Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealer insisted on giving me a GT even though I purchased the Touring

I think it would have worked out if she (assuming op is a she here...Deb). Yes, what the lawyer sounding guy said is certainly true, dealers not going to go through the hassle of calling his lawyer if you try to fight him. Dealer isn't going to spend 2 grand in lawyer fees for a 3,000 dollar mistake.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD . 2014 CX-5 GT FWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Dealer isn't going to spend 2 grand in lawyer fees for a 3,000 dollar mistake.
    Dealer like has attorney on retainer, so the money's spent. Threat to sue will be enough as customer lawyer would know they couldn't win. This would never get to court.

No business is going to let someone get away with something of this magnitude and then blab all over town about it. Were I the dealer, I would give freebies to the customer and take them out of the guilty employee's hide if they weren't a stellar performer.

Car dealers routinely hose people $50 at a time. Do you really think they'd eat a grand or more?

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT Sonic Silver

Interesting scenario. Simply put, honesty is the best policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
    Dealer like has attorney on retainer, so the money's spent. Threat to sue will be enough as customer lawyer would know they couldn't win. This would never get to court.

No business is going to let someone get away with something of this magnitude and then blab all over town about it. Were I the dealer, I would give freebies to the customer and take them out of the guilty employee's hide if they weren't a stellar performer.

Car dealers routinely hose people $50 at a time. Do you really think they'd eat a grand or more?
    I do. I absolutely do. My firm only asks for retainers for Divorces or Criminal Cases. None of our larger business clients are asked for Retainers. They are billed as work is performed.
    I've seen a lot of companies lose much more then that to avoid larger kisses or to simply not look like assholes.
    IMO, OP did the right thing. I would have too. But I think Deb could be driving a GT right now.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

I do. I absolutely do. My firm only asks for retainers for Divorces or Criminal Cases. None of our larger business clients are asked for Retainers. They are billed as work is performed.
    I've seen a lot of companies lose much more then that to avoid larger kisses or to simply not look like assholes.
    IMO, OP did the right thing. I would have too. But I think Deb could be driving a GT right now.

I think so too. And, if she wasn't driving a GT, then the dealer would lose a $1k+ anyways because I would've put enough miles on it for it to be considered used by the time they got it back. Of course, I'm sure they have a stealership game of hide-n-seek for that too...

LOL. I hope y'all know I meant losses up there...not kisses.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

CX-5 GT

Sometimes one leads to another...

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

LOL. I hope y'all know I meant losses up there...not kisses.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Thanks for everyone's input on a rather bizarre scenario. Only 5 days in with the new car and I already have a story to tell! Had I driven off the lot with the GT knowing it wasn't the car I actually paid for, it wouldn't have sat right with me. That said, it's been interesting playing "what if", which leads me to another thought.

How many people actually check the VINs on their cars when they take delivery of the vehicle, and how often does something like this happen?

Registered Member

I check mine every single time as I don't trust a stealerships word on anything. Like when I bought my cx-5, they had two identical sitting on the lot, one Awd (mine), and one not...now the paperwork was right, but when I went to test drive it right before signing, they had washed the wrong one,and presented the fwd as mine. And honest mistake,sure,but still,you gotta pay attention and be on your toes while at a stealerships at all times...

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLewis View Post
    you gotta pay attention and be on your toes while at a stealerships at all times...

I was especially vigilant for this purchase since I knew I wasn't taking delivery until a week or so after signing papers and leaving my down payment. No such thing as being too careful when it comes to dealing with dealerships, I suppose.

Registered Member ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Yep, I checked my VIN as well to be sure. They had to bring it over from another lot somewhere so I was definitely going to double-check and make sure it was the right one. Especially after being at the stealership for several hours.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Yep, I checked my VIN as well to be sure. They had to bring it over from another lot somewhere so I was definitely going to double-check and make sure it was the right one. Especially after being at the stealership for several hours.
    I actually spent MORE time at the dealership waiting for them to prep MY car after they realized the mix-up than I did to sign papers. I negotiated pricing via email and text before agreeing to sign anything hoping to save time

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by justdeb__ View Post
    I actually spent MORE time at the dealership waiting for them to prep MY car after they realized the mix-up than I did to sign papers. I negotiated pricing via email and text before agreeing to sign anything hoping to save time
    Ditto, and I was 400+ miles away from home...

First new car I've bought. Didn't check VIN.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast