Oil for the 2017

where did you get those numbers?
The 2017 manual here https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/manuals-and-guides/2017/cx-5/2017-cx-5-owners-manual.pdf
lists 4.8 US Qt for oil+filter replacement for the 2.5

EDIT: nevermind.. I see what you did but I think you are mistaken in thinking that draining the engine for 3 hours somehow results in more than 4.8 US qt. coming out.

We'll just have to agree to disagree(drinks). All I know is that it took almost 5.5 quarts to get to the top of the fill line and the engine holds 5.8 quarts of oil when dry. And I didn't drain on a lift or flat surface, but on ramps, so the engine is angled to drain toward the plug. I know others have mentioned needing more than 5 quarts as well, so this is not new, I don't think. I'll measure next oil change in about 3.5 months.

Well, it was bugging me, so I went out and poured the drained oil from the drain pan back into the 5 individual quart bottles up to the 32 ounce line. Still close to 1/2 quart in the drain pan. So I was able to get close to 5.5 quarts out. I do check my oil regularly and keep it topped off, so I know it was full before changing. Engine was also hot.

We'll just have to agree to disagree(drinks). All I know is that it took almost 5.5 quarts to get to the top of the fill line and the engine holds 5.8 quarts of oil when dry. And I didn't drain on a lift or flat surface, but on ramps, so the engine is angled to drain toward the plug. I know others have mentioned needing more than 5 quarts as well, so this is not new, I don't think. I'll measure next oil change in about 3.5 months.
Yep it's been reported many times that the oil change for 2.5L SA-G required 5.2~5.3 quarts of fresh oil to bring the oil level to the "Full" mark if you drain the oil properly. 5.5 quarts is the most we've seen. Most people pour in 5 quarts and keep the oil level at ⅔ between "Add" and "Full" marks and call it a day.

This's the first time I've experienced that the spec on oil change capacity is inaccurate, and off by as much as 10% at least! Engine oil change capacity is not alone as the capacity of rear differential gear lubricant is also proven wrong. For 2016 CX-5 the spec is 0.48 quarts (0.37 quarts for 2017) but the real capacity is at about 0.75 quarts!

For this I began to wonder what else based on how sloppy the document is produced by Mazda!

I'm guessing that if the person changing the oil takes the plug out, waits a few minutes until it stops streaming, puts the plug back in, which is what a typical oil change shop is going to do, 4.8 quarts would fill it up. Documentation is probably not geared toward a 3 hour drain period.

Well, it was bugging me, so I went out and poured the drained oil from the drain pan back into the 5 individual quart bottles up to the 32 ounce line. Still close to 1/2 quart in the drain pan. So I was able to get close to 5.5 quarts out. I do check my oil regularly and keep it topped off, so I know it was full before changing. Engine was also hot.
Now I know why you got the most oil out with 5.5 quarts. Most CX-5 owners including me keep the oil lever at about ⅔ between "Add" and "Full" marks on the dipstick. Since you topped off oil frequently and oil level was at Full mark when you drained your oil, hence you got 5.5 quarts, more than everybody else! :)

Keeping oil level not at Full mark has become a new habit for me. Each time I topped it off with Mazda moly oil, it seems to burn those added oil out fast and bring the oil level down to ⅔ between "Add" and "Full" marks again! (uhm)

I'm guessing that if the person changing the oil takes the plug out, waits a few minutes until it stops streaming, puts the plug back in, which is what a typical oil change shop is going to do, 4.8 quarts would fill it up. Documentation is probably not geared toward a 3 hour drain period.
No, doing this way, 5 quarts of fresh oil still won't bring the oil level to Full!

Now I know why you got the most oil out with 5.5 quarts. Most CX-5 owners including me keep the oil lever at about ⅔ between "Add" and "Full" marks on the dipstick. Since you topped off oil frequently and oil level was at Full mark when you drained your oil, hence you got 5.5 quarts, more than everybody else! :)

Keeping oil level not at Full mark has become a new habit for me. Each time I topped it off with Mazda moly oil, it seems to burn those added oil out fast and bring the oil level down to ⅔ between "Add" and "Full" marks again! (uhm)

How does that explain why it took almost 5.5 quarts to fill and for some people it only takes 4.8 to fill?

