0% financing incentives/sales gimmicks

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
Well, I've been shopping around for a new vehicle (or two), and have visited the local Mazda dealership several times.
I get regular e-mails from the sales rep., always anxious to make a sale...no problem.
The latest incentive he tells me about is a $3,000 instant rebate for a cash sale, or 0% financing for 60 months. Not both of course.
This whole 0% financing stuff is prevalent all over the industry, not just at Mazda.
I find it a bit of a scam, to be honest, and was wondering what others think.
I pointed out to my sales rep that in essence, I have to pay an extra $3,000 for the car if I finance it (at 0% of course). I do not get a rebate or discount.
$3,000 is certainly not 0% in my book.
He then tells me that he "forgot" to tell me that there is a $2,000 rebate for finance customers. How convenient.
I kindly point out that it will still cost me $1,000 to finance it (at 0%....lol).
Of course he tells me there is more room to negotiate discounts on cash sales.
What a crock.
I remind him (nicely) that there is no such thing as free financing. SOMEBODY has to pay. Nobody lends money at 0%.
He's still towing the Company line, but it just bugs me that so many car dealers push this 0% financing crap,
when in fact you are paying more for the vehicle just to get this so called 0%.
Lots of people fall for it too.
Thoughts?

Jeep offered me $3,500 to buy a Cherokee... IF I would take 3.9% financing. What about zero, I asked. No rebate with that. Because if I take $3,500 off at 3.9 (I did the math) I save a whole $1,200 making minimum payments. They get their money either way.

We paid exactly 0% on the negotiated cash price amount financed over 3 years here in Ontario, Canada. Below invoice. They get their manufacturer kick-off back and volume sales incentives, among other things. The dealer doesn't even finance it themselves, if you noticed. The bank does, through the deal with dealer directly or with Mazda.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Jeep offered me $3,500 to buy a Cherokee... IF I would take 3.9% financing. What about zero, I asked. No rebate with that. Because if I take $3,500 off at 3.9 (I did the math) I save a whole $1,200 making minimum payments. They get their money either way.

Exactly. They get their percentage no matter what. It's never 0%.
Like I said, someone has to pay the financing charge, and it will always be the buyer.

A few years ago I helped my neighbour's young daughter buy her first new car.
She fell for the 0% financing, and no matter how I tried to explain that she was paying more for the car, all she saw was the 0%.
I finally gave up and she bought the car. She also got sucked into an extended warranty, which I could not talk her out of.
I found myself wondering why I bothered trying to help. She fell for all the sales tricks.

We paid exactly 0% on the negotiated cash price amount financed over 3 years here in Ontario, Canada. Below invoice. They get their manufacturer kick-off back and volume sales incentives, among other things. The dealer doesn't even finance it themselves, if you noticed. The bank does, through the deal with dealer directly or with Mazda.

It's unusual to get 0% on the cash price. Good work if you got it.
What I'm wondering though is, did you go in and negotiate the cash price first, and then ask for 0%,
or did you tell them you wanted the 0% financing, and then negotiated a price? This could make a difference.

I had the Eplan discount. Mazda was offering 0% for well qualified buyers. With Eplan the price is the price ($2,400 off GT). I negotiated my trade, got an extra $1,000 off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No, no, it's all cash negotiation right from the get-go. You need to get down to the cash price you're comfortable with, but never MRSP or higher. Work up from the invoice price minus KNOWN dealer incentives. Then tell them you'd finance. Depending on the circumstances, they'd be even happier as they might have had volume incentives from the financial institution that they have a deal with.

Never heard of Eplan. Is that a U.S. thing?
Employee friends and family purchase price. You need to know a Mazda employee to get it. Buddy is a district service manager.

-trade in value
-back of the house financing profit
-front of the house vehicle profit
-back of the house holdback and incentives

All of this is sliding scale 4 way negotiable.

Employee friends and family purchase price. You need to know a Mazda employee to get it. Buddy is a district service manager.

Ford has X plan. I bet others have identical. There is a list 1000 entries long of companies whose employees are eligible. I think I even saw McDonald's on it,lol

Ford has X plan. I bet others have identical. There is a list 1000 entries long of companies whose employees are eligible. I think I even saw McDonald's on it,lol

Yep, and the prices aren't great at all,and easily beatable just by asking. Well, except for McDonald's, unless you're a senior citizen. Lol

No, no, it's all cash negotiation right from the get-go. You need to get down to the cash price you're comfortable with, but never MRSP or higher. Work up from the invoice price minus KNOWN dealer incentives. Then tell them you'd finance. Depending on the circumstances, they'd be even happier as they might have had volume incentives from the financial institution that they have a deal with.

(hand)(hand)

Yep, and the prices aren't great at all,and easily beatable just by asking. Well, except for McDonald's, unless you're a senior citizen. Lol

I recall X plan being beatable on some vehicles, and not others (some vehicles the dealership would not budge on, like the new at the time Mustangs, etc.)

I recall X plan being beatable on some vehicles, and not others (some vehicles the dealership would not budge on, like the new at the time Mustangs, etc.)

I could see that. The Mazda S and E plans aren't great at all though. But, when it's all said and done, any discount is better than none I guess.

I could see that. The Mazda S and E plans aren't great at all though. But, when it's all said and done, any discount is better than none I guess.
You've said that before, but I there's no way I could have gotten a better deal without it. Maybe I'm a piss poor negotiator, though.

I thought Ford's was the A plan? Whatever it is, I think they have 2 plans. The friends and family and then the employee plan.

(huh)
(uhm)(uhm)

Dude said to start at Invoice (an utter BS) number and go up from there, but never above MSRP! Lmao...

We all know about Mazda listing their invoice on most cars is less than $1k of MSRP, so....

Now we see why S and E plans can be seen as great...

Dude said to start at Invoice (an utter BS) number and go up from there, but never above MSRP! Lmao...

We all know about Mazda listing their invoice on most cars is less than $1k of MSRP, so....

Now we see why S and E plans can be seen as great...
Actually, he said dealer invoice less known dealer incentives. It takes a bit of digging to turn up all of those, but you need a starting point to base a reasonable offer on. Makes a helluva lot more sense than looking for some hypothetical discount off MSRP!

Back