Why get AWD?

I drove a front-wheel drive one for two years. It's spun the tires all the time. My last 2 have been all wheel drive. You cannot spin the front tires. I don't know what else I can tell you. Drive it for yourself.

I've owned AWD cars for 17 years. You absolutely CAN spin the front tires, and on low traction surfaces (snow, slush, mud, ice) it's pretty easy to do. I'm not saying AWD doesn't help - it does. But to suggest that AWD = never spin wheels again is plainly false.

Was running LX20's with plenty of tread. Never driven a Mazda 6, can't comment on that drivetrain. I just know my CX5 lights em up without AWD, even on dry clean asphalt.

Not very good tires then... we have Yokohamas all around 225 width. They chirp a little bit in the dry under full throttle, but they won't spin unless its raining outside. Traction around corners is excellent.

I see nothing wrong with front or rear wheel drive in different conditions. Usually it's tires and the awful open differential which holds these cars back then anything else.

I've owned AWD cars for 17 years. You absolutely CAN spin the front tires, and on low traction surfaces (snow, slush, mud, ice) it's pretty easy to do. I'm not saying AWD doesn't help - it does. But to suggest that AWD = never spin wheels again is plainly false.

Sorry, let me state it like this.... In my daily use, in my climate, I cannot and have not ever been able to spin the tires on my AWD CX-5.

My FWD CX-5 would spin the tires at every take off if desired. Even DRY weather.

My AWD CX-5 will not spin a tire DRY or WET.

I have not had it in the snow or ice yet, but I am sure you can get it to spin there. (naughty)

The thread was called "Why get AWD?", and for me it means not having to worry as much about traction and throttle modulation.

If I were to start a thread called "Why get FWD?", I would be telling you how much money you will save in gas, save money in service costs, and also save money in tires.

Last edited:
I think it's ridiculous to drop extra change on AWD just so you have extra traction when starting off the line like a hooligan...

For the record, my rear drive bimmer was extremely effective in the snow this previous winter.

Sorry, let me state it like this.... In my daily use, in my climate, I cannot and have not ever been able to spin the tires on my AWD CX-5.

My FWD CX-5 would spin the tires at every take off if desired. Even DRY weather.

My AWD CX-5 will not spin a tire DRY or WET.

I have not had it in the snow or ice yet, but I am sure you can get it to spin there. (naughty)

Got it. I don't think I've spun them up on dry pavement, and on wet pavement I would have to really try. But I live in snow country. I've also broken them loose going through some mud, and on steep uphill turns going up dirt & gravel mountain roads.

Yea it helps for sure. I plan to still put winter tires on it also.

Glad you said that. I had an '01 Escape AWD for 14 years but always on all-season tires. Opted for FWD and winter tires with my '16 CX-5. Much better steering control and stopping ability with the CX-5. For my driving style and conditions, if you told me I could have AWD or winter rubber but not both, I'd take the winter tires/wheels. YMMV

No doubt Brillo. Winter definitely trumps AWD. No question. I'm getting Winters this year. First ever AWD + Snow tires. Bring it, old man winter!

Meh. Snow never lasts long here, so I never bother with dedicated winter tires. If I still lived in the mountains I would.

Been more than impressed with my AWD/All-season tire performance.

Yup I agree FWD on winters > AWD on AS. Especially OE AS.
Only if you live in place where winter tires makes sense. If you live in a place that gets 1-3 days of snow storms in a year, putting on winter tires on a FWD car won't make sense. I will argue, AWD with all-seasons makes more sense in that scenario.

I assume you get "lake effect" snows up there in CLE. Definitely want the "combo platter" in that case. ;)

Yes, we get LE. Luckily I'm on the right side of town. Because of geography there's pretty much a line right through the middle of the city. East of that line averages over 110 inches per year. West of it we get less then half. Seriously.

Why AWD...why not? FWD is very effective, especially coupled with TC, but AWD is more effective, in more environments. Like:

I feel like it allows me the freedom to go where I want, without (too much) worry about making it back. (headbang)

Only if you live in place where winter tires makes sense. If you live in a place that gets 1-3 days of snow storms in a year, putting on winter tires on a FWD car won't make sense. I will argue, AWD with all-seasons makes more sense in that scenario.

This.

Unless I start heading to the mountains, there's zero reason for me to buy winter tires here in Vancouver.

Most of the people I see having problems in snow/ice are with poor stopping decisions anyway (not enough space, applying too much brake etc). They'd have the same problems with or without snow tires or front/rear/AWD.

From a cost perspective for AWD cars.....

Does 1 damaged tire mean you have to change 2 tires?

Cost in extra fluid maintenance?

MPG lost?

Do you save on car insurance (if they consider AWD a safety feature)?

From a cost perspective for AWD cars.....

MPG lost?

It's not much. Over here Gen 1 2.0L figures:

FWD - City 8.0 L/100km, Hwy 5.5 L/100km, Combined: 6.4 L/100km
AWD - City 8.2 L/100km, Hwy 6.2 L/100km, Combined: 6.9 L/100km

Car Insurance no different.

You should never replace just one tire.

Back