Steering Wheel Shake when MRCC Brings Car to a Full Stop in Traffic

PVQ

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD w Premium, Soul Red Crystal
I used the MRCC in bumper to bumper traffic on the Garden State Parkway in NJ last night. It was the first time Ive ever used it for such a purpose and it works splendidly, it most assuradly makes BTB delays much more tolerable. I noticed that on several stretches of roadway, I got considerable shaking in the steering wheel before the vehicle came to a complete stop. It did not happen when manually applying the brakes. As I type this I am wondering if perhaps I came too close to the lines in the roadway, but I don't recall seeing the warning in the HUD. Just wondering if anyone else had similar observations in similar circumstances?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'd say its lane keep assist but afaik may not provide a large warning in HUD unlike SCBS/SBS that says BRAKE in large letters

I have noticed this as well, but I would call it a mild shake/vibration. It occurs at very low speeds, about 2 to 0 mph. I have noticed the same thing when manually applying the brakes, but less often, and even milder. It definitely is not the lane keep assist, but seems like some strange light oscillation in the electric steering assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have noticed this as well, but I would call it a mild shake/vibration. It occurs at very low speeds, about 2 to 0 mph. I have noticed the same thing when manually applying the brakes, but less often, and even milder. It definitely is not the lane keep assist, but seems like some strange light oscillation in the electric steering assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've noticed the same. Seems normal to me.

Thank you for the replies. Mild shake or vibration nails it as far as the description and only at very low speed. Ive not noticed it when manually applying the brakes. I don't necessarily view it as a problem...just wanted to make sure mine wasn't the ONLY vehicle exhibiting this behavior.

So this vibration is normal with MRCC (scratch). Seems a bit wrong to me.

The few times I've used the MRCC in stop and go traffic I did notice the mild steering wheel shudder when it comes to complete stop. As MKF242 mentioned, it's usually from 2 to 0 mph. Similar to PVQ, I don't feel the same behavior when manually braking. I'm still trying to get used to trusting the system to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

So noticed it yesterday after I came to stop without hands on wheel. It's VERY mild and it must have barely registered while my hands were on the wheel.
Looks like a feature I guess.

Would emailing mazda directly yield an explanation?

Just sent this to Mazda. I will advise when I receive a response:

I use the Mazda Radar Cruise Control in bumper to bumper traffic. I noticed that there is some vibration in the steering wheel before the vehicle comes to a complete stop, between 2 MPH and Zero MPH. I posted this on some forums and other owners report similar experience. There is no steering wheel vibration when manually applying the brakes. Can you please advise as to whether or not this is normal? Thank you in advance for your reply.

I dont think its a defect either. I thinks its a result of the car's "brain" bringing the car to a smooth stop. Its likely feathering the brake pedal more lightly than a human is capable of and therefore accentuating some of the slight irregularities in the brake pads/rotors that would otherwise be imperceptable with the increased pressure of manually engaging the brakes....but I'd like to hear that from an actual automotive engineer.

I dont think its a defect either. I thinks its a result of the car's "brain" bringing the car to a smooth stop. Its likely feathering the brake pedal more lightly than a human is capable of and therefore accentuating some of the slight irregularities in the brake pads/rotors that would otherwise be imperceptable with the increased pressure of manually engaging the brakes....but I'd like to hear that from an actual automotive engineer.
Ask that Coleman dude in the CX-5 clips

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just recieved a response from Mazda which I am appending below. I'm not bothering to bring it it...I'm sure its normal based on what others have reported. I will send this thread to customer service for their situational awareness:

Thank you for being a part of the Mazda family. We’re happy to hear from you! I’m so sorry for the delay in response to your e-mail.

I was hoping you could share more details regarding the vibrations that are felt through the steering wheel. Are the vibrations, for example, subtle, hard, sudden, jolting, sporadic, or rhythmic? Your vehicle is very new and I don’t have information in my archives that speak directly to your concern.

My suggestion would be for your vehicle to be inspected by a local dealership. A Service Technician can drive with you under the conditions that you mentioned and they will be able to see whether what you are experiencing is normal or not.

Based on your recorded address, your closest dealer is ISLAND MAZDA. With your authorization, I can request that their Service Department contact you to schedule an appointment. If you prefer to contact them yourself, their information is the following:

1580 HYLAN BOULEVARD
STATEN ISLAND, NY 10305

718-697-6900

Please let me know how to proceed and I will be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We’re happy to have you as part of the Mazda family. If there is anything else that I can assist you with at this time, please reach out to me directly and I’ll be happy to help.

Sincerely,
Efren E.
Representative, Customer Experience
Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1186
Monday – Friday, 6:30 AM – 3:30 PM PST

(SR Number: 1-680344751)

So maybe it's not so normal after all (scratch)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I notice the same effect on my 2017 AWD. It's very subtle -- I would not have noticed it were I not watching for it after reading this thread.

I'm no mechanic or engineer, but I'm inclined to believe it's expected behaviour due to how this feature was implemented.

Interesting, I only noticed because of this thread.

Wondering if it's to alert the driver somehow since it's only happening when coming to a full stop? It seems very intentional, but that's just a wild guess!

If it's happening to lots of drivers/owners then it must be normal.

Back