Why get AWD?

For me it's because I live where it snows and what not and I live on a hill. I'll get a second set of wheels with winter tires too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree 100%! As one who had a FWD CX5 and used to argue AWD didn’t matter if you were “careful”, I’ve been driving AWD for almost 3 months and it’s so much more than the wet road factor. It does help corner better, helps acceleration on stones onto a highway, helps pulling out from a hill onto a road, has a much better planted feeling to the road. I drive a lot of curvy back roads with hills and the control is so much better. A much better driving experience all around. Gas mileage for me only dropped about 2 miles/gallon, basically a non-issue.
(first)
I have lived with 1 FWD CX-5 and 2 AWD CX-5's. I will NEVER bother getting a FWD only car again. Anyone who argues that there is no difference, that it doesn't add to safety, and that it only helps driving off-road is kidding themselves.

I used to be like most of the naysayers on here, thinking that AWD was unnecessary, and only good for the snow bunnies. Boy was I ever wrong! I never knew how wrong I was, until I was given the AWD option for free on our 2nd CX-5. After living with it for a few years, when it came time to get CX-5 #3, AWD was now a must have option for us.

Last edited:
I like my toaster to do both sides and my microwave to cook on high. AWD is superior to fwd in every condition.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. AWD is beneficial under certain circumstances for sure, but with reasonable driving habits and proper tires AWD is not a requirement.

It can just as much provide a false sense of security as it does provide confidence in your driving.

Drive according to the conditions - AWD or FWD - and you'll be fine. If you wouldn't be, AWD would be a requirement for every single vehicle on the road.

Even where I am up here in Canada I would've gone with FWD if it was available with the equipment we spec'd out. But to get a sunroof and the rest of the i-Activesense we're forced into AWD here. It's not a bad thing, but if I was given the choice with all other things equal I would've taken FWD: simpler drive train, less to maintain / break, better fuel economy. Especially in climates without snow or if you're not regularly on unmaintained roads.

Last edited:
If you are going to run bald tires - it makes no difference with AWD / FWD.
Running tires with 5/32 or better tread reading is more than enough with FWD where i am. AWD has no real advantage. Up north yes - that is where AWD can be helpful but FWD + snow tires would do just fine. Same is case with hilly terrains.
2 years in COLO SPRINGS with 11yr old Corolla - never felt i was missing AWD. And i see a good chunk of owners just driving a regular sedan.
Plus i strongly feel the FWD CX-5 is still well balanced vs lets say other FWD competitors.
It baffles me when people buy Subaru's in Dallas only to drive in city. Other than better highway mpg and better pulling power above 65 - i dont care for AWD.

If you are going to run bald tires - it makes no difference with AWD / FWD.
Running tires with 5/32 or better tread reading is more than enough with FWD where i am. AWD has no real advantage. Up north yes - that is where AWD can be helpful but FWD + snow tires would do just fine. Same is case with hilly terrains.
2 years in COLO SPRINGS with 11yr old Corolla - never felt i was missing AWD. And i see a good chunk of owners just driving a regular sedan.
Plus i strongly feel the FWD CX-5 is still well balanced vs lets say other FWD competitors.
It baffles me when people buy Subaru's in Dallas only to drive in city. Other than better highway mpg and better pulling power above 65 - i dont care for AWD.

Well the misconception with Colorado is that it's a frozen wasteland in the winter. This is not the case. It snows, melts in 2 days and is 70 degrees again.

Because of this, I absolutely want AWD, because it comes in handy for those snow days. Because the actual snow days are just that...days, I have never bothered to put on dedicated winter tires. The AWD and not driving like a complete jackass, works just fine. I have driven through some nasty crap (I-80 in the winter/snowstorms/blizzards in Wyoming and west of Reno), plus plenty of storms here in Colorado. AWD was fantastic.

As for other driving conditions I don't know. I've never had a FWD.

Last edited:
It's an acquired taste. When I would drive my stepdaughter's AWD CX5 on short occasion, I would think there's not really a difference here. but now that I've put my through the paces, I really appreciate it. The other day I was making a turn onto a highway and misjudged the speed of an oncoming car who was really accelerating hard towards me, so I gunned it having been well out onto the highway already, the thing took off with no wheel spin whatsoever and I avoided a near miss. Had it been my FWD CX5, I would've been fudging with the accelerator preventing wheel spin.

Yea for me it boils down to yes AWD isn't necessarily required. However it's really nice to have if it's in your budget.

I definitely really wish my Focus ST had AWD. wheel hop and torque steer are not virtues.

I am honestly having trouble figuring out what sports car I eventually want to buy, because I don't want to spend 991/911 4S money, I don't like the GT-R, the WRX STi doesn't do it for me, and the EVO X got the axe. We need a $35-65K AWD performance vehicle in this market!

Audi S4?
BMW 335 xdrive?
MB C400 4matic?

I saw that. It seems like Mazda has a good setup. At least as good as Subaru. Someone who lives down the hill from me has a CRV with AWD. That thing spins the front wheels a lot before it even thinks about sending power back. I've seen them struggle up the hill several times. I think my FWD Focus ST with Pirelli Sottozeros does better.

The only complaint I have is I wish it had terrain modes including snow mode you could just put it into when you know you're driving in snow.

Yep. I used to argue about how AWD was a non-issue, and had all the same arguments I see time and time again. Then I ended up with an AWD Grand Jeep Cherokee w/HEMI, and my entire perspective changed. Like you said, you don't know what you're missing in EVERY situation until you try it. I love the "you shouldn't drive aggressively...but I bought a CX5 because it feels good to drive it aggressively" arguments, lol! I am honestly having trouble figuring out what sports car I eventually want to buy, because I don't want to spend 991/911 4S money, I don't like the GT-R, the WRX STi doesn't do it for me, and the EVO X got the axe. We need a $35-65K AWD performance vehicle in this market!

Golf R is what I want to upgrade to from the ST.

The only complaint I have is I wish it had terrain modes including snow mode you could just put it into when you know you're driving in snow.
It doesn't have one, or any other modes for that matter because the car knows when you're driving in snow, or rain, etc...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. AWD is beneficial under certain circumstances for sure, but with reasonable driving habits and proper tires AWD is not a requirement.

It can just as much provide a false sense of security as it does provide confidence in your driving.

Drive according to the conditions - AWD or FWD - and you'll be fine. If you wouldn't be, AWD would be a requirement for every single vehicle on the road.

Even where I am up here in Canada I would've gone with FWD if it was available with the equipment we spec'd out. But to get a sunroof and the rest of the i-Activesense we're forced into AWD here. It's not a bad thing, but if I was given the choice with all other things equal I would've taken FWD: simpler drive train, less to maintain / break, better fuel economy. Especially in climates without snow or if you're not regularly on unmaintained roads.

My thoughts exactly.

What are you talking about?? I can't tell you how many times I see people flying up behind me at a red light because they're not paying attention. If this happens in rain, I am definitely safer to have AWD which(based on my testing) gets me moving absolutely right away versus FWD where I know I would start spinning upon slamming the gas pedal down. So yes, AWD is 100% a safety advantage.

Well, I can tell how many times that has happened to me: zero times as in never.
And if it's that big a safety advantage, it makes me wonder AWD hasn't been required by law like ABS and ESP.

Back