Transmission broken at 15,900 miles

4G63T

:
2018 Tiguan SE AWD Mitsubishi Evolution 2003
Model : CX-5 Sport AWD
Year : 2016 (bought new in Aug 2015)
Current Miles: 15,900
VIN : JM3KE4BY4G067****

Well guys and gals just letting you know my transmission is trashed and getting replaced under warranty. My transmison had a 4-5 second delay from when I changed the gear selector to Drive before it will start moving forward. Even when I'm driving and come to a complete stop, after I release the brake pedal It has the same delay before it will move forward . If I attempt to give it some throttle before the 4-5 seconds delay, the motor will rev as if I where in neutral , then it will jerk forward hard when it engages . Similar to doing a neutral rev and drop to "D" on an Auto trans car.

I took it in to the dealer and they said they seen it happen before and I'll be getting a new transmission . I'm not sure if anyone here has had this issue but I thought I would share this info in case you run into a similar issue. My transmission went out with only 15,900 miles so I guess this issue can arrise at lower a mileage .

Last edited:
Acts almost like it's low on fluid, but I guess that wasn't the issue.

One Q - was it working fine before 15900? What you describe is a real serious concern.
I would recommend you post your masked VIN for people to identify.

I hope once it became clear this was the problem = Mazda will fix it fast giving you a loaner.

IIRC, some early build 2016's had transmission component issues with the same symptoms.

What's the build date on the sticker on the driver door jamb?

Model : CX-5 Sport AWD
Year : 2016 (bought new in Aug 2015)
Current Miles: 15,900

Well guys and gals just letting you know my transmission is trashed and getting replaced under warranty. My transmison had a 4-5 second delay from when I changed the gear selector to Drive before it will start moving forward. Even when I'm driving and come to a complete stop, after I release the brake pedal It has the same delay before it will move forward . If I attempt to give it some throttle before the 4-5 seconds delay, the motor will rev as if I where in neutral , then it will jerk forward hard when it engages . Similar to doing a neutral rev and drop to "D" on an Auto trans car.

I took it in to the dealer and they said they seen it happen before and I'll be getting a new transmission . I'm not sure if anyone here has had this issue but I thought I would share this info in case you run into a similar issue. My transmission went out with only 15,900 miles so I guess this issue can arrise at lower a mileage .
This shift-delay problem is typical to get transmission replaced especially for 2016 CX-5. In fact one member reported that a rep from Mazda North American Operations had admitted a batch of bad parts got installed into transmissions which caused problem. You're not alone and here you can see members reported transmission replacement on their 2016 CX-5 up to April, 2016; and I've seen several more since then. You'll see more complaints percentage-wise than others in the same class on transmission at NHTSA website.

Poll: My CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced

I collected many transmission replacement reports since last November for you from this CX-5 community alone. And these are only from 2016 Mazda CX-5's (one Mazda6) and all of them seemed starting with shift delay without warning:

Registered here today after researching transmission failures for this car. Mine is a 2016 Touring with approximately 700 miles. Currently in shop waiting for a new transmission to be shipped. Many of these posts describe what happened to my car. Warning lights coming on and loss of power. I'm reporting this to Mazda and NTSB
The dealer left me a voice message saying that I need a new transmission, and that one is already on order. But because of the holidays this week they don't think my car will be done until next Wed. at best. They said it's a two-day job.
Finally got a chance to bring it to the dealership. Guy sat in it and change the gears a few times and decided to give me a rental car. Got a call a few hours later saying they will be replacing to transmission next week. Only had 2500 miles on it. (headshake
Got her into the dealership this morning. After a quick demonstration in the parking lot I waited for about a half hour while they hooked it up for a quick reading. New transmission was being authorized as I left with a loaner. So no hoops. Not pleased with needing such a major component this quickly but at least they're doing the right thing in getting it taken care of. I forgot to note the serial number but if it's listed on the paperwork I'll post it here.
I'm facing the same problem, I have Mazda 6 2016 and just completed 1500 KM then I find this problem ins transmission when shifting from R to D or from N to D there is delay in response about 5 sec or more.
Today I drop the car to the dealer and I will leave the car their for couple of days then let see what they will update me.
Hi guys this is my first post as this is my 1st problem with my 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT at only 5,500 miles my transmission got stuck in 1st gear car have been in the dealer for a week as they didn't have the transmission on stock and needed to wait for mazda to send one, my questions are: Anyone else with a similar problem? How common are for this transmission to just fail at low miles? Should I just try to get out of this lease?
Mine went in today and yep, fill transmission replacement.
Add me to the list.

I had the same issue on our CX-5, though your transmission seems to be worse than ours was, before being replaced under warranty. In our case, the issue would show itself from time to time, but never consistently. Either way the service tech was able to reproduce it and they promptly replaced the transmission, no questions asked. I reported the issue and they decided to replace the transmission on my 15k mile service visit.

One Q - was it working fine before 15900? What you describe is a real serious concern.
I would recommend you post your masked VIN for people to identify.

