Why get AWD?

I could probably rock a Macan. Mazda really should put the 2.5T in the CX-5. For someone who doesn't care about the premium badge and just wants a refined, fast, and well sorted CUV this would be perfect. As it is it checks all boxes but fast. But we digress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much

Just throwing an outsider in the mix, how about the Alfa Romeo Stelvio?

If you like going to the service department a lot. The Giulia went into limp mode during a track day comparison with BMW and Mercedes.

If you like going to the service department a lot. The Giulia went into limp mode during a track day comparison with BMW and Mercedes.

Yeah, they have a lot to prove reliability-wise. Surprised C&D is letting that slide in their rankings calculations for now, despite reading about the failures during testing.

So Mazda should put in 2.5T because one guys wants to buy it? Wouldnt that be very expensive?

Yea, it's only one guy, for sure...(rofl2)

This is the point. There are not enough enthusiasts for the 2.5T - hence the V6 for Rav4 was dropped.
If you are an enthusiast and have a lot of money to spend you will be buying more expensive car. If you are an enthusiast with little or no money - makes no sense to make a car for you.

Sure Honda can drop some bucks on the type R and have a halo car - but I dont think its helping it brand significantly - it does give enthusiasts a reliable Honda type R as a daily but thats about it.
2.5T wont move a lot of CX-5s. Which is the most important vehicle for MZD now. Trying with a super hot hatch and moving upto 6 would be a sensible direction.

This is the point. There are not enough enthusiasts for the 2.5T - hence the V6 for Rav4 was dropped.
If you are an enthusiast and have a lot of money to spend you will be buying more expensive car. If you are an enthusiast with little or no money - makes no sense to make a car for you.

Sure Honda can drop some bucks on the type R and have a halo car - but I dont think its helping it brand significantly - it does give enthusiasts a reliable Honda type R as a daily but thats about it.
2.5T wont move a lot of CX-5s. Which is the most important vehicle for MZD now. Trying with a super hot hatch and moving upto 6 would be a sensible direction.

Couldn't disagree more. That type R is actually an investment like most cars aren't. I bought the Acura Type R,Civic SI, and Evo 8 when it came here because it was long overdue and a solid car that would keep its value (I drove all for 3 years very hard and sold them for less than $3k of what I paid). Something along those lines in a Mazda would have a solid chance to do the same. Heck, you have folks still begging for MazdaSpeed, and even in this site, they're are way more people wanting the 2.5T than not. It's okay, we can still all wave at you standing by your lonesome as the blow off valves pop off...

Funny you mention the Type R, I think it's fugly, but I'm highly tempted to go buy one just to drive the piss outta it for the next 3 years virtually for free because it will keep its value considerably...

So has there been anybody here yet who had an AWD and went back to FWD only?

Yep, I absolutely did go from AWD to RWD and FWD vehicles.

I have owned AWD's and would never buy one again unless it was designed for true off-roading with 30"+ tires. Even then I would likely just find an old FJ Toyota or Jeep and mod the heck out of it for fun off-road as most new vehicles are just not built tough enough.

I laughed pretty hard when watching that ridiculous video of the CX-5 on the ORV trail. Take one look underneath at the miserable gauge of steel holding your rear suspension together on the unibody CX-5 and you'll think twice before you try that crap in your own car.

As for normal daily driving on paved roads, RWD and FWD are just fine if you invest in proper tires for the seasons in your area and learn how to drive your vehicle according to its capabilities. Ask a first-responder what's more important: stopping or starting? Stopping baby, stopping!

AWD actually makes stopping your CX-5 marginally harder vs an identical FWD vehicle because of the added 130 lbs of weight you can never lose. Did I mention the parasitic drag on the drivetrain robbing your HP? Check out the power curves on AWD vs FWD in the CX-5 and tell me which one you like better. Physics is a b****.

BTW, I really can't believe people in this thread are bringing up the extreme edge cases of pulling out in front of people (and speeding away) and trying to escape being rear-ended at stop lights. (uhm)

Consider the penalties in initial cost, MPG, reliability (overheating and exploding light-duty transfer cases anyone?) and buying a FWD Mazda is a no-brainer. I invest the saved dollars in better tires and blow right past all models of AWD's in the wet and snow all the time in both my CX-9 and CX-5. Give me a skilled driver with good tires over AWD anytime.

Having said all that, there's no doubt that AWD is a positive feature ahead of dopey things like BSM and backup cameras, and may even be required for some conditions, but don't kid yourself that it's required for most or even many driving situations.

As always, YMMV and spend your money as you see fit.

Ford sells a lot of 2.0T Escapes........

Hmmm. Imagine that. And what car in our class is regularly considered to be the quickest one? :D

I think a lot of people cross shop the Escape and CX-5 but wouldn't consider a RAV4. CX-5 beats Escape everywhere but available power imo. I do think the Skyactiv 2.5 is superior to the 1.5 Ecoboost though.

I routinely leave people behind, because I don't want to marginally decrease my braking ability by taking on added weight.

(drive2)

Not true the Bmw awd system actually aids cornering according to bmw.

Personally I don't see any really safety advantage with AWD if You drive on normal roads and drive normally.
Good tires are much more important as well as controlling the throttle.
Remember AWD doesn't help the car to stay on the road during braking and cornering (which many people driving with AWD seems to forget).
Now if You go slightly of road, drive in a lot of snow or drive on very poor roads, AWD can very helpful (or even necessary).

I think a lot of people cross shop the Escape and CX-5 but wouldn't consider a RAV4. CX-5 beats Escape everywhere but available power imo. I do think the Skyactiv 2.5 is superior to the 1.5 Ecoboost though.

Agreed.

Back