Why get AWD?

I have a FWD 2012 RAV4 and am about to buy a new CX-5. When accelerating from a dead stop into a corner with the RAV, the front end does some extreme wheel hopping . . . this is downright scary! Will the new FWD CX-5 do the same? Will a CX-5 with AWD eliminate the problem?

Yes the FWD will spin tires until the traction control kicks in to slow you down.

The AWD will notice your steering wheel angle, and be ready to engage the rear tires if there is any slight slip of the front.

I just come across this and the reason of AWD is for snow in winter.
When I said snow is for the normal 3-6 inches. If there is a blizzard, Netflix, Amazon Prime or Pay per View will do the trick staying at home.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I just come across this and the reason of AWD is for snow in winter.
When I said snow is for the normal 3-6 inches. If there is a blizzard, Netflix, Amazon Prime or Pay per View will do the trick staying at home.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Meh. I'd call local law enforcement, and they will send some beast with chains on it to come pick me up for work. The CX5 is not for blizzards, I agree!

Wusses..awd with winter tires 8.5" off the ground, she's winter storm tested/approved..Some can't stay home or get driven in! 19 years working 30+ miles one way- my first snow day was in 2017!

Wusses..awd with winter tires 8.5" off the ground, she's winter storm tested/approved..Some can't stay home or get driven in! 19 years working 30+ miles one way- my first snow day was in 2017!

Exactly. That is why I bought this vehicle. It needs to get me to work hell or high water, but if the snow is many feet deep like it can get in places I do NOT live, then yes, LE would have to be called to get me to work.

So far in rain the Toyo on our '17 do seem pretty good. I'll probably replace with 4 Michelin Premier once they're worn though.

I replaced mine 4 months ago with the Premiers. You won't believe how much quieter and much softer ride you get. Wet and dry performance blows away the stock junk more expensive Toyos. Check out the reviews on tire rack, they are rated extremely high by consumers and the tire rack testers in all categories.

The 2017 has iDrive and g-vectoring which are subtle yet effective systems. To me, having a bit more control is well worth the extra money. Sold my 2014 CX5 GT for the 2017 CX5 GT and everything is night and day. Vast improvements. Good snow tires and good to go!

I would be curious to hear your comments if/when you eventually get a set. I'm most likely going to try out some Nokia's for my next snow tires.

I likely will get them sometime late November-ish. I have to be able to make it to work, and it's a 35 min drive on twisty mountain roads, and ice/snow can make that pretty gnarly if you don't have proper equipment. It can then be 70*F and sunny the next day, hence I need a tire that does it ALL.

I likely will get them sometime late November-ish. I have to be able to make it to work, and it's a 35 min drive on twisty mountain roads, and ice/snow can make that pretty gnarly if you don't have proper equipment. It can then be 70*F and sunny the next day, hence I need a tire that does it ALL.

Sorta my attitude with tires in Denver. Dedicated winter set makes no sense. Maybe if I had a POS car and no AWD.

has anyone tried the yokohama Iceguard ig52c winter tires?

essentially it excels at all-around winter potential at the expense of traction in very deep snow. they are predictable in the rain, very smooth and quiet for a winter tire, excellent treadwear (truly outstanding) and they are by far the most impressive in slush. the traction in slushy snow is just unbelievable.

if you drive in very deep snow, I would get the blizzaks, x ice or nokians but these do everything all around the best. they are certainly RWD BMW approved :)

The thing that attracts me to the X-ice is Michelin actually offers a treadwear warranty (only winter that does as far as I know) and user reviews all point to good wear. They also test nearly as good as blizzak. So I think they will last longer given we get a variety of weather. Blizzak reputation is very short life.

Nokians are very good tires..and the aw variant should suit most winter demands w/awd just fine. Had old nrw (prior to wr line) on my mr2 and i swear ground clearance was my only ever issue..and when i say issue like 10"+ of unplowed so yeah phenomenal tire that still handles pretty nicely, just not cheap.. Ran wrg2 on my wife's civic years ago and was less impressed but it was more the civic itself than the tires. I fn hate fwd..have i ever mentioned:)

Your scenario is just about the same as mine except the mountain roads. Have to be at work no matter what and weather varies so much here in maryland, having a dedicated winter tire just doesn't make sense. But all season, leaning slightly more towards snow/rain tires is ideal I think.

Back