CX-9 has won virtually every comparison test

How do people drive? For me the vast majority is either in bumper to bumper city street congestion, or going dead straight at cruise mph on the hwy? And thats if you're lucky, otherwise its congestion on both.. Does driving matter under these conditions?

Time to move.

People who compare spec by spec with another brand will not buy a Mazda. So as those who think "Bigger vehicle is Better" and ones that take pride on owning an Audi or BMW. Also, value buyers who want a cheap, fairly reliable car will not choose a Mazda. People who buy, believe Mazda's "Driving Matters" vision and want an unique vehicle. I wish Mazda to succeed with their sales numbers, but without compromising the "Driving Matters" value. Mazda's Fan base is amazing and that will help them sell more in the future.

^^^ This. It takes a while. Sometimes companies in the niche (see Subaru), or take years (see Honda, Toyotas in the 70's to the 90's).

^^^ This. It takes a while. Sometimes companies in the niche (see Subaru), or take years (see Honda, Toyotas in the 70's to the 90's).

I wouldn't call subaru a niche company. Their sales are driven by where the do business. Where it snows, their market share is way over that it should be for a company that sells 600,000 units annually.

What they did do was bet on their AWD and offer everything with it and it's paid off.

I wouldn't call subaru a niche company. Their sales are driven by where the do business. Where it snows, their market share is way over that it should be for a company that sells 600,000 units annually.

What they did do was bet on their AWD and offer everything with it and it's paid off.

They had a great advertising campaign that emphasized the safety and longevity of their cars as well as their link with the outdoors. They marketed to the baby boomers and to the millennials at the same time, which is brilliant.

Honestly, Mazda needs to hire another marketing firm or do something drastic that brings people to the brand.

I think you might be right. The Toyota Highlander is a terrible driving car as is the Nissan Rouge, but both greatly outsell their Mazda competition.

Have to disagree on the (current gen) Highlander being a terrible driving car. Its no CX9 but its also a good deal more spacious (what many look for in this segment), quicker off the line and has significantly better resale value...Hey I'm pulling for Mazda as much as anybody and agree that beefing up the warranty (which I've predicted they may do w/diesel's intro) is something they can and should certainly do to bolster their image and grab some eyeballs. Once we swapped tires to something less gushy on wife's vs OEM the handling improved substantially and the Toyota's brakes have more than held their own imo. That being said I think we can downsize slightly next time and will encourage the 9er..she does like her Toyota though and this a lifetime Honda owning stick driver. Previous gen Pilot turned her away- now that thing drove like crap.

Last edited:
I didn't intend that "niche" in a "small/limited/not good" way - it's just reflection of scale, size, and focus.
See: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01/usa-2016-auto-brand-sales-results-rankings.html

Interestingly, from 2016 to 2017, the CX-9 sales grew at a higher percentage than their competition, which is a good sign.

I agree they need a better marketing company. I'm surprised, time and time again, how they pick agencies that just don't "get it" (although many of their printed stories are great, but buried deep in web pages that no one gets to read. Completely missing social media/modern.

You have to wonder why the driving angle always worked so well for BMW. Was always less luxurious than Mercedes and Lexus, much less reliable than Lexus, but holds its own in sales because it's the Ultimate Driving Machine. Mazda is the mainstream version of BMW, although and even more reliable, yet it doesn't sell on those merits in the way BMW does.

They built the brand (pretty legitimately) on that tagline, probably still sell quite a few cars to well off dopes that still believe it (or more likely want to) but its basically a pile of crap now with very few exceptions- they build decent driving over-engineered, overpriced luxury cars. Sound bitter? As a 2 timer I can say (short of an M2 arriving via stork) when I return the E84 I'm done w/BMW.

Have to disagree on the (current gen) Highlander being a terrible driving car. Its no CX9 but its also a good deal more spacious (what many look for in this segment), quicker off the line and has significantly better resale value...Hey I'm pulling for Mazda as much as anybody and agree that beefing up the warranty (which I've predicted they may do w/diesel's intro) is something they can and should certainly do to bolster their image and grab some eyeballs. Once we swapped tires to something less gushy on wife's vs OEM the handling improved substantially and the Toyota's brakes have more than held their own imo. That being said I think we can downsize slightly next time and will encourage the 9er..she does like her Toyota though and this a lifetime Honda owning stick driver. Previous gen Pilot turned her away- now that thing drove like crap.

We were all ready to buy the Highlander but found the 3rd row to be even worse than the CX-9 (not even close to as spacious) and the SUV handled just like a truck. Not a fan at all. in the end, we went back to the minivan route, which is hard to beat for space...

Well yeah the 3rd row does kinda suck but we rarely use..cargo hold is a good bit bigger in HL.. Its not exactly tossable but with said tire swap is surprisingly capable and comfortable on long drives which are the bulk of my encounters with it. Vans crush mid size suvs for space but we need the awd..awd sienna exists i know..we don't need that kind of space..another kid then maybe we would..

I didn't intend that "niche" in a "small/limited/not good" way - it's just reflection of scale, size, and focus.
See: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01/usa-2016-auto-brand-sales-results-rankings.html

Interestingly, from 2016 to 2017, the CX-9 sales grew at a higher percentage than their competition, which is a good sign.

I agree they need a better marketing company. I'm surprised, time and time again, how they pick agencies that just don't "get it" (although many of their printed stories are great, but buried deep in web pages that no one gets to read. Completely missing social media/modern.

