0% financing incentives/sales gimmicks

Actually, he said dealer invoice less known dealer incentives. It takes a bit of digging to turn up all of those, but you need a starting point to base a reasonable offer on. Makes a helluva lot more sense than looking for some hypothetical discount off MSRP!

Bull dookie. You MINUS incentives off the selling price that you negotiate. You're going to get those incentives regardless if you qualify, no matter the price you pay, even if you get talked into paying MSRP. Incentives have nothing to do with negotiating a sales prices, just count for overall percentage you get off MSRP.

So, I stick to my statement, you start at invoice and you're setting yourself up for a bad deal. I bet he looks at TrueCar too...

Last edited:
Bull dookie. You MINUS incentives off the selling price that you negotiate. You're going to get those incentives regardless if you qualify, no matter the price you pay, even if you get talked into paying MSRP. Incentives have nothing to do with negotiating a sales prices, just count for overall percentage you get off MSRP.

So, I stick to my statement, you start at invoice and you're setting yourself up for a bad deal. I bet he looks at TrueCar too...
So unless I'm missing something in this thread, you've made an attempt o state what you think is poor negotiating strategy, but have offered no alternative. What's that all about?

So unless I'm missing something in this thread, you've made an attempt o state what you think is poor negotiating strategy, but have offered no alternative. What's that all about?

Because I've shared it numerous times in others,including this morning.

And, I've helped a handful by PM/email get great deals here, all the while being ridiculed and name called, but it's all good, carry on...

When I want to beat a dealer up, I beat them up on the note. They end up moving every other variable around to hit the note, whereas if you try to beat them up on incentives....they can move all the other things around to compensate. Same for sale price, or trade in, etc. If you beat them up on note, you only focus on one thing, while they have to make 5 other things line up to make your 1 thing work out. It's like guarding the goal in soccer vs chasing the ball all over the field. Less work, better results. That said...you have to be sensible and we'll informed for this to work out for you instead of for them...otherwise you just get an 84mo term,lol

I'm probably not so smart on all this stuff, but we bought my wife a new 17 Honda Civic EX-T a few weeks ago for a little over $19K and with fees, tags and tax a little over $20K. I started by finding a young guy at my closest Honda dealership that had all five ratings and called him with my out the door price that was at the bottom of the national average for that model and the moment I said that amount he asked for my email address. As we were talking I received an email with his agreement to the exact model and color with the amount stated. I was ready to pay cash if needed, but took their 0.9% financing. Since we took the financing we decided not to put down a down payment at the dealership and I will drop $10K on the second payment once I have the Honda financing setup on the bank bill pay.

We did the trade in for my wife's 07 Mazda 3 after we had the finalized the new car price. We did take a hit on that of maybe a couple thousand compared to me selling it privately, but selling a car privately is a total PITA in my opinion. The last time I did it I spent too much time meeting folk for test drives, listening to them haggle the price and having to take time from work to meet. So I was willing to take a hit. Plus the M 3 needed about $1K in prep and mechanical work to get anything out of it and it appeared there were a lot of those cars already on the used market.

In the end of it all we were happy that we got the new Honda for about $1K more than what we paid for the Mazda 3 10 years ago and it is a nicer car with the technology updates and nice all around.

So in the end we took the 0.9% just for convenience sake, but it really wasn't a factor in buying the car until the very end and it did not play a role in negotiating price. We plan to knock out the loan this year just to get it done.

I think finding this particular dealer was key. It was one of the easiest car purchases I have ever made.

Back