How does that explain why it took almost 5.5 quarts to fill and for some people it only takes 4.8 to fill?
The fact of matter is nobody can make the oil level to Full mark with 4.8 quarts for an oil change no matter how fast you drain the oil. I know my dealer fill with 5 quarts but can't never bring the oil level to Full mark. I had the same doubt like you when I changed oil the first time on my CX-5. Now 3 time of DIY oil changes I fully accept it's a fact and the specs in owner's manual and service manual are incorrect.

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Please keep in mind Mazda changed the terminology they use in the Owners Manual between '16 and '17. The '16 manual calls the holes in the dipstick "Low" and "Full" but the '17 manual calls the same holes "MIN" and "MAX". I think it is an important difference (and what they probably meant in the first place, but that's another debate). If you consider the MIN and MAX nomenclature, it means that with a 4.8 qt. fill-up you're a little over half way between min and max. Works for me. YMMV

Since it is safe to run my engine when oil is between Min & Max, I put a 5 quart jug in and call it good. That puts the oil level at about 3/4 up from Min. I think the manual says approximately on the fill amount. Why all this agonizing over nothing? ed

Please keep in mind Mazda changed the terminology they use in the Owners Manual between '16 and '17. The '16 manual calls the holes in the dipstick "Low" and "Full" but the '17 manual calls the same holes "MIN" and "MAX". I think it is an important difference (and what they probably meant in the first place, but that's another debate). If you consider the MIN and MAX nomenclature, it means that with a 4.8 qt. fill-up you're a little over half way between min and max. Works for me. YMMV

That makes perfect sense and you are probably right. But I put 4.5 quarts in mine and then started it up and lowered off the ramps. Shut off the engine and waited about 10 minutes and when I checked the oil level it was barely on the stick. Added another half quart and showed in lower third of hash. Another half quart and it was at top of hash. I honestly think I drained off another 1/2 quart just letting it sit for 3 hours. I will measure how much drips out next time I change it. Either way, it doesn't really matter as long as you check your oil level from time to time. I don't think removing an extra half quart of dirty oil is going to make a difference.

Since it is safe to run my engine when oil is between Min & Max, I put a 5 quart jug in and call it good. That puts the oil level at about 3/4 up from Min. I think the manual says approximately on the fill amount. Why all this agonizing over nothing? ed

I agree. I just mentioned that it took 5.5 to fill it up and was questioned why I didn't just use 4.8 like the manual says. But the manual also says a dry engine will hold 5.8. Anyways..

So this's another example among other things trying to be DIFFERENT from everybody else? (whistle)

If Mazda believes having 4.8 quarts bis the proper oil level, why can Mazda just use that level fo77jr the "FULL" or "MAX" mark on the dipstick like everybody else? Why Mazda created a different definition of "FULL" or "MAX" mark trying to confuse people who've got used to the way we interpret it for so many years? Further, why the owner's manual is still suggesting to add oil to "FULL" or "MAX" mark when the oil level is low?

Pull it out again and examine the levjel. The level is normal if it is between the MIN and MAX marks.
If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX.

In addition, if Mazda wants to redefine the meaning of fluid change capacity, why the rear differential gear oil requires 50% more than specified 0.48 quarts for 2016 AWD? If we say, like engine oil level settling in between Max and Min, and we can sqeeze in specified 0.48 quarts of gear oil keeping the fluid level way below the filler hole, then why for the front transfer case we fill specified 0.48 quarts and the oil level is right on the filler hole? It's this inconsistency on the specs from Mazda I really don't like. And I have never seen such sloppy job with inconsistency on specifications in owner's manual and service manual from many vehicles I've owned.

Back