Why get AWD?

I bet it would be about 2k like it is to upgrade to the 2.0T Ecoboost on the Escape. So a GT with 2.5T just under 34k (just under 36k with PP). That's still competitive against the Escape (though they discount those a lot more). Also, still competitive against the 2018 Tiguan when similarly equipped and I'd argue even though it's got more torque the VW 2.0T Bcycle is actually more comparable to the Skyactiv 2.5. Mazda would sell them.

I also doubt the diesel would be as quick as the 2.5T. Yes, they have the same torque.... but that's just one number. I bet it would drive a lot like a VW TDI. Basically not that quick but no matter how much stuff or how many people you have in the car it'll accelerate the same.

Definitely not slow. My point is that 0-60 (100kph) should be about 2 seconds faster with the 2.5T I bet. So it's a different customer who would want the diesel vs the 2.5T in my humble opinion. And both customers exist in large numbers so I think Mazda would sell plenty of both to make it worth their trouble.

The 2.5T will be faster in sustained straight line acceleration, 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. simply because of the higher horsepower, but I doubt the difference would be as large as 2s from 0-60. In normal daily driving they will feel very similar. When I drove the 2017 CX-9, it had the most diesel-like powerband of any gasoline engine I've tried. The 2.2D will have more grunt just off idle which you'll feel when casually rolling off from a stop, and the 2.5T will rev out an extra 1000 rpm in the lower gears when you have the pedal mashed. But with either engine you'll spend the vast majority of your time between 1500 and 4500 rpm where they are very close to the same.

I don't necessarily agree that they appeal to different customers. Obviously, there are some people who won't buy a diesel for no other reason than it's a diesel, but who would buy the 2.5T. And there are a few people who are mainly interested in the diesel for fuel economy and who wouldn't buy the 2.5T. But I think there's a lot of overlap between the potential market for the two engines. I'll bet that if we had the chance to drive both of them back to back, most of us could be happy with either choice.

If you want to know what the 2.5T is like, test drive the CX-9. It's not anything like the 2.0L turbos in the Forester and Escape, which are tuned more for high rpm boost and when you mash the pedal you feel the lag followed by the turbo push as the revs build. The Mazda 2.5T is tuned more like the VW TSIs, with minimal lag and plenty of boost at cruising RPMs, but running out of steam as you approach redline.

The 2.5T will be faster in sustained straight line acceleration, 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. simply because of the higher horsepower, but I doubt the difference would be as large as 2s from 0-60. In normal daily driving they will feel very similar. When I drove the 2017 CX-9, it had the most diesel-like powerband of any gasoline engine I've tried. The 2.2D will have more grunt just off idle which you'll feel when casually rolling off from a stop, and the 2.5T will rev out an extra 1000 rpm in the lower gears when you have the pedal mashed. But with either engine you'll spend the vast majority of your time between 1500 and 4500 rpm where they are very close to the same.

I don't necessarily agree that they appeal to different customers. Obviously, there are some people who won't buy a diesel for no other reason than it's a diesel, but who would buy the 2.5T. And there are a few people who are mainly interested in the diesel for fuel economy and who wouldn't buy the 2.5T. But I think there's a lot of overlap between the potential market for the two engines. I'll bet that if we had the chance to drive both of them back to back, most of us could be happy with either choice.

If you want to know what the 2.5T is like, test drive the CX-9. It's not anything like the 2.0L turbos in the Forester and Escape, which are tuned more for high rpm boost and when you mash the pedal you feel the lag followed by the turbo push as the revs build. The Mazda 2.5T is tuned more like the VW TSIs, with minimal lag and plenty of boost at cruising RPMs, but running out of steam as you approach redline.

Which is very similar to the 1.5T in the Honda. Very punch low but runs out of steam higher up. The Honda turbo and the Mazda 2.5T are very similar, which plenty of down low punch and no turbo lag.

I just think your performance oriented customer is more likely to want the 2.5T and your more economy oriented customer will go for the diesel. I agree there is overlap. I think Mazda is smart to start with the diesel though. All those former TDI Sportwagen owners out there who still want a diesel..... we actually cross shooed the Alltrack against the CX-5. Wife just couldn't get past the wagon look and I thought the value was better on the CX-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking at the Alltrack too. I actually prefer the look of a wagon over an SUV, and I think the Alltrack has just enough ground clearance to get me through snow. But it gets pricey with options, and the AWD system isn't as good, and our last VW was a shop queen. Getting the 2.2D in the CX-5 should seal the deal for me.

I'm betting the Mazda diesel is going to be a lot more engaging to drive than Chevy's in the Equinox.

As much as I would love a Mazda 2.2D AWD...
the fact that it would only be on GT range(initially )
and be near 40K out the door kills me financially ...

So thats why I took the plunge and got the base Sport AWD
with the regular 2.5 for around 29K out the door.

Having daily driven a WRX now I know what SLOW car quick feels like ...

As much as I would love a Mazda 2.2D AWD...
the fact that it would only be on GT range(initially )
and be near 40K out the door kills me financially ...

So thats why I took the plunge and got the base Sport AWD
with the regular 2.5 for around 29K out the door.

Having daily driven a WRX now I know what SLOW car quick feels like ...

You paid 29K OTD for a Sport AWD? What taxes do you pay in Calif? 6 grand?

You paid 29K OTD for a Sport AWD? What taxes do you pay in Calif? 6 grand?

Good lord!

That's what I want to know.

My OTD with an AWD Touring back in the day was only like $26.7k-ish.

I'm really hoping this is a typo and you didn't pay $29k for a Sport...

I would expect the CX-5 GT AWD with Diesel to be more like 34K honestly.

For discussions sake, here are the weight comparisons between the CX-9 & CX-5 in Oz land:

CX-9
1845-1858kg / 4068-4096lbs (FWD)
1911-1924kg / 4213-4241lbs (AWD)

CX-5
1511-1556kg / 3331-3430lbs (FWD)
1663-1670kg / 3666-3682lbs (2.5L AWD)
1708-1744kg / 3766-3845lbs (2.2L AWD)

Lets leave aside the FWD CX-5

If you look at CX-9 FWD vs CX-5 2.5L AWD, there is a difference of 182-188kg / 401-415lbs
If you look at CX-9 AWD vs CX-5 2.5L AWD, there is a difference of 248-254kg / 540-560lbs
If you look at CX-9 AWD vs CX-5 2.2L AWD, there is a difference of 180-203kg / 397-448lbs

So if they dropped a 2.5L Turbo from the CX-9 into the CX-5, yes it might add a few extra kgs but it is possible it won't weigh as much as the current CX-5 2.2L but it might drop the 0-60 time down to mid 6s to very low 7s

Do you guys get ebough low down torque to do awd burnouts in the rain with oem tune? Tcs off

LOL. I'll let you know next time we get rain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm a solid AWD proponent... too many pros for what I like to do year round. Throw on snows on an AWD in snow and it can become a snowplow itself.

I noticed with the high flow panel with oek box vs sri i can whip the tail like crazy and i can burnout a lot easier. That sri is only good above 5krpms for sure. Also I tried to drift the other day and whipped about 1500rpm sooner than i was used to with the sri... 93 tune plus high flow filter is the way to go

The house I am considering, AWD is DEFINITELY nearly necessary. Glad I got it. Opened possibilities for me (place to live).

Dead = no movement. Hooks = wheels.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back