Carbon Buildup On Intake Ports Already????

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
Hi all, we have 75,000KM on our beloved 2015 Mazda 6. it is ALREADY beggining to show signs of intake port buildup!!! the car makes this strange intake grumbling sound at low rpm. Idle, and revving (particularly at high rpm) is not as smooth as before. fuel economy has dropped slightly.

I am concerned that there is already so much buildup at such a low mileage. is my only choice really to take off the intake manifold and clean the ports? is there some sort of chemical I can put on the ports to slow buildup?

It's my dads car (he drives it extremely conservatively in a straight line which 100% contributed to such quick buildup) so I took it out for a thorough drive the other day (few redlines) and immediately i felt the engine begin to run smoother, but unless you rip the engine regularly, there is not much you can do about the buildup.

so my question is, do intake cleaners work? how else can I slow the buildup?

thanks all.

How do you know that there is buildup on the intake ports?

Don't know about intake cleaners or stuff like that. You can probably slow down the buildup by disconnecting your EGR or removing it altogether. You can do this on your Mazda6, but it would probably trigger a check engine light and is probably against the law depending on where you live. On Speed3s, people are using water methanol injection kits for more power/cooling. A positive side effect of these WMI kits is it helps keep the intake valves clean.

Carbon buildup is just something that happens with DI engines. I still believe the best way to tackle it is to just regularly clean the intake valves every 30k miles or so.

Put some high test in the tank and drive it like you stole it.

If you think that's not working then SeaFoam but watch YouTube videos before performing.

well I am not absolutely certain, but everything is pointing towards it.

-rough/fluctuating idle
-engine is overall not as smooth as before
-after upshifting at low rpm and getting back on the throttle, a loud intake grumbling noise is heard
- i floored it a couple times (it is my dads car, he drives is conservatively) and right away it did seem to help a little bit.

is my only choice to just remove the intake manifold and check/clean the valves? is it a lot of work to do? it seems relatively straight foward, only one wire running over the manifold and just a couple bolts to remove. or is it more complicated then this?

CDC makes an intake valve cleaner spray for direct injected engines. Try that first. That said, mine with 60k on it has none of those symptoms.

Have you tried checking if the engine is throwing some codes? Are you able to see what the actual AFR is? There are other easy things to check as well, like check the spark plugs and the intake system. Maybe the intake system is loose or has a leak or the MAF is dirty.

I am getting an occaisonal CEL. it comes and goes. lately, the engine has not been exhibiting the symptoms very much and the CEL is not there anymore.

does anyone know what may cause a vibrating/fluctuating idle? it's worse with A/C on, but does it sometimes even with AC off.

I am getting an occaisonal CEL. it comes and goes. lately, the engine has not been exhibiting the symptoms very much and the CEL is not there anymore.

does anyone know what may cause a vibrating/fluctuating idle? it's worse with A/C on, but does it sometimes even with AC off.
If you're getting a CEL occasionally, then the ECU is definitely throwing some engine codes. You need to find out what those engine codes are so you can diagnose what the problem is.

If it's under warranty they have Mazda fix it.

If not most Auto Part stores like Pep Boys and Auto Zone can scan for codes then at least you can find out the issue and make a plan.

Back