For selfish reasons I'd prefer Mazda to remain a smaller/niche company like Volvo and not be the giants like Toyota and Honda are. I've been the contrarian for quite some time and don't want to be driving the same vehicle on the road that you see every 5-10mins that are so common. Don't get me wrong I still want a safe and reliable vehicle and that's why I bought the CX9 as it ticked the boxes for me aside from having a nicer look and one of the best driving dynamics for a 3row CUV

After spending 10days in almost 3K km in a Hyundai Santa Fe XL Ltd I'm glad I actually purchased the CX9...no offense to Hyundai owners but that thing I drove didn't inspire confidence in my driving esp in curves and handled like a boat and brakes weren't as good. The engine was powerful and smooth but transmission wasnt as smooth as the 9. The ride was a bit on the harsh side and suspension was jarring and didnt handle bumps well aside from louder cabin noise and dated/cheap looking interior! Sure it sells a lot due to the value it offers (more features for the buck) and only features I liked over the 9 were the panoramic sunroof, ventilated seats and heated 2nd row.

Well yeah the 3rd row does kinda suck but we rarely use..cargo hold is a good bit bigger in HL.. Its not exactly tossable but with said tire swap is surprisingly capable and comfortable on long drives which are the bulk of my encounters with it. Vans crush mid size suvs for space but we need the awd..awd sienna exists i know..we don't need that kind of space..another kid then maybe we would..

Yeah, we are 5 and shuttling extra kids just is easier with a mini-van. The odyssey is a nice mini-van as well. Get 27 MPH on the highway with 5 people and cargo. Not bad in my book. We had a Sienna mini-van before this but the quality was not close to the Honda.

We run the 3rd row regularly in teh CX9 and it does fine. Even when we have 5, its usual preference to not have to sit elbow to elbow 3 across in the 2nd row.

We run the 3rd row regularly in teh CX9 and it does fine. Even when we have 5, its usual preference to not have to sit elbow to elbow 3 across in the 2nd row.

Lot of reviewers like to throw the usual criticism for the 3rd row. Then you look at two of the best selling 3 row crossovers - Highlander and Sorento, and they are tighter. One of the things that bother me most about the Highlander is that they aren't even full seat backs. They are 2/3rds a seat back with head rests that hit you in the back. Yet it manages to be #2 in sales and no one complains.

^^IDK the Toyota does a lot of things right(I converted her from somewhat blindly just going Honda down the line)- great motor, reliable, strong resale and can definitely hold more crap when 3rd row is not in use. We get 3 across in hella roomy 2nd row (1 car seat) with no real complaints. Happy though we(more importantly she) is with it I will try to use my jedi powers to usher in another Mazda..'but the dealer is far, and this/that is not as good as the Toyota..etc' (she sure likes her AC)...its a slippery slope so she'll definitely make the final call but I have little doubt HL and CX9 will be among the 2 or 3 finalists when the time comes- yr or 2. AC seats (good ones unlike the BS Toyota rolls out that I refused to authorize) would make the Mazda's case stronger, Mazda! Still appear absent from '18 but nearly a lock for the mid-cycle update, right?

Last edited:
^^IDK the Toyota does a lot of things right(I converted her from somewhat blindly just going Honda down the line)- great motor, reliable, strong resale and can definitely hold more crap when 3rd row is not in use. We get 3 across in hella roomy 2nd row (1 car seat) with no real complaints. Happy though we(more importantly she) is with it I will try to use my jedi powers to usher in another Mazda..'but the dealer is far, and this/that is not as good as the Toyota..etc' (she sure likes her AC)...its a slippery slope so she'll definitely make the final call but I have little doubt HL and CX9 will be among the 2 or 3 finalists when the time comes- yr or 2. AC seats (good ones unlike the BS Toyota rolls out that I refused to authorize) would make the Mazda's case stronger, Mazda! Still appear absent from '18 but nearly a lock for the mid-cycle update, right?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Highlander. I'm still on the fence. My heart wants the CX-9, my brain is leaning toward Highlander, if you know what I mean. For me, it's nearly an impossible choice - I really want both but there's no need for that. Within a few months or so, I must decide. They both earn wins but in so many different ways.

If you want to enjoy driving your vehicle, get the CX-9. If you want to enjoy driving others, get the Highlander. :)

If you want to enjoy driving your vehicle, get the CX-9. If you want to enjoy driving others, get the Highlander. :)

Even this argument about passenger comfort can go to the CX-9. The CX-9 arguably has more comfortable 2nd row seats, with deeper floor wells, and more supportive seats. With captains chairs, the Highlander has a more open feel though. And if you do use the 3rd row, the CX-9 is actually better, plus more room behind 3rd row.

I have 2 kids, 5 & 3. Will rarely use the 3rd row anyway. Cargo space behind 2nd row of CX-9 is plenty for any road trip.

It's other qualities that have me on the fence.

Highlander is better for...

Long term reliability and longevity. Question for me is how long I plan on keeping it. I don't drive that many miles

Resale value

Looks more rugged like an SUV if that's what you want

Certain available features, separate opening hatch window, etc.

More HP for high speed passing power, towing capacity

Interior storage

Better AC?

CX-9 better for...

Driving dynamics

Interior style, and material quality

Exterior style (subjective)

Low end torque and responsiveness

Total leg room across 3 rows

Fun image, less mommy mobile, less minivan substitute.

Highlander is better for...

Long term reliability and longevity. Question for me is how long I plan on keeping it. I don't drive that many miles

Both of my existing Mazdas are very reliable.

Last edited:
Back