Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dealer insisted on giving me a GT even though I purchased the Touring

Registered Member

None

Letís change this scenario so that youíre the victim instead of the dealer. Letís say that you order a Touring model (like you did), pay for it, sign all the paperwork, take possession of it, and then drive home a new CX-5. On the following day to your horror, you discover that itís really a lower priced Sport model instead of a Touring model and for some reason you didnít notice it while at the dealership. What would you do? Youíd be angry as a hornet and on the war path about it.

What Thaumaturge said. You did the right thing.

You asked ďHow many people actually check the VINs on their cars when they take delivery of the vehicle, and how often does something like this happen?Ē

It happened to me. When I took delivery of a new 300ZX, I forgot to check the car's VIN no. to the VIN no. on all paperwork while taking possession of the car. The next day I discovered a mistake. It was the correct car model and options but the titleís VIN no. did not exactly match the VIN no. on the car. The dealer had made a typo with one of the characters in the VIN no. and I didnít notice it at the dealership. It was a hassle getting it corrected. A carís VIN no. consists of 17 characters. Pos. 1-11 of the VIN no. is coded vehicle identification information (the manufacturer, model year, model, country of origin, etc.). Pos. 12-17 of the VIN no. is a 6 digit serial no. Luckily for me, one of the characters in pos. 1-11 was wrong so it was a small hassle to straighten it out. I was told that if thereís a mistake in pos. 12-17, then itís a big hassle.

Check the VIN no. on the car to all paperwork containing the VIN no. Donít sign anything, donít pay anything, and donít accept anything unless the carís VIN number matches all paperwork VIN numbers. Bring a check list with you so you donít forget anything.

All dealerships make mistakes. Itís how well a dealer handles mistakes that you should judge them by.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Let’s change this scenario so that you’re the victim instead of the dealer. Let’s say that you order a Touring model (like you did), pay for it, sign all the paperwork, take possession of it, and then drive home a new CX-5. On the following day to your horror, you discover that it’s really a lower priced Sport model instead of a Touring model and for some reason you didn’t notice it while at the dealership. What would you do? You’d be angry as a hornet and on the war path about it.
    You're absolutely right. Had I been on the short-end of the hypothetical stick, I would have wanted to rectify the issue with the dealer ASAP. Even if I had unknowingly driven off with a GT, I would've been stressed as all hell knowing the car I'm driving isn't really mine and worrying about the potential hassle I would face having to sign new paperwork, registration, title, etc. Like someone mentioned in an earlier reply, probably not worth the hassle even if I ended up coming up on top because the dealer would hound me to death to get me to step foot in the dealership again.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

I have a brother that would have enjoyed playing with that dealer while putting miles on the car they forced on him. Ed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234