Dash Lights have stopped working and fan speed switch wires are getting really hot

:
02 Protege 5
Today after removing and reinstalling my aftermarket double din stereo, the dash lights stopped working and i also discovered that the big black and blue wires on the fan speed switch are getting very hot. Not sure if those two things are connected. Interior fuses are all fine. Cant seem to figure it out. (uhm)

I would start by unplugging the new stereo and double checking all your wires are connected well and aren't touching one another. I only say this cause you said the issues started after you did the stereo

^^^ What he said...

If your fan wires are hot,.. Especially if your fan is off,... Then your shorting out.

The big fat wire going to the fan is ground...

Screenshot_2017-07-15-00-02-36.png

You've probably got a wire shorting to it..

Check your stereo installation...

Check both fuse boxes..

Last edited:
The wires only get hot when the fan is running. seems to be the connector. The dash lights are on the "taillights" 15 amp fuse in the engine bay fusebox. It was blown and works after i replaced it. I think it blew because there is a orange and white wire and an orange wire coming form the stereo and the connector that were loose and touched somehow. I replaced the fuse and shortened the wires and it seems to function now.

The wires only get hot when the fan is running. seems to be the connector. The dash lights are on the "taillights" 15 amp fuse in the engine bay fusebox. It was blown and works after i replaced it. I think it blew because there is a orange and white wire and an orange wire coming form the stereo and the connector that were loose and touched somehow. I replaced the fuse and shortened the wires and it seems to function now.

Nice! Keeping that prot on the road!

The wires only get hot when the fan is running. seems to be the connector...

The heat is coming from the switch...
You should take it's part and clean it..

There's up to 12 amps running through the switch...

switch1_zps9407d2e1.png

switch2_zps6d2ba7d3.png

PANA0160_zps9f2ec251.jpg

PANA0174_zpse2e7c6b6.jpg

Back