CX5-Lost item inside vent

dylan2872

:
Mazda, CX5, Touring
So I have a 2016 CX-5, on the ride home from work my wedding ring came off and bounced around the front dash then disappeared. :( After I got home and inspected I realized it fell down one of the vents at the base of the front windshield on the dash. My question is am I in big trouble? Should the dealer be able to get it out if I take it in or could something in there fall though the car and out the bottom? Its an awkward angle and shining a light down I really couldnt see anything. Just looking for any info as I prepare to inform the wife. Thank you.

I don't want to be you. I lost a couple of LED interior lights there when I was installing them. (I'd set them on top of the instruction sheet on the dash, when a breeze came up and dumped them into the vents, just as you describe.) I thought about ways to get them, but gave up and the supplier sent replacements. My LED replacements were free, but you're ring is a different story.

I don't want to be you. I lost a couple of LED interior lights there when I was installing them. (I'd set them on top of the instruction sheet on the dash, when a breeze came up and dumped them into the vents, just as you describe.) I thought about ways to get them, but gave up and the supplier sent replacements. My LED replacements were free, but you're ring is a different story.

So you just left them and it doesn't rattle, or they fall out eventually, somewhere (if they can)...

Duct work are sealed up so it won't fall through to somewhere under the dash.

Unfortunately, you can't fish a magnet on a string down there. One suggestion would be to pull the Cabin filter to see if it made to that point.

Other option could be to unbend a wire clothes hanger with a small loop with some duct tape wrapped around and stick it down to see if you can get the ring to stick to it.

Last edited:
Chances are a magnet would be no help on a wedding ring

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chances are a magnet would be no help on a wedding ring

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yep, and that's why I would spend the $5 and try the tool I linked after I looked in the cabin filter area. Definitely worth the chance before telling the ole lady...

SI7FXhg.png

I’ve just looked at the parts catalog and that vent funnels to the middle of the car. You might get lucky with a grabbing tool but it looks like either the dash out or the windshield out to stand a decent chance.

Duct work are sealed up so it won't fall through to somewhere under the dash.

Unfortunately, you can't fish a magnet on a string down there. One suggestion would be to pull the Cabin filter to see if it made to that point.

Jesus, that hairy arm! Primate much? :)

So I have a 2016 CX-5, on the ride home from work my wedding ring came off and bounced around the front dash then disappeared. :( After I got home and inspected I realized it fell down one of the vents at the base of the front windshield on the dash. My question is am I in big trouble? Should the dealer be able to get it out if I take it in or could something in there fall though the car and out the bottom? Its an awkward angle and shining a light down I really couldnt see anything. Just looking for any info as I prepare to inform the wife. Thank you.

Good luck with that!

Sorry, I have to ask. How does one's ring just 'come off' and bounce around the dash? Once you get it back you might want to consider having that ring resized.

Right? Putting it back on after visiting the mistress?

LOL@Primate much?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The cabin filter is on the inlet to the heater. The window vents are on the output side. There are radiators, directional doors and a fan in-between. Dont waste your time taking the cabin filter out.

Don't waste any time getting to the dealer would be my advice. Do not pass go. Do not tell wife.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So yeah when I got married I was quite a bit heavier so its been loose for years. Wife nagged to get it resized so that doesnt help. Basically I got cut off, banged my hand on the steering when and off it went. I felt like the curb your enthusiasm music should have been playing. Did take off the air filter for grins since it was so easy no dice. A coworker has some wormlike camera with a light we are going to try. Thanks for the replies all.

Last edited:
So yeah when I got married I was quite a bit heavier so its been loose for years. Wife nagged to get it resized so that doesnt help. Basically I got cut off, banged my hand on the steering when and off it went. I felt like the curb your enthusiasm music should have been playing. Did take off the air filter for grins since it was so easy no dice. A coworker has some wormlike camera with a light we are going to try. Thanks for the replies all.

lol. Where's Richard Lewis when you need him

Just left them. They don't rattle. I don't think that there's any place for them to fall out. (Unless, I somehow rolled my CX-5, in which case getting these LEDs back would be very small consolation.)

Last edited:
Like Anchorman said, your ring is somewhere at output side of heater core and AC evaporator, most likely sitting at the bottom of the air duct body and it won't fall out of the system. The worst scenario is you have to take out air duct main body which is going to cost you!

The cabin filter is on the inlet to the heater. The window vents are on the output side. There are radiators, directional doors and a fan in-between. Dont waste your time taking the cabin filter out.

Yeah using a snake camera with light and see if you can see it. But even if you can see it getting it out without taking the duct body out is still a big challenge. Keep us posted and good luck!

81h45U7HH3L._SY355_.jpg

Should hire the thief that broke into my wife's car. He broke out the tiny triangle window in the rear door and snaked a tool in to pull the lock on the driver's door.

Like Anchorman said, your ring is somewhere at output side of heater core and AC evaporator, most likely sitting at the bottom of the air duct body and it won't fall out of the system. The worst scenario is you have to take out air duct main body which is going to cost you!

Yeah using a snake camera with light and see if you can see it. But even if you can see it getting it out without taking the duct body out is still a big challenge. Keep us posted and good luck!

81h45U7HH3L._SY355_.jpg

First attempt at the snake camera didnt work but car currently outside and its very bright and freaking hot. Going to try again tonight in the garage. Looking at some diagrams I found I am hoping it might be sitting at the airflow mode door under those vents. I am assuming that door would be closed unless I decided to turn on the dash air? Havent done that since winter.

Back