Interesting Find for TPMS add-on

zweren

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/ premium
I came across this today and thought tire safety monitor would be a good add-on to our TPMS system since we don't get actual tire pressure readings or other data that might be useful. Early bird price currently $99. Will retail for $119. This may be one crowd funded project that I actually pitch in for. Anyhow, just thought I would share.

ZUS Smart Tire Safety Monitor
Real-time tire pressure data. First ever slow leak detection. Easy install.

https://www.nonda.co/products/zus-smart-tire-safety-monitor
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zus-smart-tire-safety-monitor--2#/

Fantastic idea. After you buy it i can nick the sensors off your car.
Don't worry you can buy it back on eBay for$50

I discovered the TPMS only monitors differences between the tires. So....if they ALL drop in pressure (like mine did) the TPMS light will never come on. My tires were all down about 12 PSI. The TPMS system for Mazdas thinks that's fine. Now if ONE of them is low, well it will light up.

Very interesting. I'd be a bit nervous though that Kaps will steal them. We can't have nice things, like tire caps, in CLE. They'll get stolen. Although they do look plain, they... light up if you're low? Someone sees lit caps on my car, they're gone baby.

The CX-5 gas AWD i ordered doesn't have TPMS. Can anyone point me where I can buy OEM TPMS valves or is it better to install aftermarket TPMS instead.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

The TPMS seems to have changed in 2017 from earlier years and gone back to a transmitter in each wheel vs 2016 and earlier which uses the Anti Lock Brake sensors to compare rolling wheel speeds as a tire that is inflated lower will roll faster than a properly inflated tire. To make sense of this thread indicate if you have a 2017 or not.

Fantastic idea. After you buy it i can nick the sensors off your car.
Don't worry you can buy it back on eBay for$50

maybe.... from the 2nd link:

"Keep sensors secured with our locking kit, a set of 4 locking nuts, which locks your sensor in place to prevent your sensors from being easily unscrewed by strangers. This locking system also keeps your sensors tightly fastened when going off-roading. Included free of charge."

maybe.... from the 2nd link:

"Keep sensors secured with our locking kit, a set of 4 locking nuts, which locks your sensor in place to prevent your sensors from being easily unscrewed by strangers. This locking system also keeps your sensors tightly fastened when going off-roading. Included free of charge."

It's just a nut pushing up against the sensor. Yeah probably very difficult by hand but I bet all you need is angled needle nose pliers and they are off. And yes I do carry one in the car as part of my emergency tool kit.

I agree some determined person could easily remove those sensor caps, even with those anti-theft "locks." But I imagine at some point they will have replacement sensors that would be available for purchase. The only time I would worry about the sensors is when I take the car in for service. I'll dig into the comments section on the indiegogo page to see if I can find out what they plan to do about replacement sensors.

The TPMS seems to have changed in 2017 from earlier years and gone back to a transmitter in each wheel vs 2016 and earlier which uses the Anti Lock Brake sensors to compare rolling wheel speeds as a tire that is inflated lower will roll faster than a properly inflated tire. To make sense of this thread indicate if you have a 2017 or not.
OP has listed his CX-5 as 2017 in the profile. Yes 2017 CX-5 has build-in pressure sensor on valve stems for TPMS but 2016.5 and prior use ABS speed sensors. It'll be added expense and they can be expensive when you replace tires. But I believe the direct read and display capability on tire pressure should be a standard feature like Nissan Rogue if Mazda has decided to get rid of cheaper way for TPMS and uses dedicated pressure sensors. It should not be an aftermarket add-on kit we have to look for.

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor.jpg

Last edited:
It kinda makes sense to check pressure in ALL tires at least twice a year. Then original off - ABS TPMS looks way more attractive, providing you have summer/winter tire sets...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

It kinda makes sense to check pressure in ALL tires at least twice a year. Then original off - ABS TPMS looks way more attractive, providing you have summer/winter tire sets...
Yep, those new 2017 CX-5 owners living in the North soon will find out the extra expense on additional pressure sensors when they plan to get additional winter tire set with wheels.

Yep, those new 2017 CX-5 owners living in the North soon will find out the extra expense on additional pressure sensors when they plan to get additional winter tire set with wheels.
Here! Here! Glad I have older system in wife's CX-5. In my Tahoe it's a different story with in - wheel sensors. This is why I run All-Weather tires on it. Saves you a bunch...

Last edited:
>> It kinda makes sense to check pressure in ALL tires at least twice a year.

Am I crazy for checking the tire pressure in my 2 cars every Saturday morning (along with fluid levels)? :)

Am I crazy for checking the tire pressure in my 2 cars every Saturday morning (along with fluid levels)? :)
Oh, you bet you are. What, are you running for a community mascot? Nah, nobody does that, do you really?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

No. Twice....a year? I don't check it often May through August, but come winter? I check the pressure every week or two. When temps fluctuate a lot, you should check a lot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

At least they have a set to begin with. The 2017 CX-5 here in the Philippines is not equipped with TPMS so I have to buy a new OEM set.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Back