Why get AWD?

Paying extra for an AWD drivetrain and pairing that with some useless all season tires and relying on this combination to get you through the snowy season is just not safe. Not saying youre doing this, although it seems like it. Many do this.

I did it last year. And I'm calling BS. My driveway can be very difficult to get into. My FWD Volvo with All Seasons struggles to get in some times. But not my AWD CX-5 with All Seasons last winter. Straight in. Every. Single. Time. Even backing in...impossible in the Volvo. Are winters better? No question. And I am getting winters this year. But to call All Season useless on an AWD is completely false.

I did it last year. And I'm calling BS. My driveway can be very difficult to get into. My FWD Volvo with All Seasons struggles to get in some times. But not my AWD CX-5 with All Seasons last winter. Straight in. Every. Single. Time. Even backing in...impossible in the Volvo. Are winters better? No question. And I am getting winters this year. But to call All Season useless on an AWD is completely false.

I know that this largely depends on what sort of weather conditions your area sees, but you cant possibly tell me that AWD with all seasons is safe in snow. Driving into a driveway at 3km/h is much different from actual driving. here in Toronto we get a lot of slushy s*** and terribly unpredictable snowfall so winter tires are preferable unless you drive really slowly.

lots of people get by with all season through the winter. In my experienceThe car had more the enough traction in a straight line, but when it comes time to actually stop and steer in an emergency situation, it was NOT happening. I think its best to use good judgement and decide based on your climate.

I have a RWD 528i, and that thing was absolutely terrible with all seasons in the snow. With winter tires, the grip, safety, and predictable balanced nature of a RWD BMW in the snow is by far the most fun you can ever have in the snow yet the capabilities were outstanding. As soon as you get the front end Inline, you literally just tap the gas and drift through the whole corner sideways barely needing to let go of the throttle. The braking is absolutely brilliant because of the 50/50% balance which allows the front axle to load up with braking force. If you go too hot into a corner, you brake while turning in and this naturally lets the rear of the car drift around the corner. when youre driving normally the car without a doubt better braking and steering potential unless were talking tons of snow. Traction off the line is obviously not as good as AWD, but youve got better traction over FWD without a doubt. A little tricky to launch in snow but once you get going youre off kicking up snow at everyone. I cant wait for it to snow.. lol

I live in the hills here and AWD cars are popular. Most people tend to stay with all seasons through the winter and they manage by driving carefully even on the steep hills. 2WD cars just get stuck.

I use winter tyres which increases the braking and handling capabilities exponentially but unfortunately, unlike most of the rest of Europe, they aren't a legal requirement so I often get held up in a line of stuck cars when it snows. However, winter tyres don't just help in snow. They make any car much safer in cold weather as they conform to the road and dispell water better. They are true "winter season" tyres.

Nothing worse than getting stuck anyway because of someone else ahead of you who made bad choices lol

It snowed in Arkansas - was headed up towards northern parts of it. Wifey had to get a new dress and cake for my 2 yo from a Walmart (in AR) - my rental Escape did well and then i turned to a small uphill street and my first thoughts were not going up here. A good guy made tracks with this truck no luck. A good home helped us and showed us another route which had the climb broken down into two smaller climbs. I followed the truck - zoom zoomed and made it.
2WD is perfectly good for majority of people. Its more challenging to drive and brings the natural instinct out of you. But if i were in mountains where it snows - AWD all the way.

Alex on Autos had this comment about Mazda CX9 AWD and Acura SH AWD. He said Acura was superior handling as it could send 70% power to the rear. But FWD alone - Mazda came out ahead no question. So good tires on CX5 FWD probably going to do better than cookie cutter Ravs Rogues and the likes.

A friend of mine has an Acura with SH AWD. He's got stuck before in low traction situations where the system gets confused. I've seen several tests like the rollers and diagonal that lead me to believe the Mazda will be superior here and on par with a Subaru system.

I know that this largely depends on what sort of weather conditions your area sees, but you can’t possibly tell me that AWD with all seasons is safe in snow.
Yea, I totally can. I am in my 40's. I've had many cars. I've used all seasons on every single car I've ever owned. (Disclaimer: wife had snows on her FWD car at my insistence). You can't possibly tell me all seasons are UNsafe in snow. That is absolutely ridiculous. I am not going to jinx myself and mention I've never had one snow related incident in any car I've ever owned (****! I am screwed now... thank you....). UNSAFE? Come on...