I hope once it became clear this was the problem = Mazda will fix it fast giving you a loaner.

Which digits of the VIN are you looking for ? The car is at the dealer now and they gave me a loaner (CX-5 GT) .

IIRC, some early build 2016's had transmission component issues with the same symptoms.

What's the build date on the sticker on the driver door jamb?

Ill have to see when I get it back , maybe in a week. For now all I can say is its the 2016 model year (not the 2016.5) . I bought it new in August 2015 .

This shift-delay problem is typical to get transmission replaced especially for 2016 CX-5. In fact one member reported that a rep from Mazda North American Operations had admitted a batch of bad parts got installed into transmissions which caused problem. You're not alone and here you can see members reported transmission replacement on their 2016 CX-5 up to April, 2016; and I've seen several more since then. You'll see more complaints percentage-wise than others in the same class on transmission at NHTSA website.

Poll: My CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced

Thanks for the info and link. Ill post in that thread as well.

I had the same issue on our CX-5, though your transmission seems to be worse than ours was, before being replaced under warranty. In our case, the issue would show itself from time to time, but never consistently. Either way the service tech was able to reproduce it and they promptly replaced the transmission, no questions asked. I reported the issue and they decided to replace the transmission on my 15k mile service visit.

My wife drives the car mostly. She told me it started two days ago but forgot to tell me. And yesterday it was happening all the time. She came home and I took it out for a spin/ self diagnosis and drove straight to the dealer.

The mechanic there recognized the issue and said I was going to get a new transmission. The service person put it in the computer, placed an order for new transmission and they will do the two other recalls regarding the rear trunk gas shock replacement and air bag thing.

Did you experience any symptoms before 15k? If so apprx when and what were they?

I have a 16 with a little over 13k (purchased Apr 2015), the trans has always been fine. Hoping it not a problem that just manifests out of the blue.

Did you experience any symptoms before 15k? If so apprx when and what were they?

I have a 16 with a little over 13k (purchased Apr 2015), the trans has always been fine. Hoping it not a problem that just manifests out of the blue.

No symptoms at all. It just failed all of a sudden.

No updates as of yet. Its still at the dealer. I think it will take a week for them to get the new trans and install it.

Which digits of the VIN are you looking for ? The car is at the dealer now and they gave me a loaner (CX-5 GT) .

Leave the last 4 digits off and let us know your VIN. I am not a VIN expert but maybe someone can verify.
What I really want to see is if this TX issue can be narrowed down to a VIN range though I am not very sure. If that was the case MZD would have already done that. It seems those parts went into VINs that are more spread out. We dont know what % of 16s see this.

My VIN is very close to yours, only diff (besides model and options) is mine left the assembly plant earlier than yours.
More accurate way to track the possible transmission problem is to use the s/n and manufacture date on transmission itself. If this's really a case as reported by another member that a rep from Mazda North American Operations had admitted a batch of bad parts got installed into the transmission, then we can only pray either the symptom shows up early before warranty expires or the transmission we have doesn't contain the bad parts.

Just a small update the car is still not done. The transmission came in later than expected. It was planned to be installed on Tuesday but the United Autoworkers Union went on strike and its pending till the strike is over .

Now that you are getting a forged trans turbo time (drive2)

Just a small update the car is still not done. The transmission came in later than expected. It was planned to be installed on Tuesday but the United Autoworkers Union went on strike and its pending till the strike is over .
What does a UAW strike have to do with Mazda?

did you drive the car aggressively when it was new?

have you checked the fluid level at all, or do you just assume that it is not low on fluid..?

What does a UAW strike have to do with Mazda?

The mechanics at the dealer have union. I guess they are not coming to work till the strike is over.

did you drive the car aggressively when it was nepw?

have you checked the fluid level at all, or do you just assume that it is not low on fluid..?

I had not checked the fluid level . But if it were empty or low, Mazda would have let me know warranty would not cover. My cx-5 is driven mostly by my wife M-F she goes to school . She has never hit WOT or driven aggressively and drives 90% highway miles . I drive it on the weekends and sometimes I might accelerate aggressively and maybe a WOT pull merging to the highway to makeup for the "too much granny driving" its been getting. But mostly I drive in a way to try and get the best MPG.

I had not checked the fluid level . But if it were empty or low, Mazda would have let me know warranty would not cover. My cx-5 is driven mostly by my wife M-F she goes to school . She has never hit WOT or driven aggressively and drives 90% highway miles . I drive it on the weekends and sometimes I might accelerate aggressively and maybe a WOT pull merging to the highway to makeup for the "too much granny driving" its been getting. But mostly I drive in a way to try and get the best MPG.
Checking ATF level is not part of routine maintenance item and it isn't stated anywhere in Mazda's maintenance schedule. Even ATF drain-and-fill is not mentioned in Mazda's maintenance list. If your transmission problem is caused by low ATF level, it still should be Mazda's responsibility as the ATF can't be low by itself unless there's severe leak somewhere at 15,900 miles; or it was severe under-filled from factory.

Back