Why get AWD?

why I traded in my 2015 WRX for the 2017 CX-5 Sport AWD...

While I did not buy the GT with the optional package...
I think the AWD system is a safety advantage that I use daily.

Personally I don't see any really safety advantage with AWD if You drive on normal roads and drive normally.
Good tires are much more important as well as controlling the throttle.
Remember AWD doesn't help the car to stay on the road during braking and cornering (which many people driving with AWD seems to forget).
Now if You go slightly of road, drive in a lot of snow or drive on very poor roads, AWD can very helpful (or even necessary).

why I traded in my 2015 WRX for the 2017 CX-5 Sport AWD...

While I did not buy the GT with the optional package...
I think the AWD system is a safety advantage that I use daily.

Very interesting! One of my best friends has a 2017 WRX. What do you miss/what do you not miss/why did you do it?

Personally I don't see any really safety advantage with AWD if You drive on normal roads and drive normally.
Good tires are much more important as well as controlling the throttle.
Remember AWD doesn't help the car to stay on the road during braking and cornering (which many people driving with AWD seems to forget).
Now if You go slightly of road, drive in a lot of snow or drive on very poor roads, AWD can very helpful (or even necessary).

It actually does help a lot in aggressive cornering with throttle-on.

Rain is a normal thing.

Your arguments can all be made as to why ABS is not useful in "normal situations".

My point in the video is that sometimes "normal" does not apply because of the organic component, and in such cases, the machine can give you an edge.

We get plenty of rain here and I've never needed AWD when driving.
I tend not to agreesive cornering when it's very wet, since You can easily skip of the road even with AWD (and You still need the good tires I mentioned).
ABS helps during emergency braking (which can happen to everybody) even in normal conditions, like dry roads, the need for agressive driving during poor weather conditions will not happen to everybody, so I don't agree with Your comparison with ABS.
I agree it can help with AWD if/when You want to drive agressively, but it's not a safety advantage, especially not compared with ABS.

We get plenty of rain here and I've never needed AWD when driving.
I tend not to agreesive cornering when it's very wet, since You can easily skip of the road even with AWD (and You still need the good tires I mentioned).
ABS helps during emergency braking (which can happen to everybody) even in normal conditions, like dry roads, the need for agressive driving during poor weather conditions will not happen to everybody, so I don't agree with Your comparison with ABS.
I agree it can help with AWD if/when You want to drive agressively, but it's not a safety advantage, especially not compared with ABS.

Why would you need ABS, then? I mean, can't you just start slowing down sooner instead of cramming the brakes on?

Why would you need ABS, then? I mean, can't you just start slowing down sooner instead of cramming the brakes on?

You need ABS for emergencies.
Ans as emergencies usually happens when You don't expect it, that's not really a valid argument.......maybe You can see into the future, but I can't.

You need ABS for emergencies.
Ans as emergencies usually happens when You don't expect it, that's not really a valid argument.......maybe You can see into the future, but I can't.

So I guess accidentally pulling out in front of someone isn't something that you would EVER do...even with hidden-driveways and accounting for others speeding in the rain, this is not the kind of emergency you would ever possibly find yourself in?

So I guess accidentally pulling out in front of someone isn't something that you would EVER do...even with hidden-driveways and accounting for others speeding in the rain, this is not the kind of emergency you would ever possibly find yourself in?

Yes, that do happen but I've still not needed AWD to help me. I can't think of a single time during my 22 years of driving, where AWD would have helped me accellerate and saved me, compared with my FWD cars.
And no way near enough times compared to other people pulling out in front of me (by accident or not), forcing me to do emergency braking (which actually do happen).

AWD makes more of a difference in the rain especially when the road surfaces are garbage like they are here

AWD makes more of a difference in the rain especially when the road surfaces are garbage like they are here

They can make a difference and help you accellerate in poor conditions, but you can't call it a safety advantage on par with ABS.

They can make a difference and help you accellerate in poor conditions, but you can't call it a safety advantage on par with ABS.

Maybe not as beneficial as ABS, but it's just one more thing...like adaptive headlights and so forth. It's one more thing between you, and the hospital, and that makes it "a thing", IMO

Absolutely agree 100%! As one who had a FWD CX5 and used to argue AWD didn’t matter if you were “careful”, I’ve been driving AWD for almost 3 months and it’s so much more than the wet road factor. It does help corner better, helps acceleration on stones onto a highway, helps pulling out from a hill onto a road, has a much better planted feeling to the road. I drive a lot of curvy back roads with hills and the control is so much better. A much better driving experience all around. Gas mileage for me only dropped about 2 miles/gallon, basically a non-issue.

Absolutely agree 100%! As one who had a FWD CX5 and used to argue AWD didnt matter if you were careful, Ive been driving AWD for almost 3 months and its so much more than the wet road factor. It does help corner better, helps acceleration on stones onto a highway, helps pulling out from a hill onto a road, has a much better planted feeling to the road. I drive a lot of curvy back roads with hills and the control is so much better. A much better driving experience all around. Gas mileage for me only dropped about 2 miles/gallon, basically a non-issue.

Yep. I used to argue about how AWD was a non-issue, and had all the same arguments I see time and time again. Then I ended up with an AWD Grand Jeep Cherokee w/HEMI, and my entire perspective changed. Like you said, you don't know what you're missing in EVERY situation until you try it. I love the "you shouldn't drive aggressively...but I bought a CX5 because it feels good to drive it aggressively" arguments, lol! I am honestly having trouble figuring out what sports car I eventually want to buy, because I don't want to spend 991/911 4S money, I don't like the GT-R, the WRX STi doesn't do it for me, and the EVO X got the axe. We need a $35-65K AWD performance vehicle in this market!

What are you talking about?? I can't tell you how many times I see people flying up behind me at a red light because they're not paying attention. If this happens in rain, I am definitely safer to have AWD which(based on my testing) gets me moving absolutely right away versus FWD where I know I would start spinning upon slamming the gas pedal down. So yes, AWD is 100% a safety advantage.

What are you talking about?? I can't tell you how many times I see people flying up behind me at a red light because they're not paying attention. If this happens in rain, I am definitely safer to have AWD which(based on my testing) gets me moving absolutely right away versus FWD where I know I would start spinning upon slamming the gas pedal down. So yes, AWD is 100% a safety advantage.
...usually because they're playing with their phones...

Back