Driving into a driveway at 3km/h is much different from actual driving. here in Toronto we get a lot of slushy s*** and terribly unpredictable snowfall so winter tires are preferable unless you drive really slowly.
Bwahahaha Silly Canadian. Slushy s***. LMAO How about roads of SOLID ICE? Think you deal with "Winter" because you're farther north than me? I scoff at your piddly little 48 inches of snow per winter average. I raise you over 60 inches. And Cleveland Lake Effect Snow makes a snow storm in Toronto look like springtime in Cleveland. lol :D

My wifes Saab convertible with FWD and SNOW TIRES was easily the best car I've ever had in Winter. Our convertible... WAS our winter car. It was funny. We called it our snowmobile. It was incredible in snow, no doubt. I am not arguing that winters are far superior. But to say All Season are unsafe is simply. not. true.
I would rather have a AWD with all season versus a FWD with snows. This past winter confirmed that for me. This year I will have AWD and SNOWS. Very much looking forward to this combo.

I have a RWD 528i, and that thing was absolutely terrible with all seasons in the snow.
I had a RWD Pontiac Firebird with all seasons. The WORST car I've ever had in winter.,

It's also worth noting all seasons a pretty broad category with no real rules or standards. Some probably are unsafe but there are also some like Continental's latest offerings that do perform reasonably well. I still prefer dedicated winters myself.

Exactly. The performance oriented all seasons I use on my Focus ST are nothing at all like the M+S stamped all seasons I use on the Subaru.

Paying extra for an AWD drivetrain and pairing that with some useless all season tires and relying on this combination to get you through the snowy season is just not safe. Not saying you’re doing this, although it seems like it. Many do this.

Wrong.

What purpose does a dedicated winter set serve me and how are they financially logical when at best I have a few days a year of bad snow to deal with?

I don't know how it is up in Toronto, but here in Denver, it snows heavily one day and by the next day or 2 is all melted, and sometimes warmed up quite nicely. It's not a winter wasteland from November to April like people think it is.

If I still lived in the mountains, then I probably would get winter tires, but I don't. As such my Michelin all-seasons have performed quite well the few times I have had to drive some serious snow (which have been the exception, not the rule, I avoid driving in the snow as much as possible).

Last edited:
Wrong.

What purpose does a dedicated winter set serve me and how are they financially logical when at best I have a few days a year of bad snow to deal with?

I don't know how it is up in Toronto, but here in Denver, it snows heavily one day and by the next day or 2 is all melted, and sometimes warmed up quite nicely. It's not a winter wasteland from November to April like people think it is.

If I still lived in the mountains, then I probably would get winter tires, but I don't. As such my Michelin all-seasons have performed quite well the few times I have had to drive some serious snow (which have been the exception, not the rule, I avoid driving in the snow as much as possible).

Same, I'm in greater Vancouver, Canada and we usually only get 10+/- days of snow in the year. And like you, in most cases it's gone in a couple days. For our climate and the type and amounts of snow we typically get, AWD wins IMO. I can easily drive my AWD SX4 right in to and back out of a snow bank with all seasons.

I have very little need to pay the added $$ for snow tires. Leave lots of space and don't make any sudden steering/braking inputs and you're fine.

Now if you're mountain driving in the winter, by all means, get snow tires. Snow tires + AWD, even better.

Don’t forget we call them winter tires b/c they’re not just for snow. Also just cold temperatures affect the traction of rubber designed for warmer weather. Winter tires are more flexible and will give you better cold dry and wet traction too.

Don’t forget we call them winter tires b/c they’re not just for snow. Also just cold temperatures affect the traction of rubber designed for warmer weather. Winter tires are more flexible and will give you better cold dry and wet traction too.

It's usually near or above snow tires 'magic' 7C temperature in Vancouver most of the winter as well. It's just not practical to spend $1000+ for a few weeks out of the year.

Last edited:
Yea you west coasters don’t deal with the cold temps as bad. Here where I am we don’t get a lot of snow really but we do get really cold and ice. And ice is a big factor for me investing in winter tires.

Back