummer.

I'm hoping these things get worked out but I also hope this doesn't foretell more quirks around the corner.

Here are some observations after driving the car for a day and a half.

PROS:

I love the luxury and comfort and the elegant. simple layout of the cockpit.
The V6 accelerates smoothly and feels powerful.
The ride and handling is nice.
All of the bells and whistles make driving it fun.

CONS:

The BOSE stereo is lousy. It clips high end and mid tones. Unless my whole system is messed up. This is crazy for the top end package of a car like this.

The car is noisy. Lots of squeaks and rattles. I have an incessant buzzing in the passenger door that I'll have to pinpoint. The wind noise is also frustrating at high speeds.

I am still baffled by the fact that when I pair my iPhone via Bluetooth, song names don't show up. I understand that there is a compatibility issue but that's really no excuse. Can Mazda not offer a software or firmware upgrade? It is really short sighted to think that we only keep a car for a year like we do our phones. The car should keep up with the technology.

I'd love some feedback or input. Right now, I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse about this. I know that to some degree, some of this is to be expected for a car of this age but I had 2004 Honda Accord with 170000 miles and didn't have any of these issues so it's not a foregone conclusion that cars this old have to have issues.

We have a 2016 CX-5 and love it so we thought we'd give Mazda another shot. So far, we're 1 for 2.

The 2012 CX-9 is as much of a Ford as it is a Mazda. BOSE stereo's are lousy. No question there.

What can the dealer do about the bluetooth firmware? They should be able to get you an update.

I have a 2010 cx 9 grand touring. Do you have awd? If so search the forum for various problems with the transfer case and water pump failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2012 CX-9 is as much of a Ford as it is a Mazda. BOSE stereo's are lousy. No question there.

What can the dealer do about the bluetooth firmware? They should be able to get you an update.

There is a firmware update? Do you know the cost associated with this? I would love to know more. I spent some time trying searching this before I came to this site And found nothing. I assumed I was out of luck.

I do have AWD. That doesn't sound promising at all. I'll start searching. It's funny because I am normally very thorough about my research. But I was so weary of the used car search that when the vehicle showed up, I just went for it because of our previous Mazda experience.

There is a firmware update? Do you know the cost associated with this? I would love to know more. I spent some time trying searching this before I came to this site And found nothing. I assumed I was out of luck.

I would check with a local dealer. Should not be too much.

First of all, thanks everyone for the input thus far. It's been very helpful.

I called the dealer and they told me they don't know of a firmware update which is crazy and a bummer. They also told me about the extended warranty for the transfer case which I am within so I'll watch it carefully.

Also, For Sale: beautiful black 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring with 77000 miles. Just kidding.

The new Mazda's are built much better. I normally upgrade the speakers in all my cars and add a small sub with amp where needed. The non-Bose system in my CX-9 is so awesome that I'm not touching it.

My wife's 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring with the Bose system is crazy good. I'd say yours is just outdated. I'm sure both of my Mazda stereo's won't sound this good in 5 years.

Hopefully they will fix all your issues. Like mentioned the Ford years.

I do have AWD. That doesn't sound promising at all. I'll start searching. It's funny because I am normally very thorough about my research. But I was so weary of the used car search that when the vehicle showed up, I just went for it because of our previous Mazda experience.

That's what happened to me. I didn't find this forum until after I owned my cx 9 for a while.

If I would have known about the transfer case problem within the 2000 mile warranty from the dealer I would have returned the it. But now I do the fluid changes and I don't feel so bad about it. My wife loves the thing so I am stuck with it for a while.

If the water pump hasn't been replaced, be VERY diligent in monitoring coolant levels and oil color. Pop that hood at every fill-up and watch it. Searches here will tell you why.

Given the stereo issues, it sounds like someone abused the system. While I agree the Bose is no audiophile's dream, it only takes a fool with a taste for hearing loss to fry the tweeters.

If the wind noise is more than your CX-5 (I have a 2014) then that is very wrong and you should check seals. It may be that it was in an accident that killed the speaker and left the door misaligned. That's quite a wild theory, but...

Get those tranny and TC case fluids changed (not flushed) ASAP. Again, more searches here for rationale.

Welcome to the CX-9 club as well as the dual Mazda owners club.

Update

I have an update.

The car was in service for about a week and a half to look at the Nav and the speakers. The dealer came back with an offer to trade me out of the vehicle if I buy something else on their lot.

Should I take this offer and walk away from this car and it's potential and existing problems? The problem is, they can't make me totally whole. I am out my down payment and have to buy a more expensive car since they don't have a huge selection in my price range.

I'm feeling like I should walk away from this car though.

I had originally planned on it. My only other option, I guess, is to keep it for year and then try to sell it. It's hard to predict the depreciation though. This car seemed like a good deal when I bought it because it was cheaper than many other third row SUV's on the market but now I know why.

I'll probably walk away and take my lumps. Looks like a Toyota Highlander in my future.

I would walk away if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

I had a 2011 CX9 GT before I traded it in for a 2017 CX9 GT... I had 62K miles, and mostly troublefree. You're experiencing the wear and tear of a vehicle after 77K miles... if they give you what you paid for it, then take it and get a 2017/2018.

Back